OC'ing limits of Conro chips

Soldato
Ok, mainly focusing on the E6300, E6400, E660 and E6700.

Do they all have the same ratio of OC'ing abilities? Or can they all only be clocked to 1 singular max speed?

eg. If E6300 can be OC'd to say 3.3GHz
can the E6600 can OC'd to say 3.6GHz?
Or is the max speed for any of them set at a certain figure.

Like the old AMD XP barton cores, you couldn't OC any of them beyond 3.2GHz (allegedly). My XP2500 still runs fine at 3.2GHz after over 2 years.

Looking to chage up to conroe though now. ;)

Cheers
Jacko

Associate
Whats your budget, cos if u loaded then go 6800, if not go for 6300 and oc it.

I think there was a shootout between a fx62 and a 6800 and they would have done an overclock there for sure.

Associate
It is very much, chip and motherboard dependent. Even chips from the same wafer have differing characteristics. Add to that the efficiency of the cooling system and CPU volt mods, it is very hard to put a max to each of these chips.

It all depends how far you are prepared to go and how much you are prepared to spend to keep the chip cool. (5.1Ghz has been acheived using extreme cooling, cannot remember which C2D). But from what I have read around various forums, a 50% overclock is pretty much a certainty with all Core 2 Duos on air.

Last edited:
Associate
wizardmaxx said:
Thanks Kitten. Definately motherboard dependant. In fact total system setup i suppose. Good solid backbone = good overclock. ;)

definately wizardmaxx, I forgot to mention a stable and efficient PSU too

Back
Top Bottom