OcUK Gaming Enigma Enthusiast-what would you change?

Associate
I was going to build a pc up from components but if I want something before about April/may it looks like I have to go with a prebuilt system due to the wait on graphics cards.

I'm considering the Enigma Enthusiast and wondering what folks would change. This is going to be primarily for flight sim work as I have other computers for everything else. I've not built a pc before and not owned a windows machine before (30 years of Mac laptops) so I know sod all about motherboard specs etc. I already have a 4k monitor but eventually plan to run VR goggles on it. I have spare keyboard and mouse.

I know I want 32Gb of ram so I need to upgrade that and will probably ask to replace the stock 16Gb with https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs432g360c8k-my-107-pa.html

Motherboard, do I need the B550 instead of the B450 it comes with? Why?

replace the 2Tb spinning drive with 1Tb SSD https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c-hd-56l-wd.html

Other than that, I hope OC would spec a reliable machine so don't know that I'd change anything else.

Soldato
B450 is still a solid go to buy, B550 has the Gen 4 support but not always needed by user, like me I didn't have any Gen 4 components...

Just double check what PSU will be used as sometimes OCUK use Kolink and they have a shorter warranty than most other manufacturers, you could replace that just to cover yourself for a few extra years

Associate
OP
Thanks very much. I'm hoping not to have to upgrade for a while so hopefully a 450 motherboard would be ok. Not sure what counts as Gen 4 components but if the 3070 graphics card is Gen 3 then I think I'm ok there. Good tip on the psu, I'll ask them about that. Thanks.

Associate
OP
I'm prepared to run a lower resolution if necessary on the monitor to keep the frame rate up. Probably want a solid 50-60fps. Ability to run VR headset it more important to me than 4k resolution at this point.

Soldato
Would that make a significant difference going up from the 5700?

from the 3700x CPU, yeah - new Ryzen CPU are pretty powerful !

another alt is intel

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...0kf-geforce-rtx-3070-gaming-pc-fs-1ea-og.html

or

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Gaming Firefly Plus - Intel 10th Gen Core i5/i7 Gaming PC = £1,639.94
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
    • Solid State Drive:TeamGroup 512GB Vulcan G SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
    • Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
    • Security Software:**Special Offer** Bullguard Internet Security - Anti-Virus and Security - 1 Year 3 PC
    • Case:phanteks Eclipse P360 Air Mid Tower Case Tempered Glass DRGB - Satin Black
    • Graphics Card:*Build Stock* Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
    • CPU:*Build Promo* Intel Core i7-10700KF 3.8GHz (5.1GHz Boost) Comet Lake Processor - Retail
    • WIFI:Unwanted
Total: £1,654.04 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Associate
can i ask just how much messing about can you do. The 3060Ti is in build stock, so would change to that. Also change the case, RAM, motherboard.
Basically I am buying a pre-built to secure the GPU and then change a lot of other stuff?
Is that possible?

Associate
I am pretty sure that OCUK can customize most any OCUK system you are buying, just depends on component availability and time to assemble
You're best opening up an email with them and discussing it and then they can tell you what the price will be depending on what parts you want

Associate
emailing them directly is the best way, my idea would be find the system that requires the least changes to their configurator, and then email them or call them about costs to get the bits you specifically want

Associate
OP
I ended up buying a system elsewhere, almost exactly as I wanted it but they were the only place I could find that had an RTX 3080 available. Got the system on next day delivery and it's amazing. Cost about £100 more than it would have from OC but they said OC didn't know how long it would take to get the graphics cards in.

Soldato
I ended up buying a system elsewhere, almost exactly as I wanted it but they were the only place I could find that had an RTX 3080 available. Got the system on next day delivery and it's amazing. Cost about £100 more than it would have from OC but they said OC didn't know how long it would take to get the graphics cards in.

what specs is the system ? hope you were able to get a better PSU etc

Back
Top Bottom