• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK official GTX1050 and GTX1050TI revew thread

Associate
revew thread? :p

Also, what I wanted to know, this appears to show Samsung's 14LPP as being better than TSMC's 16FF+.

The 1050 Ti is matching the 1070 in perf/w (and beating the 1060). And you'd expect perf/w to decrease on the weaker cards, due to the memory/interface/etc. uses pretty much the same Watts on all cards, so on a weaker core the 'other' parts use a higher proportion of the energy.

Same reason why the 1080 and Titan XP are then better perf/w than the 1070, because their 'other' bits use less of a proportion of the energy.

Example for for clarification:

• All non-die components use 50W.
  • Then a 150W card has a 100W die and 50W memory. This provides 100% performance.
  • A 100W card has 50W die and 50W memory. This provides 50% performance.
  • The first card is then technically far more efficient, even though it's the same arch on the same manufacturing process.
  • Therefore if the second card was able to rival the first card in overall efficiency, by changing manufacturing process, that new manufacturing process must be superior.

Last edited:
Associate
Feels like the £150 price tier has fallen flat. 12 months ago you could get a GTX 960 4GB or R9 380 4GB for the same price as a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB now and get very similar performance at 1080p. OK the GTX 1050 Ti offers significant power benefits however there is no performance improvement in the price tier at all.

With such a massive double-digit or more performance boost jumping to a GTX 1060 3GB or RX 470 4GB for an extra £25-30, I don't see why anyone would consider a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB.

Could be the weak £ or high launch day price. Either way the GTX 1050 Ti 4GB is £15 or more overpriced and will be hard to recommend.

Associate
Quite interesting, looks like what prices they actually become available for is going to be really important (only read a couple of them but e.g. the hardwarecanucks one talks about the 1050Ti being good vs the 460 but crushed by a 470, and some cards looking at being worryingly near 470 prices)

Associate
Disappointed in lack of low profile in initial line up, now have to wait for a product that may never transpire.

Prices are too close to 1060 3GB; I would be willing to pay these prices for low profile though to finally replace the aging 750Ti.

Last edited:
Soldato
The videos I've seen seem to put this as a pretty good choice for 1080p, yet it doesn't seem to beat a 960 at all?

That seems really disappointing?

Soldato
The videos I've seen seem to put this as a pretty good choice for 1080p, yet it doesn't seem to beat a 960 at all?

That seems really disappointing?
Looks like it's beating the 960 in absolutely review that I see. But by how much seems to differ based on review. Techspot has it basically just slightly faster, whereas the guru3D review has it *well* faster.

Back
Top Bottom