• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6*50XT series review thread

Associate
When will the 'AMD Driver issues' myth disappear?

ive been running Radeon cards for near on 10yrs and had one issue whereby Chrome would stutter its nuts off and thats it.

Associate
When will the 'AMD Driver issues' myth disappear?

ive been running Radeon cards for near on 10yrs and had one issue whereby Chrome would stutter its nuts off and thats it.
That depends, if you're pro-AMD, it's been fixed for ages. If you're pro-nVidia, it still exists.

Man of Honour
I wish people would stop talking about drivers being bad, it's a temporary problem that has effected both NVidia and AMD.

The point is they are software, you get a bad one for a few weeks then it gets fixed, job done.

Soldato
As much as I like my AMD stuff the whole reason I went 3080 was the more mature additional features, DLSS and all that jazz, so just increasing the performance of the cards with a '50' version doesn't do much for me so the 3080's a keeper and will be my card for a good few years yet..

Caporegime
It's just a shame this reputation was from over 10 years ago :(

10 years ago? This rep started with the ati rage fury maxx dual gpu card, and was brought back up with the radeon 8500 which on paper should have beaten the competing geforce gpu at the time but drivers let it down. So overall you're talking 26 years. It's a reputation that's stuck to them like ***** to a blanket even though it's something that hasn't been a factor in well over a decade.

Last edited:
Soldato
Original ATI Radeon 64 ddr was faster than everything when gaming in 32bit colour. What did Nvidia and 3dfx do? Force games to stick in 16bit colour; 3dfx then used there 24bit colour as being nearly as good as 32bit and faster than ATI....

Soldato
I had driver issues with my R9-270x and my RX580, not sure how long ago they came out, but you could install the base driver, then anytime you wanted to do an update it just wouldn't take it, I've never had any issues with Nvidia drivers and I certainly wouldn't call myself a fan boy...

G J

G J

Associate
I had to reinstall Windows 7 multiple times and revert back 5/6 previous driver releases to get the AMD control panel the load sucessfully on a fully patched Windows 7 install as their final release driver for Windows 7 was broken. Oh and when the control panel crashes sometimes just changing options everything resets to default so you have to change all the settings back as the AMD software tries to download and auto install itself to the latest driver version which does not work.

As much a people dunk on nVidia's Windows 95 style control panel I've never had any issue with it.

I dont know what worse the bad times when people have issues with AMD drivers or the obnoxious AMD fans that deny, blame and gaslight people into thinking its their fault.

Soldato
I had to reinstall Windows 7 multiple times and revert back 5/6 previous driver releases to get the AMD control panel the load sucessfully on a fully patched Windows 7 install as their final release driver for Windows 7 was broken. Oh and when the control panel crashes sometimes just changing options everything resets to default so you have to change all the settings back as the AMD software tries to download and auto install itself to the latest driver version which does not work.

As much a people dunk on nVidia's Windows 95 style control panel I've never had any issue with it.

I dont know what worse the bad times when people have issues with AMD drivers or the obnoxious AMD fans that deny, blame and gaslight people into thinking its their fault.

Or the obnoxious Nvidia fanboys that cannot accept that AMD has actually improved the drivers and simply go herp derp about it.....

Caporegime
I had driver issues with my R9-270x and my RX580, not sure how long ago they came out, but you could install the base driver, then anytime you wanted to do an update it just wouldn't take it, I've never had any issues with Nvidia drivers and I certainly wouldn't call myself a fan boy...

Things like that could be down to a random hardware + software configuration causing issues. The amount of possible pc configurations out there all with numerous bios and drivers revisions all capable of triggering issues elsewhere. It's amazing things are are stable as they are these days on the whole.

Soldato
The only issue I've had was with an nVidia 3090 FE refusing to run in zero fan mode due to running dual monitors. Other than that, I've not really had any issues with either AMD or nVidia drivers. I do however prefer the modern UI of the AMD drivers. Anyway, it's yet another AMD thread being dragged down by nVidia fans complaining about something.

Back
Top Bottom