OcUK DJs Call To Arms! OcUK Radio Station?

Permabanned
Hey guys :)

A few weeks back, I streamed a 2 hour live set on my mates' online radio station on Mixlr. If none of you have heard of this, it's a cracking website that allows you to stream live music broadcasts to the net for free :). It routes straight from your audio driver, so even if you are using audio outputs from a DDJ mixer to monitor it will still stream :). The quality of the website is great as well, the audio is really clear, and there are no audio issues that I've run into so far :).

Now, my idea is to make an official OcUK Radio Station on there. So that whenever people are up for it, and as long as no-one else is DJing, you can stream DJing/live music for as long as you want, and other OcUKers/randomers would be able to listen to your efforts. There will be no restrictions on music, so whether you are a massive raver or a metalhead you can stream whatever you like :)

Would anyone be interested in contributing to this in your spare time? I know of a few DJs on the forums, and I'm sure there are more, but with this idea you wouldn't need to be a DJ, you can stream whatever you like :)

Thanks for viewing guys, and let me know what you think :)

Associate
I'm no DJ, but being an old fart, I'd be massively up for doing an hour or two of 80's classics, if it can be streamed direct from my computer.

I fear though that the copyright issue would probably be enough to strangle what is otherwise a great idea before it even got off the ground :(

Soldato
Not really, considering that it is perfectly legal to stream any music that you want through that website.

http://mixlr.com/faq/#copyright

What is Mixlr's position on copyright issues?

Mixlr is offered as a service to copyright holders to broadcast and distribute their work on the internet. Mixlr does not promote or condone, either explicitly or implicitly, the illegal sharing of copyrighted material, and Mixlr will respond promptly to takedown requests. If you are a copyright holder and have a problem with content on Mixlr, please contact [email protected].

Sorry to rain on your parade mate but unless you are the copyright holder then you could (very very unlikely though!!!) be pursued by the holder.

Shame that, could have been good...

Permabanned
OP
http://mixlr.com/faq/#copyright

What is Mixlr's position on copyright issues?

Mixlr is offered as a service to copyright holders to broadcast and distribute their work on the internet. Mixlr does not promote or condone, either explicitly or implicitly, the illegal sharing of copyrighted material, and Mixlr will respond promptly to takedown requests. If you are a copyright holder and have a problem with content on Mixlr, please contact [email protected].

Sorry to rain on your parade mate but unless you are the copyright holder then you could (very very unlikely though!!!) be pursued by the holder.

Shame that, could have been good...

Hmm. I'm still not entirely clear on this. Since it's not sharing music, it's just like any other music streaming website, would this still be breaching copyright?

Soldato
Hmm. I'm still not entirely clear on this. Since it's not sharing music, it's just like any other music streaming website, would this still be breaching copyright?

Yes. If you transmit a copyrighted song without a license it is breaching copyright law. But like I say, the chances of repercussions are almost zero.

The countless Internet radio stations, stream casts etc are all flaunting the law. It's not worth the labels pursuing it though.

Just because it's not sharing doesnt mean it's not a breach, copyright protects loss of revenue. If you stream a song to a mate who doesn't have the song then the band have lost revenue because the person you streamed it to hasn't bought it. Radio stations etc have a license to do it so they can.

Back
Top Bottom