OcUK Staff - What's the consensus on Kolink PSUs?

Associate
I've noticed that many of the budget prebuilt PCs have a Kolink PSU, even systems that feature a GTX 1060. I'd wager that most members wouldn't recommend them, citing the usual alternatives such as EVGA, Seasonic, Super Flower etc.

I couldn't see OcUK using them if they weren't reliable, so what's the deal?

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
We use Kolink heavily in our systems and they've proven to be more reliable than some of the Superflower, Corsair and BeQuiet models that we have used in the past and a lot more reliable than XFX that we used briefly last year.

I'm yet to experience anything that makes me doubt their quality and, since I know the guy who designs them and I know how much he knows about PSUs, I don't expect to either.

The reason why they are so competitively priced is because we've been able to cut out a couple of the middle men that usually take their cut on the more recognised retail brands.

Associate
OP
We use Kolink heavily in our systems and they've proven to be more reliable than some of the Superflower, Corsair and BeQuiet models that we have used in the past and a lot more reliable than XFX that we used briefly last year.

I'm yet to experience anything that makes me doubt their quality and, since I know the guy who designs them and I know how much he knows about PSUs, I don't expect to either.

The reason why they are so competitively priced is because we've been able to cut out a couple of the middle men that usually take their cut on the more recognised retail brands.

I'm sure the higher tier PSUs are decent, but what about the entry level ones that are commonly included in budget prebuilts?

Cheers for the insight.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I'm sure the higher tier PSUs are decent, but what about the entry level ones that are commonly included in budget prebuilts?

Cheers for the insight.

I already covered that

Soldato
If OCUK/Caseking have so much faith in them send some off to reviewers such as Jonnyguru and then we will finally see how good/bad they are.
KL-400 would be certain failure.
Question is only about if there's something else which fails even before primary rectifier.
Because that would struggle to deliver even 300W to load at US mains voltage, more likely 250W with needed temperature derating.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31689683

Hi,

I'm the product manager in charge of Kolink PSU since late 2015. ChugNorris invited me here so we can provide information on our PSU from first hand. Please understand I'm in charge of PSU product management, not marketing. This will mean, I might sometimes be a little slow with replies since I have to take care of regular business first. I also need to confess I'm not a native English speaker, so my statements won't be exactly ready for print-publishing. However I know much more about the product details than most marketing managers. Anyway, I'd like to share some information.

1) Kolink does not work with Huntkey anymore. When I came on board I've switched existing products to Highpower and HEC. Both factories I knew from my old job very well. Plus, I saw more potential for new projects. I can't say Huntkey did a bad job, but HEC and Highpower offered slightly better performance for slightly lower cost in USD. This helped also us to limit the price increase resulting from EUR and GBP going down in 2016/2017. For Continuum 1500W I brought Enhance on board in 2017 and I like the result a lot.

Anyway, Huntkey is long gone and since march 2016 only the new models are shipped. The new versions can be told apart from the old one by the power label stickers. New models use green color design instead of orange. Also I've decided to be honest about capacities and input voltage, so power label data is different as well. Most Kolink Core, KL and KL-M are not ready for 115V, even if they pass 80 Plus testing with 115V input. Lifetime at 115V would be totally unacceptable, so those models should not be exported to US/Japan etc.. Currently, this is not an issue, because we sell Kolink in Europe only. If we'd decide to enter the US market I'd definately upgrade some components in primary stage. For now, we’re busy enough to serve EU markets.
For checking our OEMs I recommend RHTX database: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Kolink.html However, we don't have any plans to change factory again. I'm quite happy with what we're doing now.

2) We've arranged quite some reviews of various models so far. Our marketing efforts focus on Continuum, true. Those are our high end models. Convincing people to buy new brand for rather expensive PSU is tough, so we arranged some reviews to prove our point on quality and performance. With the Continuum and especially the upcoming new revision of Continuum 1050 and 1200W (should be ready around Computex) we’re playing first league.

We also arranged reviews for other series though, including Core (Check TweakPC Germany, including Chroma ATE testing https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/kolink_kl_c500/s09.php). Please understand our marketing is no match for Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA etc.. We don't have budget/capacity to arrange reviews for every product at every site immediately. Also the sites don't want to review Kolink products all the time but need more popular products. In the end sites need to focus on what their customers want. We can’t force them to put same priority on Kolink like on A-brands which have much higher demand in the market. In many markets Kolink products also are simply not available. Tom’s Hardware US for example usually requires PSU to be available in the US which makes sense considering their main target audience is living in the USA.

Anyway, RealhardtechX has a nice list of the most professional reviews featuring various Kolink PSU. Only a few of them are in English, true. Kolink originally comes from Eastern Europe. It's only been rather recently when we entered Western European markets.

3) All in all expectations should be realistic. Kolink Continuum we feel 100% comfortable to send to any reviewer. There is however not much point of sending rather cheap PSU to reviewers which focus on rather high end PSU. Kolink Core series for example obviously is a simple but reliable PSU based on double forward primary and group regulated secondary design. Only 850W and 1000W use upgraded platform with DC-DC technology for much better voltage regulation. Of course, you won't find Japanese branded capacitors in Core PSU etc. Even KL series is positioned more similar to Corsair VS, for example. Such PSU usually don’t do very good in reviews at sites which focus on high end products. Therefore we arrange reviews at those few sites which test cheaper products on a regular basis. They are more familiar with usual performance in low end and price performance sector.

If any of the large professional reviewers is preparing roundups with Corsair VS, EVGA W, Thermaltake TR2 etc. I'm absolutely willing to push for media samples. If you know anyone preparing such roundups just let me know and I'll check it out. I’m confident our Core, KL and KL-M can perform same/better as similar competitors’ models so this would be great exposure. Going up against much more expensive PSU however is pretty much pointless, though. You don’t need to ask Captain Obvious to understand 80 Plus white PSU are much less efficient than 80 Plus Gold.

4) For me there is absolutely no shame in offering decent PSU for a low price even if they aren't up to the standards of more expensive PSU. We make sure though, our products actually meet spec and quality is good enough so return rate stays low. So far, return rate for Kolink PSU has always been below 1 percent. For many models RMA rate stays below 0.5%. For 2019 we’re aiming for 0.5% for all models, but this might be hard.

OCuk is not our only customer for SI business. For SI clients reliability is the key, performance is much less important. If there would be excessive RMA rate OCuk and other SIs would kick us out very soon. Despite beeing rather small company e operate our own QC/QA in Europe including static and programmable loads. From each container arriving we pull some units, check performance and build quality and repack them. Plus we go to supervise production in China several times per year. Actually I just came back from China on march 18th. We're making damn sure factory delivers what we order, because in the end we pay them. If they don't deliver what we've agreed on we'd be stupid to pay. Selling substandard product will result in losing customers and business relationships which have grown over years.

5 ) think Kolink PSU are better than most competitors’ offers, and so far reviews show we're doing a good job even for the rather low end series. Again, comparing Kolink KL series PSU to Corsair RMx for example is absolutely pointless. Even I recommend enthusiasts to go for more advanced PSU if budget allows. Electricity bill alone forces me to go for Gold or Platinum level PSU since my PC is running basically all day. I’m based in Germany, where electricity is very expensive, not in Budapest HQ or Taipei office. If you can afford high end PSU buy one – and check out our Continuum series :D.

I'd feel absolutely comfortable though to put a Kolink Core 600W into a friends PC with Intel 8700k and GTX 1080 who currently cannot afford any better PSU. We also use Kolink PSU our office PCs, of course.

Soldato
since there's two threads on this, thought i'd cover both :)

@Kolink PSU PM - Phil @ChugNorris

would agree @pastymuncher in its really worth sending it off for review against models chug mentions it beats as well as ones it wants to compete with at a lower price point .

everone knows its not going to match the Continuum brand or Focus range but IF IT could MATCH or BEAT EVGA's BT450

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga-450bt-450w-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-ca-03l-ea.html

Then we'd all happy recommend it here for budget or office builds hands down , specially the SFX model! SFX PSU prices are insane !
thats £8 saving for ATX and £20 saving for SFX (450w)!!!

I know we don't effect a huge majority of the target audience buying the unit or around that budget but member's here can sway a good amount of new members away from that model or it appears on Google searches for those looking about this unknown PSU thats a lot cheaper then the rest

just my cents , know the power a few people can pull a product up or down , and nice to see Another Brand/Vendor rep on here- again the power of a well written post and change mind and hearts ..

For the Kolink SFX series there is a first class review at German site ComputerBase:
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-08/sfx-netzteile-test-kolink-inter-tech-chieftec-fsp/
I think the PSU community here can figure out the most important aspects with diagrams, pictures of the electronics and maybe some google translate. It's not particulary efficient and it's not DC-DC, but performance feels decent for me.

For low end ATX: Any idea which reviewer using programmable load is willing to do low end roundup?

Soldato
For the Kolink SFX series there is a first class review at German site ComputerBase:
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-08/sfx-netzteile-test-kolink-inter-tech-chieftec-fsp/
I think the PSU community here can figure out the most important aspects with diagrams, pictures of the electronics and maybe some google translate. It's not particulary efficient and it's not DC-DC, but performance feels decent for me.

For low end ATX: Any idea which reviewer using programmable load is willing to do low end roundup?

@EsaT and @pastymuncher could prob point out UK reviews that would do a damn good reviewer / hardware site even at low end/budget range and will see the importance of it , but just off the top of my Head OC3D and kitguru - but again sure there or others they dev deeper and would understand perfectly were your product is coming from and target market .

I'm just gently nudging you do go with 'a reviewer' :)

OCUK Vision VR PC system is a cracking deal and does well - but look at everything thread that lists or recommends it and you'll see comments of "ditch the PSU" - hopefully a review will change our minds * yep, i've done it* to stick with current spec as it is. again it would cost the user more to upgrade to a different brand- if knowing they wouldn't have to , would be better all around :)

Soldato
KitGuru and OC3D both focus on more high end PSU. I basically read/watch all their reviews to keep up with the recent developments in the market, but I haven't seen anything similar to Core, KL and KL-M for a while there.

have you asked them personally ? specially with mentioning threads and and discussions on here. might find they'll take the time and again, understand the situation .
and also, they rely on traffic, any review no matter if its a £1000 case or £45 mouse gets attention to the site :D
plus we are all nerds, nice to know about products that are budget to those that cost a kidney haha

hopefully one of the members on here and point out a smaller reviewer or member on here that could give a well put together unbiased review

Soldato
Zardon from KitGuru is working on annother Continuum review now. Anyway, once he's done I'll discuss with himwhat we can do.

honestly it would be well worth it - from members on here at least . fact a vendor rep is willing to go on the line , either to prove a point or help the community gets respect . I dont know if Seasonic has a rep on here , dont think they do but I have a feeling that Continuum unit will give them a run for the money - people will feel at more ease quoting your products, for the fact they work! and that there is support! and secondly RMA.. I know seasonic is handled 3rd party in Germany , If Zardon or yourself is able to shed a little light on your RMA (I think you did briefly) then that would go a long way .

sure the members above will now take note our willing to try and get something sorted , as before nothing has happened/stayed silent etc etc :)

That SFX review is pretty cracking, think i quoted one in a basic ITX build with the rocket case, will have to link the review to it - adds a piece of mind if quoting it

Last edited:
Soldato
Zardon from KitGuru is working on annother Continuum review now. Anyway, once he's done I'll discuss with himwhat we can do.
Well, Enhance should be able to do better job than this EMC failure:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Kolink/KL-C1200PL/13.html

Though IIRC it was Enhance which has sometimes used insanely large heatsinks compared to efficiency/power losses...
While that certainly keeps power semiconductors cooled with minimal airflow those huge heatsinks with wire spaghetti pretty much excluded secondary caps from any kind airflow.

We also arranged reviews for other series though, including Core (Check TweakPC Germany, including Chroma ATE testing https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/kolink_kl_c500/s09.php).
Just cut that "multimedia speaker" PMPO rating.
I'll rather accept lower rated but honest PSU than bloated numbers PSUs with arbitrary insides.
Which just gives more basis to treat all unknown insides cheap PSUs as maybe reliably 250-300W PSU.

And while 12V ripple can be considered as very good that 3,3V ripple exceeds ATX specification, so not exactly great candidate to take aging/wear of capacitors.
Not sure if memory VRM uses 3,3V (originally memory used it directly) but 3,3V is common voltage for various logic chips.

While not very active and not as thorough in reviews as best sites HardwareInsights might be willing to do some kind reviews.

Man of Honour
Techpowerup and JonnyGuru do excellent indepth reviews (including internal components) that cover all classes of psu's not just high end units. Either of those would be my first choice but Kitguru do a decent job as well. At the end of the day I would like to see a honest, impartial, in depth review. At the moment there is nothing to back up anything good being said about them.

Soldato
@Kolink PSU PM - Phil - Hello there. Im looking to get a decent PSU around the 700W level. Are the KL branded PSU's better than the Core branded PSUs?

i.e. would https://www.overclockers.co.uk/koli...us-bronze-modular-power-supply-ca-02e-kk.html this be a good viable option?

@ScottiB Can you confirm that if I bought the above linked PSU, that OCUK would send me the "newer" PSU with Green design as per..

Anyway, Huntkey is long gone and since march 2016 only the new models are shipped. The new versions can be told apart from the old one by the power label stickers. New models use green color design instead of orange.

OcUK Staff
@Kolink PSU PM - Phil - Hello there. Im looking to get a decent PSU around the 700W level. Are the KL branded PSU's better than the Core branded PSUs?

i.e. would https://www.overclockers.co.uk/koli...us-bronze-modular-power-supply-ca-02e-kk.html this be a good viable option?

@ScottiB Can you confirm that if I bought the above linked PSU, that OCUK would send me the "newer" PSU with Green design as per..

Yes, the KL series are superior to the core series. And yes, all the current stock is the newer version.

Back
Top Bottom