Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
Depends how you look at it. You could also say that you could buy the Quest and Rift S and spend £121 on games for the price of the Valve bundle.

Very true. But that quest 128GB price is hard to swallow. £500... for 128GB... Its just borderline ridiculous.

I'm inclined to try and find some cheap v1.0 base stations and get the £750 valve bundle.

Soldato
From what I've seen so far even if I go crazy and buy like half a dozen titles (Beat sabre, Rec Room, Robo Recall, Superhot, Ultrawings, Vader Immortal, Space Pirate Trainer,etc) I want at launch that'll probably still only tally up to around 12Gb leaving at least 30-40Gb free on a 64Gb device.

One of the problems with the Go (and I think this'll be the same for the Quest) is there's currently no cloud-save feature, and no separate storage of save games from the actual game data. When you delete a game your save game data also gets deleted! This makes temporarily uninstalling games to make space problematic.

Unfortunately this also means that though many games are cross-buy you won't be able to seamlessly switch between rift and quest as your save game progress won't transfer. :(

Soldato
One of the problems with the Go (and I think this'll be the same for the Quest) is there's currently no cloud-save feature, and no separate storage of save games from the actual game data. When you delete a game your save game data also gets deleted! This makes temporarily uninstalling games to make space problematic.

Unfortunately this also means that though many games are cross-buy you won't be able to seamlessly switch between rift and quest as your save game progress won't transfer. :(

I really hope they implement cloud save functionality. With things like cross buy and limited storage in the devices its really something your expect from a games console (which is what the Quest effectively is) in 2019.

I notice you mention that your have an Oculus Go! Have you tried streaming 4k/180 VR movies to it from PC/NAS over wi-fi. Does that work ok?

Movies are pretty much the only reason I can see me needing more than 64gb storage and I'd assumed I could just stream them from my PC when I'm at home?

Last edited:
Soldato
I notice you mention that your have an Oculus Go! Have you tried streaming 4k/180 VR movies to it from PC/NAS over wi-fi. Does that work ok?

I don't have a NAS, so I've not been streaming movies that way (though I believe it's possible with apps like Skybox) To be honest 4K video would be overkill for the Go or Quest. Carmack says 720p is fine otherwise you'll get aliasing.

I copy 1080p SBS 3D movies to my Go and watch them that way - normal file sizes are around 4-6gb. Or I use virtual desktop and mirror my PC desktop in VR and view content that way. Movies look great in the Go, very crisp and 3D movies look amazing.

I'll be interested to see how clear the Quest is in comparison. I may well sell my Go if the higher resolution Quest screens compensate enough for the OLED pentile arrangement. The Go and Rift S RGB stripe screens have a higher apparent resolution despite being lower actual res.

Soldato
Cool. I have a 64gb Quest on pre-order so can post my thoughts in comparison to the Oculus Go I had previously and the Sony PSVR and Lenovo WMR headsets I also have.

I really need to do something about my VR addiction but the technology is just so cool! Nothing else in terms of gaming really catches my interest these days.

Associate
I've put an order in for the quest 64gb. I am all for trying an untethered version to see how it goes, even though I have a good pc pc run others. Price point seems okay for the 64gb version. Be nice to see how it compares to the psvr I've owned but sold as all the faff was annoying.

Associate
Ordered the 64gb as I'll only use it for games and that should hold 20+ games I'd imagine.

So do all the launch games have cross buy if you've already bought them?
I had a HTC Vive awhile back and sure I've got some oculus games awhile back.

Edit - Is there anyway to see what games I own with Oculus?? I don't have access to a pc/laptop anymore. Just ipad

Associate
Ordered the 64gb as I'll only use it for games and that should hold 20+ games I'd imagine.

So do all the launch games have cross buy if you've already bought them?

Edit - Is there anyway to see what games I own with Oculus?? I don't have access to a pc/laptop anymore. Just ipad

Not all games have cross-buy, it's up to the developers if they want to allow it or not. Here's a list of the current ones

I would assume you can download the Oculus app onto your iPad, login and see all the games you've bought from there.

Soldato
Damn. The initial reviews have been so positive and there's so much cool stuff coming out for the Quest that it's giving me storage anxiety about the 64gb model. Plus I've priced up buying a travel 802.11ac router with USB stick for WiFi storage for movies and that's gonna be at least £50-60.

I've decided to let Oculus mug me and have cancelled the 64gb version in favour of a 128gb model :eek:

I hate you Mr Zuckerberg!

Update: perhaps unsurprisingly the 64gb model is sold out on the rainforest store whereas the 128gb is still available!

Last edited:
Soldato
64gb is fine for me

I'll use it for purely gaming and can't imagine ever playing more than a handful of games at a time.

For purely games 64gb will be definitely be fine but I also want to use it for VR/4K movies so feel I'd really benefit from the extra capacity.

Put it this way. I've spent several hours investigating ways to increase the capacity via streaming. This tells me I should probably just pony up the extra for the 128gb model as I'll definitely use it!

Associate
Keep seeing people asking online if any UK stores will have demo units to try out first. Anyone know? Maybe Overclockers will have one in their VR room?

Soldato
Keep seeing people asking online if any UK stores will have demo units to try out first. Anyone know? Maybe Overclockers will have one in their VR room?

I'm going to be a one-man demo station, showing my Quest to my friends and colleagues. Oculus should be giving me a Quest for free, because I'm going to sell loads. :D

Soldato

I really hope they do but based on the Oculus Go retail presence you'll be lucky to see it anywhere unless GAME arrange demos like they did with Playstation VR!

Soldato
I think I'll possibly order this via someone like Amazon so I can return it if it sucks.

Although I appreciate how cool it is, the 128gb pricing irritates me. Sadly, I know I'll need 128GB for my Vr po... poo... poems.

Soldato
Yeah, I ordered the 128gb for VR poems as well. I hear some of those VR poems can take up several gigabytes for each verse ;)

For anyone wondering the 64gb version appears to have 45gb free out of the box.

Here's a good demo of the menu system for anyone interested

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I ordered the 128gb for VR poems as well. I hear some of those VR poems can take up several gigabytes for each verse ;)

For anyone wondering the 64gb version appears to have 45gb free out of the box.

Here's a good demo of the menu system for anyone interested

I caved.

Just ordered a 128gb version. I know I'm getting taken advantage of for the 64GB of storage but oh well.

Back
Top Bottom