OCUK Soldier

Associate
I left school stated work then decided to join the Marines. I did 5 years and i left in mid 2007. I'm now starting to get the feelings i had before regards what will my life will have in store. Seriously deciding to rejoin.

I have the most respect for any serviceman, good luck mate.

David

Soldato
OP
Dam you sound like i did and still do.

i left school stated work then decided to join the Marines. I did 5 years and i left in mid 2007. I'm now starting to get the feelings i had before regards what will my life will have in store. Seriously deciding to rejoin.

I have the most respect for any serviceman, good luck mate.

David

Not to try and force you but REJOIN! REJOIN!! REJOIN!!! :D
One good thing is that i didnt join at such an early age is that i dont think i would have been mentaily (spelt wrong i know) ready for it at all, let alone physically. But i know now that im ready for it and i cant wait to start, im like a kid at xmas:)

Just thought of another good reason why im glad i didnt join at 17. Ive had a taste of civvie jobs at my level, im no clever clogs i know so the only jobs ill get are warehouses, supermarkets etc. And ive worked in them and there dead boring and souless, so when im in basic training and im in a ditch in the hard rain with the PTI shouting at me and i feel i cant go on. Ill just remember where i would be working, and i think that will be enough to pull me through:)

dsb

dsb

Associate
Hay, it will be 11 years for me in October, and i still love it, but dont just choose the Coldstream Guards because of your dad, he will be proud to see you join any regiment or corps, have a look at what else might interest you, i spent 6 years in the artillery, but transferred to the RMP over 4 years ago. I have done operational tours in Afghanistan, Iraq, to name a few, dont be blinkered on what your dad, friend, or careers advisor is telling you there are jobs that you will get a proper trade from and set you up better for civi street.

I have a good friend in a careers office and i know for a fact that they are to push the public into jobs that need filling, if you want a specific job just wait for it.

Associate
bakes0310, You have a good attitude and yes now you have sampled what civy life offers you keep that to drive you. Even if you did work in a office job earning 50k a year i bet you would still want another goal and think of joining or seeking a new task in life. The average joe wants to do such a job or at least be proud of such a task yet haven't the urge to go seek and fulfill.

dsb, i defiantly know where your coming from. I wish now i spent more time getting civy qualifications for now i am out.

Associate
was thinking about signing up for the royal electrical and mechanical engineers platoon commander after uni, but im still undecided. i really dont want a desk job

Associate
was thinking about signing up for the royal electrical and mechanical engineers platoon commander after uni, but im still undecided. i really dont want a desk job

I've had a few meetings with the careers officer and selection seems very thorough(sp?). If I get my application going tomorrow im looking at may entry next year for sandhurst as the soonest. Get yourself down and have a word with them.

Soldato
I would have thought any sort of heart op means you will fail the medical at selection

All the best though its obviously what you really want to do

Soldato
OP
Hay, it will be 11 years for me in October, and i still love it, but dont just choose the Coldstream Guards because of your dad, he will be proud to see you join any regiment or corps, have a look at what else might interest you, i spent 6 years in the artillery, but transferred to the RMP over 4 years ago. I have done operational tours in Afghanistan, Iraq, to name a few, dont be blinkered on what your dad, friend, or careers advisor is telling you there are jobs that you will get a proper trade from and set you up better for civi street.

I have a good friend in a careers office and i know for a fact that they are to push the public into jobs that need filling, if you want a specific job just wait for it.

Trust me im not doing it just because of what you mentioned. I really have thought long and hard about it and went on a course to stay with them for 4 days:) Im certain as i am certain about joining the army that i want to join the Coldstream Guards:)

Soldato
I was attached to No 2 Coy of the CG in Iraq and have got many friends at the Battalion, they are a great unit and very professional, the Guards are the next best thing to my Regiment.

Soldato
OP
I was attached to No 2 Coy of the CG in Iraq and have got many friends at the Battalion, they are a great unit and very professional, the Guards are the next best thing to my Regiment.

Next best thing:mad: what regiment were you in out of interest mate. If you say Grenadier Guards ill not be impressed:p

Soldato
I really really hope it works out for you mate. I've always admired people who join up.

I so wish I could have done it, but a little condition called arthritis as a child stopped this.

Good luck anyway.

Back
Top Bottom