** OCULUS RIFT BLACK FRIDAY DEALS **

OcUK Staff
Oculus have gone for a simple and clean message for their BF deals.

Save £50 on Rift S and Oculus Go 64/128GB Headsets!

Oculus Rift S Virtual Reality System - VR Headset and Touch Controllers @ £348.95 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Ocul...-Headset-and-Touch-Controllers-VR-00B-OR.html

Top VR Gaming Library, Improved Optics, Ergonomic Design, Oculus Touch Controllers, Oculus Insight Tracking, Integrated Audio

Only £348.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Oculus Go - 32GB Standalone Virtual Reality Headset @ £148.99 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Oculus-Go-32GB-Standalone-Virtual-Reality-Headset-VR-006-OR.html

Oculus Go is the easiest way to jump into virtual reality. Just put it on and switch it on. No additional devices while in VR.

Only £148.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Oculus Go - 64GB Standalone Virtual Reality Headset @ £199.99 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Oculus-Go-64GB-Standalone-Virtual-Reality-Headset-VR-008-OR.html

Oculus Go is the easiest way to jump into virtual reality. Just put it on and switch it on. No additional devices while in VR.

Only £199.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Soldato
No quest price reduction?

was never gonna happen.

rift S for £350 is a bargain tho compared to where VR was 5 years ago.

after experimenting with the Rift S and Quest for PCVR.. i can say i'd still take the rift S as the headset of choice when linked to a PC. The quest with its OLEDs does some games AMAZINGLY well. but the rift s is a safer more comfortable bet.

350 vs 919 of the index. its insane value. if oculus can just hit the £300 price point its going to be silly. i have a feeling if lenovo weren't involved, it would have probably of hit that price already.

Associate
. its insane value.

It's a loss leader. And you're getting tied in to an ecosystem that is pulling away from high-end VR towards consumer level mass adoption. Likely you'll find yourself upgrading in the future to a different VR headset that is not a Facebook VR set. So when you factor in that, your cost of that "value" headset will be lessened. But, even that would be better than no VR. VR is amazing. If the only way you can experience is by joining Facebook's ecosystem, then fair enough. Just be wary. Don't be taken in with Facebook's bribes without asking what they are getting out of it.

Facebook have deeper pockets than valve. All-in, Index is still a superior headset regards comfort, controllers, comfort, FoV, refresh rates, sound and comfort. And it comes with a HL:A code, which Facebook VR users will need to pony up for separately. If you can wear your index for five hours at a time without noticing it day-after-day, then that's going to give you better value for money than something cheaper that you have to take breaks from. YMMV of course.

Soldato
It's a loss leader. And you're getting tied in to an ecosystem that is pulling away from high-end VR towards consumer level mass adoption. Likely you'll find yourself upgrading in the future to a different VR headset that is not a Facebook VR set. So when you factor in that, your cost of that "value" headset will be lessened. But, even that would be better than no VR. VR is amazing. If the only way you can experience is by joining Facebook's ecosystem, then fair enough. Just be wary. Don't be taken in with Facebook's bribes without asking what they are getting out of it.

Facebook have deeper pockets than valve. All-in, Index is still a superior headset regards comfort, controllers, comfort, FoV, refresh rates, sound and comfort. And it comes with a HL:A code, which Facebook VR users will need to pony up for separately. If you can wear your index for five hours at a time without noticing it day-after-day, then that's going to give you better value for money than something cheaper that you have to take breaks from. YMMV of course.

You’re getting tied to an eco system that has cross play availability with the only and BEST portable VR headset in the market.

As you get tied into the Facebook eco system with its software, you get tied into the Valve Ecosystem with its 250 pound base station entry requirement which is now useless in any VR system but Valves!

One ties you down with software and the other hardware. The main disadvantage with Valve is you are literally at their mercy in regards to RMA and hardware support (which as per the valve index reddit has had 1-2 month turn arounds for issues at times whilst the former Oculus products can just be returned to a retailer no questions asked if they are decent!).

I’m not going to entertain your anti-facebook bias as I find it pathetic that you bring up Half Life Alyx but fail to bring up Stormland, Asgard’s Wrath, Lone Echo, Robo Recall, Wilson’s Heart and the slew of other excellent Oculus exclusives.

I’m interested in having a well balanced discussion about the headsets and not from some rabid fanboy of Valve’s or some anti facebook conspiracist.

Onto the Index, sure for 919 pounds it offers the best VR headset but not without its caveats. The poor hardware support or shall I say inconsistent is a big one. It’s base station requirement is double edged as although it has best in class tracking, it has the worst flexibility. It can’t go room to room easily. It’s glare on the screen is HORRIBLE and even popped up in bright scenes for me despite constant re-positioning. Not a deal breaker but a clear negative compared to the Rift S/Quest. It’s audio solution is good but not great if you have a noisy PC or you like to double your sound through your 5.1 system to get a subwoofer response due to the delay. The lack of OLED is a big deal breaker for something costing 919 too. Sure I can accept it for 350 but the lack of black level is very evident in games like Vader Immortal whilst on the Quest its mesmerising. On the Index and the Rift S, I feel like I’m looking at a screen due to the horrible colours whilst on the Quest/CV1/Vive/Vive Pro the colours have a lot more pop. The software currently available for the Index and SteamVR is also far inferior to what Oculus offer at present.. anyone who says otherwise hasn’t used both. I can flawlessly open a game, then press pause, open up 3 virtual desktops, go to a game guide, get some help, answer a message, edit my settings and return to the game flawlessly. On steamVR it’s would be a janky laggy mess.

Also sadly for 919 I can’t help but feel the Index should have come with wireless functionality. I can sure as hell feel the Index whenever I’ve used it to due the horribly thick wire. again I accept these short comings for 350.. hard to stomach for 919.

I’m also not excited by Valve’s roadmap of software support re: games which was we will release a game in 2019 which did NOT happen. Then they’ll release Alyx and said they only have 2 games in production. Thank god for Revive or Index users wouldn’t have many AAA games to play.

All in all, if I remove the pathetic anti facebook bias from your post, I agree with many points you’ve raised but you are only painting one side of the picture. I think the Valve Index is the best PCVR headset on the market but for me, as a VR fan, it doesn’t offer what we were all asking for re the 919 quid price tag prior to its release. It’s a combination of meaningful but incremental upgrades which provides an overall superior experience but is marred by SteamVR and the lack of exclusive or native content taking full advantage of the 300 pound overpriced and poorly made index controllers.

I didn’t even get onto the Index controllers which although great in concept have the worst joystick and buttons I’ve used of any controller. Ergonomically far inferior but I respect the finger tracking tech which looks incredible, especially in the Alyx trailer.

Just to maintain some balance as I don’t want to be accused of being an Oculus sheep as you are a facebook hater, the Oculus rift S has absolutely crap audio, no manual IPD which is almost inexcusable and a lower refresh rate of 80hz. Although facebook can dress this up as keeping the system requirements acceptable, no option to overclock to 90 is pathetic. It also has same disgusting flaws of LCD panels and no wireless which can be maybe stomached for 350 quid. It’s controllers are rock solid but no evolution re: input which sucks.

I also find it pathetic you mention facebook bribes and then in the next paragraph mention Valve providing Alyx for free to Index users.

Overall I don’t think a consumer can go wrong with either headset/eco system but both are flawed and both lock you into their silly business practices in different ways. Valve does it with the initial financial outlay of the base stations and the extortionate package price whilst Oculus are obviously keeping profits to a minimum From hardware and hoping to get your money in the software sales department. The bonus is Oculus Quest cross play and a very very smooth experience with native Oculus software which sadly isn’t my experience with SteamVR.. but that can be expected as Oculus’s requirements for a game being on the store are higher than Valve’s.

I don’t respect either company that much at all, although Valve have gone a way to improving my opinion on them by making Half Life Alyx VR exclusive. However I also really dislike the notion of trying to fanboy over either. Both have clear pros and cons and either way a consumer goes, they’ll have to trade pros and cons.

Soldato
Back on topic, the Rift S is an incredible deal and I can’t think of a device which provides you with the level of software experience and library of games at this price point with excellently well built ergonomic controllers. The fact you get native support for nearly every single top tier game in PCVR without the need to use revive is also a killer feature people like to neglect to mention (the exceptions I know of being Skyrim, Fallout and Doom which all have openVR mods).

Just remember to
1. Make sure your IPD is in range
2. Buy headphones (I suggest KSC75 for 15 quid and bend them onto the plastic)
3. Buy Mamut grips for the controller so you can let go of them whilst playing and they don’t fall to the ground.

If your IPD is out of range, your only options are a Vive Pro or Index at double and soon to be triple the price.

Back
Top Bottom