Oculus Chrimbo sale now on :D

Soldato
If I change from my rift to the Vive at a later date can I still play the games I buy from the Oculus store on a Vive ?
Using the revive software, yes, but be aware that games designed for Oculus controllers may not map very well to vive controllers, and there can be performance issues. The best thing to do is to only buy oculus exclusive games from the oculus store, as these will not be turning up on steam any time soon - if ever.

Associate
If I change from my rift to the Vive at a later date can I still play the games I buy from the Oculus store on a Vive ?

Why would you do that though? I have a Vive, but looking at the recent threads in this forum it seems to be the Oculus Rift which is getting the most interest as a company that's being more proactive.

Associate
Why would you do that though? I have a Vive, but looking at the recent threads in this forum it seems to be the Oculus Rift which is getting the most interest as a company that's being more proactive.
Agree, it doesn't make much sense to switch. If one product was significantly better than the other or one was causing a lot of issues then fair enough.

Soldato
Decided that I am not going to pay anything new VR games for Christmas.

I find myself looking for new games instead of playing and enjoying the ones that I have. Haven't even started Elite Dangerous yet!! And have only scratched the surface in several others.

Soldato
Agree, it doesn't make much sense to switch. If one product was significantly better than the other or one was causing a lot of issues then fair enough.

Who knows for the next gen though...

I think the point is less that games bought from Steam will work with Vive or even Vive 2.0 if one comes out, more that it will work with pretty much any headset. If you are significantly invested in the oculus store, then you may have a tougher choice if the competitors end up with more attractive hardware in future.

That said, I've probably bought more from the oculus store than the Steam store. I think the games have to be pretty special to warrant going back and playing over the coming years so I'm not too bothered about losing them. Longer lived games (eg project cars 2 for example) I tend to buy from steam if I can, as that's the sort of game I could still see myself playing in a year or two when the next gen of headset arrives. I'm also pretty willing to be that the rift 2.0 hardware will be impressively cutting edge given how much money is going into Oculus research, but who knows - perhaps the competition will eclipse it!

Back
Top Bottom