OcUK Detectives

Soldato
I think my father is likely the target of a phone scam, although quite how it works is uncertain to me.

He received a call yesterday, the lady informed him he had shares from many moons ago in Merrill Lynch, the defunct incorporated by BoA company. She said they were an agent for a company attempting to buy up some of the foreign strands of business that still persisted for this company.
Specifically the acquisition of BlackRock Greater Europe Investment Trust PLC.
This company does indeed exist, my father is unaware of any shares he owns in the company, but due to dealings with a dodgy financial advisor who ran off with the pension pots of many souls some years ago, and was subsequently jailed, it is in fact possible that he has owned a vehicle or shares in this company, or a company that morphed into it.

She told him he had 298 shares, and recounted his current and previous address (postcode and all) which would have been his address when he first made pension investments (about 25 years ago).
He asked her for some time to think if he would like to sell and asked her to ring back today. (he assumed scam, wanted to ask me first), so we were waiting for the various forms, or call to ask for bank details or card details or some such, but today, on her follow up call, she said they had been tasked over the past 5 years of tracking and tracing share owners, and instead of asking for any details, forwarded him an NDA style document in relation to the sale of his shares.

Its the old if you have to ask, or if you think its too good, its sure to be a scam, but I can't figure what the scam is, unless that appears with the next section after they've hooked you and got the first info back from you?

The company she claims to be from is BlueWater International Advisors LLC
They have a website, but its news article are 2 years old, or appear to be, and I am sure they are a legitimate scam company, who continue to attempt phone scams for multiple years ;)

Can some of you nice chaps who know 'tin ter net' stuff look up
www.bluewaterinternationaladvisorsllc.com
and tell me how long it has existed etc?

From what I can tell it was created a week ago, and doesn't seem to have any legitimate info attached at all.

Don
A company called privacy protect holds their records so they are just generic on a whois report

Tit them up hare : http://privacyprotect.org

they might help

If you come across domains names that are using our Privacy Protection service and engaging in spam, abuse or other unlawful activities please use the Report Abuse form to submit your complaint. Our abuse team will review the complaint and reveal the contact information of the owner of the domain where appropriate.

Soldato
Identical website here, under a different name: http://www.solutionscapitalgp.com/

Their TOS seems trustworthy (altho most OCUKers do not believe in TOS anyway :D:p)

"
This is the privacy policy ("Privacy Policy") for the Solutions Capital G.P. LLC Web Site with a front page at the Company.com domain name (this "Site")."

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I assumed there would be some sort of ask for money later, clearly they have evolved their scams and don;t try directly, but aim to lull older folks by not asking for money or info straight out.

I reported to Uk fraud etc.

Man of Honour
The NDA would have screamed scam to me. It's social engineering to make sure he doesn't talk to anyone about it, while they complete the scam.

Soldato
The NDA would have screamed scam to me. It's social engineering to make sure he doesn't talk to anyone about it, while they complete the scam.
IIRC they try and hand deliver the "NDA". There was a thread on MSE a while back. I think this one is much bigger than a pay up front scam, it is a full blown identify theft.

Underboss
He received a call yesterday, the lady informed him he had shares from many moons ago in Merrill Lynch, the defunct incorporated by BoA company. She said they were an agent for a company attempting to buy up some of the foreign strands of business that still persisted for this company.

Just that bit tells me its a scam , straight away

Back
Top Bottom