Oculus Rift CV1 replacement cables no longer available

Associate
Yes, now I can sell it and get a Rift S / Valve Index / Other headset. :p

Actually I plan to keep it for a while yet, but if I do sell it or pass it on in the future at least I can say the cable has been replaced.

I created an account just to ask this. How exactly did you convince them to send you a new one? I just got a ticket closed with Oculus because my warranty expired and they refuse to send me a new one. I have been scouring the internet for like a week to try and find either a replacement or a fix for the cable. These cables literally do not exist anywhere on the internet.

EDIT: for those worried, Oculus has officially acknowledged that the problem exists, and says they're "evaluating options". Whatever that means.

Soldato
EDIT: for those worried, Oculus has officially acknowledged that the problem exists, and says they're "evaluating options". Whatever that means.

It likely means that they'll continue 'evaluating' options until everybody has 'upgraded' or give up asking.

Soldato
OP
I created an account just to ask this. How exactly did you convince them to send you a new one? I just got a ticket closed with Oculus because my warranty expired and they refuse to send me a new one.

I'm not sure why they relented. I sent a polite, but strongly worded email saying how disappointed I was and that I owned a Go, a Rift and a Quest and bought dozens of games from their store, and that this would make it less likely I would buy any further Oculus products. I also said that it's ludicrous that a £400 headset just out of warranty could be rendered useless by lack of a spare part that's designed to be easily replaceable.

They said that as my Rift was just out of warranty they had managed to find a cable for me, which was totally unexpected, but extremely welcome. It's a shame that they can't do this for everyone.

Associate
I'm not sure why they relented. I sent a polite, but strongly worded email saying how disappointed I was and that I owned a Go, a Rift and a Quest and bought dozens of games from their store, and that this would make it less likely I would buy any further Oculus products. I also said that it's ludicrous that a £400 headset just out of warranty could be rendered useless by lack of a spare part that's designed to be easily replaceable.

They said that as my Rift was just out of warranty they had managed to find a cable for me, which was totally unexpected, but extremely welcome. It's a shame that they can't do this for everyone.

After thinking about it, I don't think I will do this, primarily because I do not have an extended business history with Oculus. I think what's going to happen is I am going to purchase a broken headset from somewhere on ebay or something and salvage the cable. That or I'm going to literally strip the black rubber off the cable and find the problem myself. Thanks for the quick response though.

Soldato
Yes, now I can sell it and get a Rift S / Valve Index / Other headset. :p

Actually I plan to keep it for a while yet, but if I do sell it or pass it on in the future at least I can say the cable has been replaced.

You were really lucky to get the cable out of Warranty. Well done. Especially after reading that the cable problem might not be all the fault of Oculus because the third party company that makes the cables has actually gone out of business! I guess that's why they were so reluctant to help you.

Soldato
OP
You were really lucky to get the cable out of Warranty. Well done. Especially after reading that the cable problem might not be all the fault of Oculus because the third party company that makes the cables has actually gone out of business! I guess that's why they were so reluctant to help you.

I've been very lucky! The cable turned up today. I'm looking forward to playing stand-up PC VR again. The Quest is great, and I can play in much bigger areas, but I'm missing some of the games like From Other Suns and In-Death which really need to be played standing, and streaming from Quest isn't as good as wired.

Associate
Irrespective of warranty, consumer rights dictate that an item last for a reasonable period of time. I'm not sure that legally Oculus can simply dismiss these claims as being out of warranty as a £400 headset being rendered unusable after only a couple of years normal use probably wouldn't meet any normal definition of 'reasonable' - they are probably simply counting on not having to litigate on the point. Bar stewards.

Soldato
I'm sure that there is money in those cables, as it seems that every rift that's been sold will need a replacement at some time.

Do you really think so? I think that if there was money in those cables, places would be manufacturing them already. There hasn't even been any cheap knockoffs available.

Soldato
That just proves my point. If there was money in supplying cables to the public, somebody would already be doing it.

Not really, there was little point in it before hand, the cables worked and were simply & cheaply extended, it's not like VR Covers which offer a different fit or comfort level or the added ease of Widmo lens adaptors. It would have difficult for any third party to have offered anything significantly more than the standard part offered by Oculus and as such was probably not even worth looking into, now however nobody is supplying even the standard base cables so only time will tell if it is worth a third party producing them.

Back
Top Bottom