OCUK mental health over Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tea Drinker
Don
Good afternoon OCUK :)

Christmas can be tough for some, the coronavirus pandemic isn't helping and some of us may have been affected in lots of different ways. Please remember there is a lot of help out there if you need it.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)

Alcoholics Anonymous
A free self-help group. Its "12 step" programme involves getting sober with the help of regular face-to-face and online support groups.

Phone: 0800 917 7650 (24-hour helpline)

FRANK
Free, confidential information and advice about drugs, their effects and the law. FRANK's live chat service runs daily from 2pm to 6pm.

Phone: 0300 1236600 (24-hour helpline)

Text a question to: 82111

Gamblers Anonymous
A free self-help group. Its "12 step" programme involves stopping gambling with the help of regular face-to-face and online support groups.

Phone: 0330 094 0322 (24-hour)

Mind
Promotes the views and needs of people with mental health problems.

Phone: 0300 123 3393 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm)

NSPCC
Children's charity dedicated to ending child abuse and child cruelty.

Phone: 0800 1111 for Childline for children (24-hour helpline)

0808 800 5000 for adults concerned about a child (24-hour helpline)

Samaritans
Confidential support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair.

Phone: 116 123 (free 24-hour helpline)

YoungMinds
Information on child and adolescent mental health. Services for parents and professionals.

Phone: Parents' helpline 0808 802 5544 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm)

CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably)

We run a free and confidential helpline and webchat – 7 hours a day, 7 days a week for anyone who needs to talk about life’s problems. We support those bereaved by suicide, through the Support After Suicide Partnership (SASP).

Phone: 0800 58 58 58

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Worthwhile thread. Just an addition to say that there may well be a smaller, local charity or group near you too; men's mental health has seen a huge amount of support, awareness and openness over the last 12-24 months which has seen local groups grow or sprout up.

I haven't attended but I know the guy who runs and can therefore recommend Talk Club (www.wetalkclub.com) who are Bristol-based.

Soldato
Great thread thank you. Perhaps you could add to the main post?

CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably)

We run a free and confidential helpline and webchat – 7 hours a day, 7 days a week for anyone who needs to talk about life’s problems. We support those bereaved by suicide, through the Support After Suicide Partnership (SASP).

Phone: 0800 58 58 58

Permabanned
Great thread.

For anyone that feels like a general chat or needs someone to talk too feel free to send me a trust too.

I'm by no means qualified but more than happy to lend an ear as it were. :)

Soldato
Absolute top thread and a great idea. No shame in anyone needing a bit of help along the way. Currently guiding a very good friend of mine along a tricky road. She's come on leaps and bounds in the last year, incredibly proud of her.

Soldato
"Hello is that Frank? Yes, I have a drugs problem... yes, yes, I'm having a real hard time getting hold of decent stuff, can you point me in the right direction? Do you have a number?"

J/K - Take care of yourselves all, and look out for each other :)

Soldato
Even if you have family around it can be difficult, have a good friend who has a great family but just can't cope at times or talk to them about his depression.

Always good to talk to someone else outside of the family unit at times.

Soldato
Nice thread. Been through some dark places in the last two decades and thankfully haven't needed any of the above, maybe only by a small margin, but given 2020 I can imagine there are many who are extra isolated and furloughed, so at a loose end. Being at a loose end can amplify other demons, not good at all.

R.E. SAD, dark mornings and nights suck. I bought a morning LED alarm clock last year and it has genuinely made me feel better getting going. Not sure if it's placebo or legit, but it's worked for me.
Edit: An LED sunrise alarm clock

"Hello is that Frank? Yes, I have a drugs problem... yes, yes, I'm having a real hard time getting hold of decent stuff, can you point me in the right direction? Do you have a number?"

J/K - Take care of yourselves all, and look out for each other :)

Hi Frank, why are drugs so expensive?? Oh, it's to protect everyone... Makes sense

Well, it’s quite possibly my last Christmas, and I’m finding it tough as I don’t even have my health to enjoy it.

Sorry to hear this :( Not much else a stranger on the internet can say. Hope you can enjoy this Christmas in some level of comfort

Soldato
Good thread. I do not suffer with anything myself (actually having a jolly good time at breakfast with the 11yo).

But if anyone needs to talk, ask away in this thread. Sure they'll be people on/off during the day who would be more than willing to chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom