** OCULUS RIFT S AND OCULUS QUEST AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

OcUK Staff
Hi all,

You can bag yourself a quest 64GB or 128GB or a Rift S for launch by pre-ordering via the links below.

The release date for the Oculus Rift S and Quest is 21st May 2019

Oculus Rift S Virtual Reality System - VR Headset and Touch Controllers @ £398.99 inc VAT

Top VR Gaming Library, Improved Optics, Ergonomic Design, Oculus Touch Controllers, Oculus Insight Tracking, Integrated Audio

Only £398.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Oculus Quest all-in-one VR Gaming System 128GB @ £498.95 inc VAT

Oculus Quest all-in-one VR gaming system 128GB, No PC No wires, Easy set up, Incredible VR Games, Oculus Insight Tracking

Only £498.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Oculus Quest all-in-one VR gaming system 64GB @ £398.99 inc VAT

Oculus Quest all-in-one VR gaming system 64GB, No PC No wires, Easy set up, Incredible VR Games, Oculus Insight Tracking

Only £398.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Soldato
..Its Nintendo WiiU level graphics, strapped to your head, for only £500.

Bargain!!

All I want is a VR system for £500 running at 4K, 120fps & 2080Ti level graphics (not bothered about Ray tracing though :) )

Is that too much to ask for...adopts Austin Powers voice...HONESTLY!!!

Associate
..Its Nintendo WiiU level graphics, strapped to your head, for only £500.

Bargain!!

All I want is a VR system for £500 running at 4K, 120fps & 2080Ti level graphics (not bothered about Ray tracing though :) )

Is that too much to ask for...adopts Austin Powers voice...HONESTLY!!!

Sure, let's push VR into a smaller niche than it's already in.

Soldato
Hmm whenever I see any streams or video of someone using VR it looks to me like I'm looking down a funnel makes me dizzy just watching let alone playing it , So I wont be going down the VR rout :)
maybe i am missunderstanding you, however it is impossible to get an idea of VR from watching a 2D stream.

you really need to try it, and it should not look like you are looking down a tunnel (i have never experienced that any way)

For me the biggest downside of VR for gaming is it totally ruins some genres of games when they are no in VR.

many of my barely touched games i will never play again, because they are not in vr and so just dont interest me any more. I *tried* to play Forza and Drive Club (on my ps4) and they just do not do it for me now and i have access to star citizen beta and that i have not bothered to try for 2 years or more.

(I am not gonna lie tho, i do so wish oculus had put the snapdragon 845 in the quest as VR really needs every bit of juice it can get. I feel that would have been a better balance of price/performance than the rather long in the tooth 835.)

Last edited:
Soldato
maybe i am missunderstanding you, however it is impossible to get an idea of VR from watching a 2D stream.

you really need to try it, and it should not look like you are looking down a tunnel (i have never experienced that any way)

For me the biggest downside of VR for gaming is it totally ruins some genres of games when they are no in VR.

many of my barely touched games i will never play again, because they are not in vr and so just dont interest me any more. I *tried* to play Forza and Drive Club (on my ps4) and they just do not do it for me now and i have access to star citizen beta and that i have not bothered to try for 2 years or more.

OK so when I have watched VR videos on say youtube sometimes it seems as though the FOV has maybe not been adjusted ie can look like its been stretched forward , maybe thats it ?

Soldato
I think you need to try a (high end) VR device such as the rift or the vive and then you will know better if you get on with it or not..... if you need eye correction and you have them, wear contact lenses , glasses can be an issue in VR depending on the size of your frames, esp with the rift.

Soldato
Whilst VR is still very much in its infancy, and it has issues that need addressing, resolution, FOV and tracking to name a few. The main thing that blows me away is the sense of scale. Looking up at a skyscraper on a monitor, the skyscraper is only as tall as the height of the monitor. In VR it's hundreds of feet tall. Coupled with the fact that when you look round, your inner ear is telling you that you're looking round and not panning round on a flat screen also adds to the immersion level. I can't understand how something like vorpx isn't more mainstream as a lot of older games could be more immersive in VR.

Associate
OK so when I have watched VR videos on say youtube sometimes it seems as though the FOV has maybe not been adjusted ie can look like its been stretched forward , maybe thats it ?

VR has a 360 deg FOV, you are literally inside the environment. There's no physical way to translate that to a 2d video on youtube. To decide VR isn't for you because of watching something on youtube is doing yourself no favours at all.

To give you an idea of realism, the built-in demo that comes with the rift includes a scene on top of a building looking at a city scape. My other half who is scared of heights can't do it, it's that realistic. Another scene involves a T-Rex walking toward you down a corridor, he looked away while it walked towards him and when he looked back it was directly in his face and he physically jumped back about 3ft (very funny!).

Back
Top Bottom