OCUK Kinetic ZX - Intel Z390 Coffee Lake Refresh DDR4 Gaming PC - component check please?

Associate
Greetings!
1st time caller here, I'm finally upgrading my old skool desktop and really would like some pro assistance with the components I'm choosing. Mainly just to check I'm not missing something important or if I can save money on a recommended component change.

PC Intended use: general workstation, audio production(Ableton Live) and occasional gaming (quite fancy GTA V) but not online. I do intend to connect pc to my Samsung UHD TV (Model UE40MU6400) via HMDI

Have chosen a OCUK build 'Kinetic ZX' and have the basis as follows: £1,209

Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass RGB Special Edition - Black/White
Processor Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM
Memory Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G30)
Primary Drive Samsung 500GB 860 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 64 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-76E500B/EU)
Secondary Drive Not selected
Graphics Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
WIFI Not selected
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems

I'm aiming on adding:
Wi-Fi adaptor: Asus PCE AC38 (router in another room)
2nd H/Drive: 2TB Firecuda (64mg cache SSHD)
Optical Drive: 24x dual layer- (still have a cd player in my car!)
Also want to change out:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 U.D. to a Asus Prime Z3790 - A
PSU: Kolink 600W to Be Quiet Straight Power 11 650W (Will 650W be enough?)
CPU Cooler: Liquid cooler in quote (not sure what brand is supplied) to a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 air cooler
Case: Phanteks Entho Pro M Glass RGB special ed. B&W to Fractal Design R6 with Type C Midi Tower.

My budget is £1.5k and I still need a quality keyboard & mouse. (could be a bit tight).
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, need a full size keyboard, would really like a backlit wireless one. Are wireless keyboards any good for gaming?

Spent many many months trawling specs and prices & you tube videos and now need to finalise a purchase. Hope to own a fairly future proof pc very soon.
Cheers muchly ;)

Soldato
Gigabyte board is better then the asus , by a good way even though its a budget board .

OCUK should be able to build for £50-80 on top .

Vega 56 will perform much much better at 4k gaming, gtx 1060 wouldn't even touch it. but personally would scale resolution down to 1440p . Also get 3 free games with the vega card :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,343.82 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Associate
OP
Hey orbitalwalsh,
Many thanks for reply, some great choices there that I hadn't even considered.

I love the Gigabyte Gaming SLI board and RX Vega 56 combo - now considering this big time :D
The Vega 56 site recommends a 650W PSU, so wondering if I should go with my original choice of Straight Power 11 650W? although £29 more, or should I be considering more power?

As for the case you suggest, looks great and so much cheaper than the FD R6 but it doesn't have usb C on the i/o. Maybe an adapter would suffice (not that I have any usb C devises atm, was just trying to future proof.

May now change the SSD out for Samsung 970 evo polaris 500gb-m.2-2280-pci-e-3.0-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive £109.99
Will still a 2TB HD, then can always add a SSD at a later date. Are the SSHD's so much better than a standard HD?

Is the Asus PCE-AC68 Wireless adapter still worth it for connection speeds v PCE-AC56 ? (£25 less)

Getting quite exciting now, thanks again, really appreciated.:)

Soldato
@Faderboy
If you can push the AC68 then yes. Whats annoying is that Aorus boards with the same onboard wifi as the AC68 is out of stock . Few reviewers and some leading PCB tubers have circuit reviews on the Z390 boards and Aorus/Gigabyte are ranked the top in low,middle and top budgets - that with black Friday they have sold out fast!

The 600w can handle it

https://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator

im lucky, I know bequiet staff well , ran their 500w with Stock Vega 56 and ryzen 1600 and was all fine :)

Straight 11 is made with better quality components though ... I was just trying to save cash here and there

found the with USB -C version of the cooler master case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/coolermaster-mastercase-mc500m-midi-tower-case-black-ca-372-cm.html

the 5.3" Bay (2 of them ) is hidden

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/mastercase-mc500m/

also get a light panel with RGB ;)

Vega GTA 5 . vs GTX 1070. can see at 4k it pulls away , 1440p equal and a gtx 1070 is a LOT better then gtx 1060
3min 1440p and 6 min for 4k

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@orbitalwalsh

Thanks, your quick!!!!!
I saw the other Aorus boards were out of stock :(

Good find on the updated case. Am I right in thinking that the Z390 Gaming SLI board doesn't offer a Usb-C connection?
The Z390 Elite was only £25 more and had a spdif out as well.

Cheers for info on 600W bequiet, that's good to know.
GTA 5 looks amazing, deffo on my list of games.

As for light panel, the new suggested case mc500m has the panel built in, so assuming just need to purchase some led light strips?

Usb-c or not to usb-c, that is the question!?!?

Seriously big thanks for your time, really helpful. :cool:

Soldato
no worries, I have USB C phone , SD card reader and Port on my case Lian Li Dynamic and Aorus Ryzen board. love the fact can grab pics from DSLR and plug into PC or phone and fraction of the time for transfers as use fastest SD speeds you can get .

The panel should either be controller via the case or plug directly into the Mobo. If you can push the Aorus do it, VRM design is 12+1 vs 10+2 of the Gigabyte. which is still more then rivals

the 3 free games AMD is offering with the Vega card is about £130... but 2 arent out yet till next month or January , so least AAA titles

aorus boards flown out the window this black friday. been even write ups of being best in case for every price point then others. Bios is their weak spot but went all out, their z370 line up was not very good see

Associate
OP
I bet its tech heaven round at yours orbitalwalsh :D hopefully speedier transfer times are just round the corner for me.

Been checking out the Aorus Pro WiFi Z390 and although more exe £199.99 it alleviates the cost of buying the Asus PCE-AC68 adapter.
Think that's the way forward, I know their out of stock atm so poss a few extra weeks delay, no worries there.

I've checked out the specs again on the Cooler Master Case MC500M and header has 3 x 3.0 usb as well as the usb-c.
Checked the Aorus Pro and it has internal headers 2x usb3.1 & 4x usb2.0. Are the 3.1s compatible? & maybe not the usb2?

Any suggestions on a light panel with RGB? Haven't a clue what I'm looking for.
I'm still such a pc beginner so apologies for silly questions.

I saw a clip of the side view of the case (fully built) and see there is no psu side cover, all cables on view a bit messy. :eek:
Haven't yet found another suitably priced case that offers the same decent spec & have spent another whole eve looking! PCs taking my life away :)
Maybe will just have to get over it.

One final, can I ask what Keyboard & Mouse you have? recommend? still cant decide on wired/wireless. budget £80-£100
Big up to you again for all your help

Soldato
I bet its tech heaven round at yours orbitalwalsh :D hopefully speedier transfer times are just round the corner for me.

Been checking out the Aorus Pro WiFi Z390 and although more exe £199.99 it alleviates the cost of buying the Asus PCE-AC68 adapter.
Think that's the way forward, I know their out of stock atm so poss a few extra weeks delay, no worries there.

I've checked out the specs again on the Cooler Master Case MC500M and header has 3 x 3.0 usb as well as the usb-c.
Checked the Aorus Pro and it has internal headers 2x usb3.1 & 4x usb2.0. Are the 3.1s compatible? & maybe not the usb2?

Any suggestions on a light panel with RGB? Haven't a clue what I'm looking for.
I'm still such a pc beginner so apologies for silly questions.

I saw a clip of the side view of the case (fully built) and see there is no psu side cover, all cables on view a bit messy. :eek:
Haven't yet found another suitably priced case that offers the same decent spec & have spent another whole eve looking! PCs taking my life away :)
Maybe will just have to get over it.

One final, can I ask what Keyboard & Mouse you have? recommend? still cant decide on wired/wireless. budget £80-£100
Big up to you again for all your help

cables should all work together nicely :) Aorus Pro USB C internal is located just underneath the RAM slots :)

im a bit useless with keyboards hahaha and sorry for late reply

Associate
OP
Hey @orbitwalsh, thanks for info.
Think I've finally done with my spec (and yes, blew the ole £1.5k budget out the window a bit). ;)

Decided I wasn't happy on the case MC500M and to spend more on the Fractal Design Define R6 with USB-C
Also, extra money spent on the Gigabyte GTX1070ti instead of the Vega 56. Think I'm doing the right thing there.
Deffo going to wait for the Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi to come back in. Oh & went for the Samsung EVO 970 500g m.2 nvme instead of SSD with the 2TB Firecuda HD
Happy with I5-9600k & the Dark Rock 4 cooler. No extra RGB/Leds apart from that on the board and gpu.

I did note all the prices went up for the Be Quiet PSU's so I'm again deciding on the Straight Power 11 650W (£30 more than last week) He who waits!

Keyboard & Mouse Combo - Steelseries Apex 150 & Rival 310 £79.99
So, all in (built & delivery) for £1.8k !! :eek:

Fingers crossed this should see me through for eternity, lols
Any final thoughts appreciated.
Cheers

Soldato
Hey @orbitwalsh, thanks for info.
Think I've finally done with my spec (and yes, blew the ole £1.5k budget out the window a bit). ;)

Decided I wasn't happy on the case MC500M and to spend more on the Fractal Design Define R6 with USB-C
Also, extra money spent on the Gigabyte GTX1070ti instead of the Vega 56. Think I'm doing the right thing there.
Deffo going to wait for the Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi to come back in. Oh & went for the Samsung EVO 970 500g m.2 nvme instead of SSD with the 2TB Firecuda HD
Happy with I5-9600k & the Dark Rock 4 cooler. No extra RGB/Leds apart from that on the board and gpu.

I did note all the prices went up for the Be Quiet PSU's so I'm again deciding on the Straight Power 11 650W (£30 more than last week) He who waits!

Keyboard & Mouse Combo - Steelseries Apex 150 & Rival 310 £79.99
So, all in (built & delivery) for £1.8k !! :eek:

Fingers crossed this should see me through for eternity, lols
Any final thoughts appreciated.
Cheers

either or should do well, gtx1070ti is more powerful card in 1080p and 1440p but 4l i think 56 can match it - only really good thing is the 3 free games that come with it!

also, see about getting Intel Retail version, £5 MORE......BUTTTTTTTTTTTT you get BFV free and killing grounds 2 :)

also with GTX 1070TI you can use a 500w bequiet PSU just fine , I did :)

jumping to 1.8k built ? im guessing the case adds some costs to it

vega 64 windforce is £400 :)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-19n-gi.html

https://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator

want 650/700w unit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom