• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6500XT review thread

Soldato
OP
RX 6400 sounds like it might fill a clear gap in the market. I hope the rumours of it being mainly OEM only aren't true.

And IMO nVIDIA should also release an RTX 2030 or equivalent and bring an end to the GTX series. It would probably be pretty useless for ray-tracing, but DLSS at the lower end would be nice to have

Apparently it's bus powered too.

Soldato
An even lower part is coming?

Oh boy, think of the quality of those reviews already.

A whole new batch of drivel that price/performance is worse than 6 years ago and that a bottom end part has the features slaughtered compared to a midrange part.

Caporegime

A whole new batch of drivel that price/performance is worse than 6 years ago and that a bottom end part has the features slaughtered compared to a midrange part.

How can they make it much worse? 32bit bus/2xPCI-E 4 lanes/2GB of RAM?

Soldato
OP

Will update OP later.

It will most likely be bus powered so at least at $130 it will have a niche.

Retains the 4GB of the RX6500XT. Will basically be the successor to the bus powered RX460 2GB and the GTX1050 2GB.

Associate
Well I joined the owners club in the end. Thanks again to @Poneros & @Harlequin for their links/responses earlier in this thread. I paired the 6500XT with the OCUK Ryzen 5600X/AUROS Elite AX V2/RAM bundle & case, PSU, NVMe SSD etc (next-day delivery & excellent service as ever, thank you OCUK). It might be overkill for what I need but so far seems to suit my use case very well. Grim Dawn & Starcraft 2 run over 100fps @ 1440p on max settings. Was also living the dream earlier today playing Quake 1.5 on Darkplaces at insane fps :)

I haven't owned an AMD GPU since the 6950 and my last 4 graphics cards have all been Nvidia so I've become used to the Geforce Experience App. This Radeon Software monitoring and overlay was immediately useful (shows my card sitting at 7w and 35 degrees in the Windows 11 desktop).

Overall glad this card exists because if it didn't I probably wouldn't have bought a new PC at this time and made do or looked at something else. I saw Gibbo's recent RX6600 deal but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra. Hopefully there will be more competition in this budget sector.

Soldato
Congrats @Timber and enjoy it! There's just so much fun to be had on PC even without the highest end hardware, it's really time that will be a bigger obstacle than anything. Heck in the last few months I've played nothing but games that could run on even APUs well, and had a blast. Just as I say this I see the CK3 (also a great game with low requirements) Royal Court DLC just dropped... well, guess that's my spring accounted for now. :D

Associate
Don't really go in for the drama, and don't think that just because I disagree with a specific review makes the reviewer wrong or bad or having an ulterior motive. And do think that reviewers should be highlighting any down sides of a product. As more informed consumers are far better off...

But... It looks like the penny has dropped on this one slightly

Associate
If you wanted to penny pinch, then the 12100 from Intel looks way better than anything AMD has available from shops. Also smaller drive is an easy money saver as well as budget cases. All that matters is the end user is happy, and i don't think anyone has argued the 6500xt isn't capable, it's the lack of future life it will have is the issue. My card is half the speed but still better for my needs, i sent my 6500xt back sadly.

Soldato
OK. Facebook is showing me an ad for one of those at £166.66 from OCUK. Clicked on the link and it says £199.99, as expected. I'm not planning to buy one, but is anything in the works, or was there a short duration deal @Gibbo?

That advertised price is getting low enough I might actually consider recommending that someone buys one of these, in some circumstances.

OcUK Staff
OK. Facebook is showing me an ad for one of those at £166.66 from OCUK. Clicked on the link and it says £199.99, as expected. I'm not planning to buy one, but is anything in the works, or was there a short duration deal @Gibbo?

That advertised price is getting low enough I might actually consider recommending that someone buys one of these, in some circumstances.

That’s an Exc VAT price.

Back
Top Bottom