OcUK Rolling Road Day 21 @ Ti Motorsport (Stoke) - Saturday 4th November 2017

Soldato
Hi all,

Its that time again, lets all get on the rollers at Ti Motorsport and have a good day out.

For £36 (reduced by 10% due to less than smooth running last time, kind of them to offer the gesture, I didn't ask!) you will get 3 dyno runs on their recently installed MAHA Dyno. Ideally no more than 20 runners, the odd extra won't be an issue though.

I have now booked the rolling road at Ti Motorsport in Stoke for Saturday 4th November 2017.

8.30am earliest arrival, doors open at 9am.

Address is as follows:

TI Motorsport LTD
Tegiwa House
Sutherland Road
Stoke-on-Trent
ST3 1HZ

http://www.ti-motorsport.co.uk/

Pub details for after:

http://www.hungryhorse.co.uk/locations/chatterley-whitfield/find-us
Carsington Drive
Tunstall
Staffordshire
ST6 5GA

Average food, but edible and pricing is good, plus its a brand new pub so clean with adequate parking.

The reason I have chosen this is due to a good mix of surrounding roads:

Food.jpg~original

Peacock Hay / Lowlands Road is an excellent and very fast stretch of NS road which is generally quiet, but be careful the corners are bumpy and you need to make sure you keep to your side of the road as sometimes heavy goods vehicles will be taking up the full width on opposite side, so please stay safe.

Then there is Reginal Michelin way, dual carriage ways (40mph) with great roundabouts to play one, huge roundabouts so any DK's can show of their skills, but again respect other road users and be safe. Also sometimes camera van parks.

There is also a McDonalds and KFC on these roads for those who maybe don't want a restaurant sit down meal. Access to A500 for return trip home is also very close.

The time to get here from the dyno location is 20-30 minutes dependent on traffic.

Definite Runnings:-
  1. ScoobyDoo69 - 2016 Subaru WRX STi
  2. frozennova - Mazda MX-5 1.8i Turbo - to run and leave before 2pm
  3. Gibbo - Golf R - Stage 2
  4. paradigm - Audi S3 / Mazda MX-5
  5. Warranty_V0id - Audi TT-RS
  6. Steve Mander - Ford Mustang - to run early also
  7. Ace Modder - Nissan 370Z Nismo - to run first !
  8. -westy- - Mazda MX-5
  9. Mac - Ford Mustang Whipple Spec
  10. frozennovafather - Subaru Impreza WRX STi - to run and leave before 2pm
  11. Chris - Audi RS4 Avant - to run and leave before 2pm
  12. Mac - Whipped Mustang (HAMMERTIME)
  13. shauncr91 - Renault Cio 200
  14. scaza - Mazda MX-5
  15. CaptailFail! - Megane 275
  16. CaptainFail! brother - E39 BMW M5
Spectators are always welcome, bring your family, friends etc. :)

Reserves:
  1. Will - Leon Cupra
  2. Invertigo - BMW Z4
  3. rjk - Honda S2000
  4. scaza faja
Spectators:
  1. scaza
  2. Scania
  3. Lowe
  4. Vertigo1

WEIGH YOUR CAR

If anyone wants there car weighing along with cross weights they will do this for you. £20 per car.

Weigh ins:
  1. Warranty_V0id - Audi TT-RS

PROVISIONAL RUNNING ORDER

1. Ace Modder - Nissan 370Z Nismo - to run first !
  2. frozennova - Mazda MX-5 1.8i Turbo - to run and leave before 2pm
  3. Steve Mander - Ford Mustang - to run early also
  4. Mac - Ford Mustang Whipple Spec
  5. CaptainFail! brother - E39 BMW M5
  6. Chris - Audi RS4 Avant - to run and leave before 2pm
  7. frozennovafather - Subaru Impreza WRX STi - to run and leave before 2pm
  8. ScoobyDoo69 - 2016 Subaru WRX STi
  9. shauncr91 - Renault Cio 200
  10. CaptailFail! - Megane 275
  11. Gibbo - Golf R - Stage 2
  12. Warranty_V0id - Audi TT-RS
  13. paradigm - Audi S3 / Mazda MX-5
  14. -westy- - Mazda MX-5
  15. scaza - Mazda MX-5
Cars on the dyno normally go something like below:

Please state if running, or just attending to spectate. Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
Why what haopened?
Quite a few cars were getting wheel spin so it wasn't reading power right. No cars escaped but they didn't have the technique for keeping them from spinning up.

I think my alto and a Skoda octavia vrs were they only cars that made rated power.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Quite a few cars were getting wheel spin so it wasn't reading power right. No cars escaped but they didn't have the technique for keeping them from spinning up.

I think my alto and a Skoda octavia vrs were they only cars that made rated power.

The Mustangs made bang on power figures also as did a lot of other cars. My M3 was bang on also.
Maybe some people were a little upset because its a maha and generally they are quite accurate so can be a heart breaker too.

The problem was they were loading the dyno up too much, for a power run its really not needed to simulate road load, that is more a feature for tuning to stress the engine. For a power run you just want the car to spin the rollers with ease, get the result and off ya go. They have got it a lot more perfected now but they still insist on strapping everything down securely which is fair enough. Of course this can result in the car getting hot at which point the ECU can enable cat protection (richens up) that will reduce power and of course increased IAT's and other higher temps from being stationary and any car with a modern ECU from last twenty years will pull timing and thus less power. Its not the car under-performing the result is true, its either down on power because it got hot and the ECU pulled timing or enabled cat enrichment due to getting hot. The ideal situation when running on a dyno is to bring the car upto temperature (coolant wise) as you drive on the dyno. Then by the time they have finished strapping down, settling the car into the dyno oil will be more or less upto temperature and you will be ready to go in a ideal situation before things get hot and thus power reduces.

I am sure most of you have felt the difference in acceleration on a cold dry winters day compared to a red hot summers day. ;)

Not like PS where they just drove on, ran the car and drove off, they even offered to let me run mine myself once, I rejected, not brace enough. :D

Soldato
OP
The Octavia vRS was one of the worst runs, do you not remember the tyres getting smoked :D

Rybo, they basically got the ramp up rates wrong. Meaning the rollers had too much resistance, some cars just spun on the rollers, and many got way too hot (like mine) and clearly pulled timing as the cars ended up at full throttle for a very long time!

OcUK Staff
The Octavia vRS was one of the worst runs, do you not remember the tyres getting smoked :D

Rybo, they basically got the ramp up rates wrong. Meaning the rollers had too much resistance, some cars just spun on the rollers, and many got way too hot (like mine) and clearly pulled timing as the cars ended up at full throttle for a very long time!

Exactly and a turbo car will pull a lot more timing compared to an NA car because stuff goes wrong much quicker on forced induction so the ECU will retard a lot more aggressively. Its not an under-reading just the power you get when things are so hot.
It is also why in drag racing most people push their cars to the start line and don't have them idling and getting hot otherwise the spend the first 1/8 mile down on power.

This is why lower IAT is always helpful on a car, on the M3 re-location of the IAT sensor to somewhere where it does not heatsoak free's up like 20HP. :)

Man of Honour
Mine more or less what I should have made power wise

I've got all the from last time if anyone wants a copy and I'll do the same for this one too

Running subaru impreza Wrx Sti WR1:D

let's hope they have had some decent practice at strapping the cars down since last time.

Strapping had nothing to do with it. Fuzz could run pretty much anything on Power stations Maha dyno without a single strap

Last edited:
Soldato
Very much a maybe for this, depends if I get the Leon Cupra before then, if not I don't really think taking the hire car I have at the moment would be very worthwhile (Renault Clio 0.9 TCE :D)

Associate
Hi guys,

Thanks for choosing us again. On the last day we'd only just had the dyno installed so there were a few issues through the day that won't be repeated, we've had a fair bit of practice with it in the last year :)

We have upgraded extraction and induction so heat management is much better. We also have chains (with soft connection points) rather than straps so no issues there. It is a twin roller so small/light cars with high torque can suffer from spin if the tyres aren't warmed up but generally anything under 300bhp per axle will cause no issues (or 500bhp for cars like HMS Gibbo :D), but we've had much higher with no problems

If you have any questions my contact details are 01782950315 or [email protected]

Thanks, Matt

Back
Top Bottom