OCP?

Associate
The Kernel 41 error is what happens every time the PC doesn't get shut down properly, whether it's a crash, power cut, hard reset etc. OCP is to prevent PSU faults from frying your hardware. If it kicks in, I believe the unit simply shuts down.

If you haven't had any issues until now, it's quite possible that a bug in the beta software caused your crash and reboot. Although that PSU is on the cheaper end of the scale and is only Bronze rated, it's a very good PSU. In an ideal world, I'd have the graphics card running off two separate cables to spread the load across the rails. The FTW3 is factory OC'd and will draw around 300W under load.

Associate
The card will likely be drawing the full 75W from the PCI-E slot and the remaining power from the cable. I usually use two separate cables, as it also spreads the load across the cables themselves. Some of the cheap PSUs have very thin cabling that I'd be wary of putting 300W through. Your PSU cables look OK to be honest, but if I have a choice, I always use two cables.

It wouldn't be the first time that a software update has caused crashes. I had some fun with a buggy set of Nvidia drivers once, that kept causing blue screens. Needless to say I rolled back to the previous version!

Soldato
Strippping PSU's protections causes it to shutdown.

Thank you for the reply. Probably best I monitor it for now and if it happens again then I can add in another power cable (want to avoid it if I can due to cable management reasons).
You should always use one power cable from PSU per connector in graphics card instead of "splitting" cable.
That keeps voltage losses lower and power to graphics card more stable.
Not to mention wiring temperature farther from melting point of insulation...

Soldato
Can I ask why the cable (as with most power supplies) has enough connectors on it for 8+8 pin if one should never use them both?
No doubt marketing departments like being able to advertise more connectors.

Using thicker wires would sure allow splitting cable to two connectors.
But even if wires themselves are thick enough there's only one connector in PSU's end.
And those connectors have their own specified maximum current before power loss overheats them.

Seasonic actually has this on its FAQ page.
https://seasonic.com/faq/#custom-collapse-0-63e8eb9921d6b91c69c9ecbd00490c41

Myself have some electric engineering education and one of the rules in 230VAC side is 10A fuse for 1,5 mm2 wire...
If you look around lots of appliances break that current density like vacuum hoovers with their cables clearly warming up during use.

Actually effect of increasing current is more notable than you would think:
Instead of doubling power loss it actually rises to square of current.
Equation for power is voltage times current aka P=UI
With voltage being current times resistance aka U=IR
Which turns into P=IIR for power loss in that certain resistance, be it cable or connector. (or whole wiring)

Soldato
Corsair doesn't tell how PCI-e power cables are spread but factory overclocked 1080 Ti could in short spikes exceed 25A power draw.
Though OCP should shut down PSU and reboot hints more toward some voltage fluctuation or like that.

Anyway I guess that problem hasn't at least increased from lack of further post during my vacation away from computer.

Back
Top Bottom