Oculus Quest or the Rift S argh need to decide!

Associate
i could only get the quest in 128gb or maybe getting rift S

can we play games like iracing on the quest with a link cable? with the link cable can you play the games from the PC?

Cheers
Alf

Soldato
It all depends on what you want the VR for.. I mainly play sim racing games so the rift s is better suited.
If you don't want to be tied down to a PC then the quest is better suited.
All depends on your uses.
If it's mainly going to be used with a Pc then go for the rift s. It's got better visuals then when using a quest with a link cable.

Associate
OP
thanks guys appreciate it i think quest and link cable as it has flexibilty take anywhere and the ability to use the link to play the pc games? what ya think

Soldato
I have a CV1, a Quest and an Index (and a Go, but that's just used for media playback these days).

The Quest is a great headset, but its PC VR experience is a bit compromised compared to a dedicated PC headset.

It's only 72hz - this is noticable in fast paced games.
It's front-heavy and not very comfortable for some people without mods.
The Image quality when connected to PC is better than the CV1, but not as good as the Rift S or Index.
The Inside out tracking works really well but still has some limitations due to the headset cameras field of view.
It requires an add-on USB3 cable to connect to a PC. or additional software (Virtual Desktop).
Wireless VR streaming performance depends on how good your WiFi is. For instance I can't stream to my Quest in my living room where I have more room, as the 5Ghz signal isn't very good there.

For Sims I use my Index as it's massively superior due to the image clarity and resolution (I'd do the same if I had a Rift S), and my Index is of course near my PC so I don't have much room to move around.

For exercise games and room scale games I use my Quest as it's wire free and the native apps perform really well, and I can take it to bigger rooms where I have more freedom of movement.

It's up to you, but if your focus is sims, then you really need a dedicated PC VR headset for the best peformance and image clarity. The Quest excels at being portable and being able to use much bigger spaces than most people have for PC VR.

That said, you CAN use it for sims via Link or Virtual Desktop, and if you've never tried a Rift S or an Index you might not know what you're missing.

Associate
OP
@Ravenger and all

thank you for your feedback appreciate it.

I love also shooting first person style games and the need for excersize related games too i realised. This will be used by all the fam too. So I am stuck it seems the best will be the quest. Id go with the index full on it seems so much better for all reviews and people's word .... Nobody likes to be stuck and on a cable tied down ... I just wish i had the patience for the next version of the quest. With this lockdown we all want a release. No gym no going out we Need VR !!

I love riding my motorcycle missing this and racing .. missing the gym VR is our way out oh boy what to get stuck

anyway Ravenger it seems the Quest is the one that will give the cable link and the ability to freely excersize. I just hope i like graphically then the psvr do not like spending bucks and getting bad shoddy blocks not too much but more gameplay and enjoyment may make this up i hope.

thanks all. yes race sims Rift S but for all other things need a quest and if its one VR headset i guess the Quest is it! I hope

Cheers
All

Ready player one for me on Sunday with the quest it is!

Associate
Having had to make exactly this decision recently, here's what I did..

Budget left me the choice of Quest vs Rift S. My main driver was also sim racing games, which would have meant Rift S, however I did want to be able to bring it downstairs so the family could have a go, and the Link/Virtual Desktop feature meant I could play rift games as well. So I went for the Quest, and haven't regretted it.

Having not seen the Rift S display it's hard to be categoric, but the display is 'OK' on the Quest when playing Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2. I don't expect it's that much better on the Rift S. Resolution is definitely the one area that's lacking, but I think this is a general VR problem at the minute, and I don't think paying more than double for an Index would give improvement enough to justify the outlay. What's lost in resolution is more than made up with in immersion and depth perception, it's a night and day comparison with racing on monitors for me. Lap times have also drastically improved, but that might just be because I'm playing more

So it works for me, and at 72Hz it's fine for Sim racing. Definitely could be better, but it works. We also have a good laugh playing Beat Saber etc and it's great that it's not fixed to my PC, so there's that as well.

For me this was a 'test the water' in VR. I'm most definitely hooked and am now eagerly awaiting the next offering, this new HP/Valve HMD looks like it might fit the bill...

Associate
OP
@danswan im glad, i think made the right decision

i have the quest now but seem to have issue runnign the PC VR games from steam! i have the link cable installed software detected. I get no VR headset found or no headset that is supported. had this issue?
wanted to buy arizona game on steam and play it via the link not happening and thrill fihting game. Argh. what i am i doig wrong cheers

Soldato
have the quest now but seem to have issue runnign the PC VR games from steam! i have the link cable installed software detected. I get no VR headset found or no headset that is supported. had this issue?
wanted to buy arizona game on steam and play it via the link not happening and thrill fihting game. Argh. what i am i doig wrong cheers

Are you successfully within the oculus link home environment on your quest device? Youve been through the messages in the device about enabling link access? The oculus link virtual desktop works ok?

Associate
OP
yes made it ... thanks. i had to install steam VR and then it all worked cheers, sheez what an experience when you get games like pistol whip and others wow.. the next level in a few years be something else wish i was younger.

Associate
Don't forget IPD adjustment. That alone makes the Rift S a no go for me. I have an IPD of 60. Some say it will be fine, some not. I have a quest and I need to set the IPD slider to exactly 60 or the image isn't right. I wouldn't be prepared to take spend £400 only to find out that it doesn't work with my eyes.

Soldato
Don't forget IPD adjustment. That alone makes the Rift S a no go for me. I have an IPD of 60. Some say it will be fine, some not. I have a quest and I need to set the IPD slider to exactly 60 or the image isn't right. I wouldn't be prepared to take spend £400 only to find out that it doesn't work with my eyes.

IPD adjust is very important, but the lenses on the Rift S do seem to be better than the Quest's. They have a wider sweet spot and virtually no god rays or glare.

Soldato
The quest is the bettter built, better quality, better supported device with multiple use-cases including portable VR which no other headset can provide you with.
It gives you access to better sound, better contrast/colors/blacks, better FOV.
It is portable or can be tethered to the PC.
The cord for PC VR tether is much lighter and can be connected to a front port of the PC.
Its more easily stored.
Its build quality is better.
Its a purely Oculus engineered device as opposed to the Lenovo/Rift S.
It has basic features every VR headset should have like a physical IPD.

Honestly its a premium device. Its up there with my Valve Index in regards to construction and the feeling of luxury and value I get from it.

You trade off on clarity and a few hz (the Rift S isn't exactly a Valve Index in refresh rate anyway). The Oculus link connection isn't perfect either and you can get some block artifacts from time to time in dark scenes.. but then again in a Rift S those dark scenes will be disgusting greys.

My Rift S on the otherhand felt like a black piece of fischer price PC-version of a PSVR clone with abysmal audio.

I'd definitely get a Quest. Its a no brainer really. The OLED and portability really swing it back round. The Rift S doesn't have the sound, FOV, ergonomics, next gen controller design to swing it back in like the Index does when competing with the Quest.

Soldato
Higher bandwidth link capability (which is being worked on), will bring the Quest closer to the Rift S in visual quality, though it'll never be as sharp due to the OLED subpixel arrangement.

Associate
i could only get the quest in 128gb or maybe getting rift S

can we play games like iracing on the quest with a link cable? with the link cable can you play the games from the PC?

Cheers
Alf

The quest works phenomenally well with AMD ReLive wirelessly (AMD card required of course). I personally prefer it to the link cable.
I have the 128gb version and glad I went for it. The biggest issue is probably the screen door effect on bright colours. However if it is a green or dark scene, the OLED truly shines.

Associate
After using both i was seriously impressed with the quest, dident think i would be, was setting it up for a family member and was really surprised

Back
Top Bottom