1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: OcUK exit poll and general election results thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Rilot, 12 Dec 2019.

?

For whom did you vote?

1. Brexit

8 vote(s)
    1.2%
  2. Conservative

227 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. DUP

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  4. Green

12 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Labour

204 vote(s)
    30.6%
  6. Liberal Democrat

117 vote(s)
    17.6%
  7. Plaid Cymru

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Sinn Fein

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. SNP

23 vote(s)
    3.5%
  10. TIG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. UKIP

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  12. Other party

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  13. Independant

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  14. Spoil ballot

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  15. Didn't bother to vote

49 vote(s)
    7.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy

Soldato

Sounds like a good way to run a country to me. :D ;)

2. NickK

Capodecina

I hear - but it relying on polls in hindsight is bad too given that the majorities UB each constituency were so close going door to door to form the policy would have not given the right result.

3. Gray2233

Mobster

I'd wager the vast majority of UKIP and BXP voters decided to vote Tory rather than risk splitting the vote, in the eyes of many this was another vote for Brexit and the Tories were the safest bet in that regard.

I have had a good laugh at the reactions from some of the hardcore Labour voters mind, people who were very much lost in their own little bubble.

4. LOAM

Capodecina

Same thing has happened with remain in England, big swing away from leave. Not that it matters

5. banbom44

Wise Guy

Labour need to get back to their roots get rid of all them left wing momentum nutters that have taken over the party.

6. Skillmister

Capodecina

Did Huw stay on all night? Fair play to the lad

Very surprised Aberconwy stayed Conservative and they actually gained considering it was a new non-local candidate. Just shows the overarching issues were Corbyn and Brexit

7. Sankari

Caporegime

Johnson entered this election promising to double down on austerity and deliver more tax cuts for the richest. So that's what we'll get.

Because it's worked so well.

^^ This.

8. Kenai

Capodecina

The comments about Labour I completely get but why are people seeing a nearly 40% improved vote count for Lib Dems as them getting 'put in their place'? They've achieved their best result in terms of overall support since the tuition fee debacle. Barring the embarrassing position of their lost seat being the seat of their leader, in terms of overall support they'll likely be fairly happy that they've hugely increased their support base.

9. shroomz

Wise Guy

But then, they promised austerity was over with the new parliament and their spending plans. Or do you think that's all old news now?

10. Psycho Ned

Sgarrista

Have to say I find the utter disconnect between social media opinion and the actual GBP opinion fascinating.

literally everyone has the internet (well like 90% do) so the opinion online you’d imagine would be roughly representative of public opinion yet time and again in the last 10 years this has proven to be totally wrong.

is it Tory voters and leavers just stay quiet or don’t frequent social media? If you listened to Facebook and Twitter you’d believe literally everyone voted remain and voted Labour or Lib Dem!

11. Sankari

Caporegime

I doubt it. Farage was openly hostile to the Tories by the time the election was in full swing. The BXP mantra was 'Johnson won't deliver a real Brexit', and I suspect BXP and UKIP members voted accordingly.

That was most likely the perception, even though it's hilariously wrong.

12. Vern1961

Mobster

In Swindon South it was a straight choice between Tory, Libdem and Labour - no other candidates, not even the screwball ones.

Went to bed last night after seeing the exit polls and it has certainly been borne out with the results this morning. Briefly watched some of BBC Breakfast and their SJW left wing presenters looked deliciously downtrodden. Although I voted Labour it was more of an anti-Brexit protest and I'm quite relieved not to wake up to Corbyn running the country, as for Swinson… don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Interesting times ahead. Brexit now effectively a dead cert, just remains to see under what terms we leave. Pritti Patel probably already ordering in the contractors to rebuild the gallows in Wandsworth and Pentonville prison. NHS - we will have to see where it goes though I suspect not much will change in the short term.

13. Sankari

Caporegime

Old news, Johnson will now pretend he has a mandate for aggressive cuts. He'd be a fool to pass up this opportunity to cripple the NHS even further.

14. Sankari

Caporegime

^^ Agreed. Lib Dems have been thoroughly resuscitated, this is an encouraging result for them.

15. Skillmister

Capodecina

Clearly that's not true though as on any politically related post from either side (con/lab or Brexit/remain) you get vocal mud slingers from both sides. If you aren't seeing that I don't know what's going on with your social media feeds

16. Gray2233

Mobster

You're assuming people blindly follow Farage when ultimately his party did well in the European Elections due to the message it was trying to send. Voters have agency, those wanting Brexit will vote for who is most likely to deliver it. While anecdotal, I know numerous people who voted Tory that also supported the Brexit Party on that basis.

17. Combat Fighter

Soldato

Long live Brexit! :cool:

What a great day :)

What a bad day to be re moaner :p

18. Kenai

Capodecina

The only issue I see for them is establishing if it was real support or single issue remain support falsely inflating their numbers on the revoke policy alone and it'll all evaporate in 5 years if that issue is no longer a talking point.

19. MookJong

Sgarrista

Huge relief this morning.

To people who are horribly upset by the result I would say give it some time. The idea Johnson is far right as the activists will tell you is ridiculous. This is one of the most liberal spending plans for years. Look At Boris' track record as London Mayor in a Labour heartland. Why was he reelected.

I'm not a huge Boris fan by any means I would far rather have someone else run the country but the hysteria over far right is just utterly laughable. Boris is far too lax on immigration to my mind. He wants an amnesty for illegal migrants for example which I think is madness and send s completely the wrong message. I worry Boris is too liberal in some areas!

I hope we have a right leaning government who ends austerity. Labour need to get back to the center and drop the whole social justice activist nonsense. I mean Boris' term is probably going to look something like pre-Corbyn Labour anyway.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2019
  20. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Wow.
    Well, we're in for 5 years of hell.

I see Trump is vocally rubbing his hands already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.