1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ocuk manifesto 2019

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Dolph, Nov 10, 2019.

1. dragonslayer

Hitman

1. Change the way doll money works for example if you were employed for 2 years then you can only claim 1yr worth of doll money people who has never worked shouldn't be allowed to claim money that they haven't helped fund

2. Reduce tax/ for those who cycle to work/ drive E cars this should encourage more people to take more environmentally friendly transport

3. Criminals cannot be named until found guilty far to many good people have had their lives ruined due to press plastering them as rapist and murderers when they've been innocent also make it so that note female criminals are published because as it stands it's mainly men who are televised as criminals

4.every single newly built has MUST have solar panels on them this would help reduce carbon emissions

5. Improve the UKs broadband but also create a government owned broadband provider that provides broadband for families who can't afford there own / offer discounted prices

6. Create special bike roads where cars/ people aren't allowed on them obviously you can't do this in main cities but you could do it in smaller towns that link up to each other & make it illegal and have a hefty fine for people throwing glass& liter into bike lanes

7. People in jail should be forced to work for cheap labour in manual jobs building things like washing machines/ police equipment for instance this way we wouldn't have to buy so much from China and it would help boost our economy ( America currently do this)

8. Make it illegal for any politician to lie about their plans etc

9. Increase punishment for tax avoidance of you are caught avoiding tax you should be required to pay the full amount back+ 100% extra so if you are caught avoiding 1mil tax you have to pay 2mil

10. Encourage more companies to give back to the area they are in by donating money/ organising events to clean up surrounding areas maybe offer them a small tax rebate or something

11. Increase tax for online only companies and reduce the tax for high Street shops to try and encourage more people into the high streets again

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. SPG

Soldato

Dole money helps people. Taking away the little they have will male the poor even worse off and bring even more resentment, more crime and more division.

The amount is nothing in the grand scheme of things anyway.

3. thenewoc

Mobster

Mine would be...

1. Get Brexit done for a starters.

2. Immigration points system.

3. Border security - return asylum seekers to the continent since they don't have a valid reason to be seeking asylum here and step up drug detection.

4. Finish HS2, promote distributing some of the London economy to the North.

5. Tax system reform to address businesses off shoring their Corporation Tax liability and basically avoiding most of it.

6. Reduce business rates on the high street.

7. Tougher benefits system, tiered approach to relief based on contributions and tapered off after a reasonable length of time to find work, longer for those that have paid in more and are seeking a similar post to that which they are skilled for.

8. New build housing for low income, unemployed and elderly like Travel Lodge style accommodation rather than a complete house or flat for those without children.

9. No child benefit other than for 1st child. No state funded housing beyond what's necessary to house a max of two children.

10. No full state pension unless you've actually worked and made necessary number of years contribution otherwise tapered off to eliminate those acquiring 30 years of benefits produced contributions getting an equal pension to those that have actually worked.

11. Reform the political system, PR.

12. Business premises planning permission reform for designated areas such as Wales and the North to green light certain areas for re purposing dead residential areas or brown field zones to new high tech manufacturing zones with economic tied accommodation. Think Quaker principles.

13. Reduce waste in the NHS from outsourcing and unnecessary layers of middle management.

4. SPG

Soldato

1. Revoke housing associations, bring back under council control
    2. Ban the selling of council house stock of existing and new builds
    3. Council rents are to be ring-fenced into maintenance & new housing stock build requirements
    4. All new builds to have private balcony/garden (revert the stigma cause by Tories)
    5. Add lifetime rent contracts for council stock, this can be re-negotiated as and when required (more space, less space, warden care etc)
    6. Tax relief for council for all work currently outsourced which is brought under council control
    7. Councils have stronger powers to evict people who do not maintain basic standard of maintenance to the property, Garden, general appearance. (Inspection required yearly)

5. thenewoc

Mobster

Would also stop foreign domestic property investment as it's fueling the housing bubble and I'd include house prices in the inflation figure that the BoE has to keep under control. The point of having an independent national bank should surely be to play it's part in preventing a housing bubble.

Time limited visas rather than citizenship.

6. FoxEye

Capodecina

Yeah there are plenty of outright lies.

To give a recent example: many of the Tories were saying the EU was forcing us to leave by the 31st October. They even managed to keep a straight face.

7. Django x2

Capodecina

BREXIT would just have to be done and dusted. There is no good outcome, and honestly, I'm staggered as to why anyone would think there would be.

These are the BREXIT options and outcomes:

1. Re-vote same result = leave with no deal
    2. Re-vote different result = EU don't want us anymore so leave anyway/get kicked out
    3. Defer looking for a deal = Why are we expecting a deal out of leaving here? Do I get free stuff and deals when I leave a supplier of a service I've used? No. Why are we disillusioned to believe this is any different?
    4. Ask to stay = EU allows us to stay, but even moreso on their terms and under heavier sanctions and penalties.

No good outcome from any scenario = seriously, just get on with it now.

8. Sheff

Hitman

I know that a lot of people say that political parties are a broad church but I think we'd have to come up with a completely new belief system to incorporate some of those!

Out of those, if we do end up leaving the EU I'd agree with the following:

I think I prefer the solution others have posted with regards to benefits, a negative income tax for households (I'd suggest households unless there's a way for single parents to be taken into account) and a flat tax rate that combines National Insurance. If this doesn't generate enough tax revenue then perhaps create an additional band for those earning an order of magnitude more than the national median salary - so currently £284,000.

9. robfosters

Caporegime

Doesn’t get much more draconian than that! Making poor old people live in the equivalent of low budget hotel rooms :rolleyes:

10. thenewoc

Mobster

or

affordable housing for the elderly that haven't made enough provision for their retirement!

11. robfosters

Caporegime

No, not everyone has the means to make enough provision for their retirement.

your suggestion would be like a punishment. Abhorrent viewpoint.

12. englishpremier

Soldato

• Codified constitution - relying in centuries old scripts, and random conventions doesn't cut it in the modern wold
    • Vote on Proportional representation
    • Work towards freedom of movement, and free trade deals with commonwealth nations of similar parity Aus, NZ, Canada.
    • Planning for high speed - east west transport links
    • Better distribuition of businesses and major infrastructure around the country, perhaps by moving some government offices, tax breaks for major employers opening new headquarter/office in poor regions
    • Close Westminster Palace for Politics and turn it into a tourist attraction. Move the houses to better suited purpose built facility, perhaps not even in London
    • Natural speed limits in areas it makes sense - i.e set speed limits to the speed that around 80% of people would drive on that
    • All in one ID card and driving license - Foreign workers with residency would also be required to get a card, A bit like how things work on the continent.

13. satchef1

Mobster

Tax Avoidance isn't illegal.

Tax Evasion is illegal, and already carries a maximum fine of 200% of the money owed, plus jail time.

Here's an example:

Jim runs a sole trader business. He makes £100k per year in income, but has £40k per year in deductible expenses. The law allows him to only pay income tax and national insurance on the difference, so £60k. That is tax avoidance. There could be a bunch of things among those expenses that a regular employee would have to pay for out of their net salary, which may seem unfair to some. But it isn't illegal.

If it turns out he actually did another £20k of unreported cash in hand work, then that would be tax evasion, which is illegal. He could go to prison and be ordered to repay the £20k plus up to another £40k as a fine.

So what are you proposing? That avoidance should be made illegal? Or that the maximum fine for evasion should be reduced to 100%?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  14. Scania

Capodecina

Charge foreign registered HGV’s for using our road network.

More safe and secure overnight parking, reduce the frankly obscene parking charges at service areas.

Reduce the maximum duty and driving limits for HGV drivers, as many transport companies see such limits as targets.

I think I’d be a great MP, blatantly serving my own interests. :p

15. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I'm struggling with Land value Tax and how it might be implemented in the UK. I can see the benefits in so far as it gets unproductive land back into usage but how does it affect the domestic land owner? I remember Labour were/are keen on this idea. I have for instance lived in the South East and South Wales, very different areas. The workers South East may not have much disposable income but through long term ownership own "valuable" land and attract high LVTax but workers in South wales with more disposable income but cheap property attract lower LVTax. Or is it more likely that LVTax rates would be regional to deal with this distortion because otherwise you can imagine people living in expensive areas but on low disposable incomes are disproportionately paying tax versus high disposable income low land value areas? I can see things commend the tax but I'm unsure how it would be reasonably implemented in the UK.

As to my Manifesto item, reverse the flawed devolution settlement and re-federalise the UK with each of the regions getting the same powers and responsibilities (Not that I imagine in any way it would happen). Because Scotland is only the UK's 6th largest region, Wales its 10th and NI its 12th yet all of England gets lumped in together as if they homogenous in character and needs.

16. Fairly sure the answer is no

Sgarrista

- improve the voting system. AV i liked but open to other ideas.

- get rid of road tax and add an extra x amount of pennies to fuel to cover it. removes the need to be checking vehicles, removes the ability for an innocent mistake to turn into an unfair fine, and means cars that use the roads from foreign countries end up paying towards using them.

- change corp tax to a different percentage depending on turnover and or profit. 19% for a company earning £10k profit seems wrong when a business earning £2million pay the same percentage. it wouldn't have to be a huge difference, perhaps 20% for over x million, and 18% for those under.

- reduce vat down to 15%. it's too high of a jump for businesses when they are forced to become vat registered. i am sure many businesses are put off from becoming vat reg so purposefully stay below the line, and many also push for cash to reduce their turnover and to avoid the vat for customers. 20% is too high