cdm.jpg

6 GB/s MS drivers
atto.jpg

6 GB/s AMD drivers
atto.jpg

SOURCE

Soldato
Nope.

Basically sub 100GB is for cheaper slower drives, helps keep prices realistic for smaller drives. :)

>_< Logic fail. Price comparison:

OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB (£180)
OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB (£90-100)

Why is it they can produce the 60GB 2E drive for 50-55% of the 120GB price, but they can't do the same with the Vertex 3? 60GB Vertex 3 drives would sell like crazy, most 'mainstream' users aren't going to fork out £220 for a drive even if it does offer 550MB/s read speeds. Even if they priced a 60GB version at £120-130 they'd still tempt a lot of people away from the C400...

Soldato
>_< Logic fail. Price comparison:

OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB (£180)
OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB (£90-100)

Why is it they can produce the 60GB 2E drive for 50-55% of the 120GB price, but they can't do the same with the Vertex 3? 60GB Vertex 3 drives would sell like crazy, most 'mainstream' users aren't going to fork out £220 for a drive even if it does offer 550MB/s read speeds. Even if they priced a 60GB version at £120-130 they'd still tempt a lot of people away from the C400...
They might have plans for a 60 GB version in the near future but want to hold out a bit so that early adopters have to buy the larger drives and spend more.

These units use apparently 8 GB NAND chips with 8-byte lanes. Since there are 8 channels available, that means a maximum of 512 GB can be addressed. Thus, we are likely to see 480 GB Vertex 3s at some point too. This came from a review that I'm pretty sure is wrong but their 512 GB maximum is probably correct. The Vertex 3 Pro uses a higher-end controller and can access twice as much NAND, meaning we might see 1 TB Vertex 3 Pros eventually.

Apparently OCZ have some sort of deal that allows them to use SandForce firmware that provides unrestricted 60k IOPS, rather than their normal firmware for this class of controller, which limits to 20k IOPS for anything more than burst operations.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why does it state a maximum of 500mb/s read/write, when the benchmarks are showing just over half of that?

And I want one. I have a corsair reactor 120Gb here which just came back from RMA. I might just skip reinstalling it and go for one of these . . . . :D

Soldato
Why does it state a maximum of 500mb/s read/write, when the benchmarks are showing just over half of that?

And I want one. I have a corsair reactor 120Gb here which just came back from RMA. I might just skip reinstalling it and go for one of these . . . . :D
These drives use on-the-fly compression to reduce the number of writes and reads needed to save and retrieve data. Most benchmarks (e.g. AS-SSD and CrystalDiskMark) use incompressible data, which will be slower than highly compressible data (such as what the ATTO benchmark uses).

Apparently ~80% of every day system files are compressible and so you should get pretty near the advertised figures when using a Vertex 2/3 as an OS drive. If you use it for incompressible stuff like audio or video, speed won't be as good.

Associate
2 in RAID 0 please :cool:

I would go for 4 Vertex 2s 60GB - cheaper, as fast and more space than 2 V3 100gb.

I currently have 3 V2 in R0 and was thinking of getting a couple of V3s so I could put the V2s as boot drives for my various HTPC. I won't at that price.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
though one could just buy a SATA6 card. :)

Don't think they make them for laptops. :p

I've got a 2E in my laptop and love it for both performance and resilience, so unless these are substantially faster over SATA2 then the benefit to me might be cheaper big 2E drives. You might get me to open my wallet yet. :)

Associate
Got me a Corsair x64, just ordered a Crucial C300 128gb yesterday; which is going back. Think I can wait a few weeks for such a leap in speed ;)

Soldato
I need to know the speed for Sata II as my board doesn't support any Sata III but I think it will be same speed as my OCZ Vertex 2 on my Sata II board if I use that OCZ Vertex 3 on my same board.

Associate
I built my wife an whole system less than that 240GB one !

Would be nice but going to wait until after a motherboard upgrade before buying an SSD's

Back
Top Bottom