OC 4Ghz at very low temperature

Associate
Galdin - tbh, I haven't even tried 4ghz. THe lowest I have tried is 4.2ghz, and that needed about 1.223V at load to be prime and linx stable.

Been meaning to try 4ghz but have not had time.

I have gone up though. I am prime stable at 4.4ghz with 1.305V load, but temps were too high in prime (83-90 on the cores if I remember correctly). I ahve a screeenie somewhere - will dig it up.

Soldato
Welcome to the OcUK forums.

That is excellent results mate, I have talked with a couple of guys on XS forums who switched from the UD5 to the Classified, and they have said that they need a lot less voltages to get the same overclocks on the Classy.

I have been thinking about getting a Classified, but I don't know if it would be worth my while tbh.

They are lovely mobos though I will say that.

Associate
Thanks DavyBoy

Its my first i7 build - so I do not know how much difference there is compared to other boards, although I did hear similar things. I think the power regulation in general is very good on the board - probably why less vcore is required..

Soldato
Thanks DavyBoy

Its my first i7 build - so I do not know how much difference there is compared to other boards, although I did hear similar things. I think the power regulation in general is very good on the board - probably why less vcore is required..

Classified has Digital PWM right?

This is probably the reasons for needing less Vcore like you have stated.

I really want a Classy, but I don't think I can justify spending £309 on a mobo tbh, I wish that I had just got one to begin with when I first started this build..

Whats the best stable Bios for the gigabyte x58 UD5 and safest overclock on stock cooling ?

I am using F9e personally, but if you don't want to use a beta BIOS, then I recommend F7, if you purchased your UD5 recently, it will more than likely already be using F7 though, so there will be no need for you to flash it.

Remember if you do choose to flash the BIOS, don't do it in Windows with the @BIOS utility, just download the BIOS, and extract the file, then put the BIOS file onto a USB pen, then enter your BIOS and press F8 to get into the Q-Flash utility, and flash the BIOS from there with the file that's on your USB pendrive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ye im going to wait for gulftown and buy a classy at the same time then sell my ud5+d0

off topic is real quite without bulldog he will eating Souvlaki and downing Keo's by now :D

And thinking up new ways to cool his 920 and post the results. I'm sure we will be inudated with his findings soon enough...:D

Soldato
Classified has Digital PWM right?

This is probably the reasons for needing less Vcore like you have stated.

I really want a Classy, but I don't think I can justify spending £309 on a mobo tbh, I wish that I had just got one to begin with when I first started this build..

I am using F9e personally, but if you don't want to use a beta BIOS, then I recommend F7, if you purchased your UD5 recently, it will more than likely already be using F7 though, so there will be no need for you to flash it.

Remember if you do choose to flash the BIOS, don't do it in Windows with the @BIOS utility, just download the BIOS, and extract the file, then put the BIOS file onto a USB pen, then enter your BIOS and press F8 to get into the Q-Flash utility, and flash the BIOS from there with the file that's on your USB pendrive.

Thanks yes already on f7 so will leave it. just waiting to get a new after market cooler maybe H50 or megahelm with push pull.

Soldato
Ye im going to wait for gulftown and buy a classy at the same time then sell my ud5+d0

off topic is real quite without bulldog he will eating Souvlaki and downing Keo's by now :D

I imagine by the time the Gulftowns get released there will probably be a bunch of new X58 mobos around by then, maybe even another chipset..

I personally don't know whether I will upgrade to Gulftown tbh, it all depends on the price really.

Thanks yes already on f7 so will leave it. just waiting to get a new after market cooler maybe H50 or megahelm with push pull.

Yeah, I would say you are better off sticking with F7 tbh..

Associate
tbh, i think the single biggest factor in a sucessfull OC at low temp is the quality of the silicon on the chip... would be more cost effective to source a good chip

Soldato
tbh, i think the single biggest factor in a sucessfull OC at low temp is the quality of the silicon on the chip... would be more cost effective to source a good chip

This is true.

I am really happy with my current chips tbh, they are a hell of a lot better than the last 920's I had that's for sure.

I would really like to get a W3520 but I can't seem to source them anywhere in the UK..

Back
Top Bottom