OCUK Bug fans, could you tell me what this is please?

Soldato
I was looking around my room today with an eye for redecoration, and tucked away under the wooden things the curtain rails are attached to is this scary looking structure:
wtfisthat.jpg

I've been googling around trying to play insect through the keyhole (just what lives in a house like this) and I'm stumped. People on IRC said it looked like a wasps nest, but it doesn't look like paper to me, nor does it look like any of the wasps nests on google. It looks like some kind of excreted stuff that's hardened, almost like a termite mound thing. I'm loathe to touch it in case some kind of alien vampire zombie insect jumps out and eats my brain, so some reassurance as to what it is would go a long way.

Over to you guys. :)

Bri

Bri

Soldato
Found one on google images that looks a bit like it
waspnestjpg16me.jpg

I'd speak to your local council tbh.

EDIT, just spotted what I think looks like a wasp stuck in the spiders web actually, just under the piece of metal. That's some ballsy spider making a web there :p

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Stolen from google

Mud wasps are some of the most easily recognised wasps due to their large size and bright black and yellow colouring. These wasps have a long thin waist and long slender legs and are usually seen when they stop by puddles to collect mud which they roll into a ball and carry off to construct a nest. Although these wasps are quite large and are capable of stinging they are not very aggressive and tend only to sting if they are accidentally stepped on. Their nests are often seen attached to the walls or under the eaves of houses. Many sphecid wasps also construct mud nests in natural or man-made openings, including infrequently used taps and pipes or the handles of tools left outside.

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_wasps/Palmdart.htm

That link is very informative too :)

Last edited:

Aod

Aod

Soldato
or go to the hardware store tomorrow morning and buy a can of RAID, then fill the entire thing with the stuff.

<edit>
they're deffo wasps btw </edit>

Associate
It is a mud dawbers (i think thats how its spelled) nest. We get them where i go in america (Kansas). They can be pretty nasty when provoked, and the nest isnt easy to remove with a stick, but keep poking and it will come off. Just run a while if they chase you, they go back to the nest eventually.

Back
Top Bottom