OC questions from a new member

Associate
Hi all.
Right then, off i go with my first question.
I have an old pc that i built about 8-9 years ago now, (i wasnt into overclocking then), im looking to overclock it purely to see whats involved in overclocking and to see what extra i can get out the CPU.
I am planning on building a new system in a few months with all the latest hardware.

Right, i have and Athlon XP 2400 AXDA2400DKV3C, An MSI KT4V (version 1) motherboard, 2GB of Crucial pc2700 ram. Maxtor ata133 7200 80 GB hdd, ibm ata100 5400 60 gb hard drive, Geforce Ti 4200 AGP 8X and a creative labs sound card.

Now i know the following (please correct if im wrong) : the xp 2400 is a 133/266 stock fsb chip. The mobo supports a fsb of 166/333.

What is my aim?? ....is my aim to see if i can get the cpu to 166/333 fsb and then start to see if i can get it faster using the multipliers OR - should i be aiming to see if i can go beyond the the 166/333 fsb before even thinking about the multipliers.

btw, i have unlocked the multipliers on the cpu using the paint mod. it is 133 x15 by default but now i can change the mutliplier from 6.5 to 12.5.

your words of wisdom will be eagerly awaited - thank you

Associate
Are you bothered if you kill your computer.

If not get them volts whacked right up to 1.8 or so and up the fsb to as his as it will go lol

Lol um...

If you're looking to experiment with overclocking and learn a bit about it for future reference why don't you see how high you can take it while keeping it stable.

Increasing the multipliers and FSB have different effects on system speed - the first is cpu exclusive whilst raising the second increases the speed of information transmission across your motherboard + ram, and you'll need higher voltages across the board. There's loads of guides around about the two - some people just want a higher cpu speed and give the multiplier a bump. Most people go for a more balanced approach.

In terms of how to start out, you could either give yourself a target speed and calculate the multipler and fsb and work upwards to that testing for stability all the way, or you can just work up from stock and see how high you can take it.

But yeh, ****loads of guides. Just do a search.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your replies guys.
Im not bothered if i kill the CPU, however, i would like to get some over clocking done first.
I have at the moment, with no increase in voltage got it to 178.5 MHZ x 12 giving me overall 2142 mhz. Its still gets identified as an XP 2400 in when the puter boots up...so already i have something better than what i had - an extra 45.5 mhz on fsb. Stability is @ about 95%.
I have also just realised that there have been 4 bios updates for my mobo since i have had it so i will update them and see how it goes.

thanks for the tips, more are always welcome :D

Associate
OP
yeh im going to to do that. im at 1.66v at standard setting so will up the voltage in 0.250 increments and see where i get. windows loads ok enough, its just that the bit where you get the "windows update bubble" and volume icon take about 2 mins to load up. other than that all is good

Associate
OP
Final stable overclock

Right, final stable overclock of my athlon xp 2400+ (133x15) as per attached link. not too shabby for my first attempt at OC'ing (well i think so anyway :D ) http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1731074

Using an akasa heatsink and fan, better than the stock one i got all those 8-9 years ago.
I did get upto 1.8 volts but the instability was too much so i settled for a target of having myself a 333FSB CPU and upping the mulits until stable, in this case 12.5
I suppose i could do better but im not prepared to throw any money at this thing, its had its day. time for a new build after all these years.:D

Back
Top Bottom