OCZ Reaper PC2-8000 4GB + IP35 Pro

Associate
Just bought these from OCUK and cannot get the mobo to POST. Have tried one stick in each of the four slots. I know this RAM is supposed to be set to 2.1V but has anyone got this combo working with the default 1.8V for RAM on this board?

If I had other DDR2 lying around I'd put it in to try and get the BIOS setup, but don't have. Not even sure if it is insufficient voltage or a faulty product.

What BIOS is likely to be on this mobo, bought last week?

Cob

Cob

Soldato
The 2x2gb kit?

I've the 2x2gb OCZ PC2-8000 Platinum kit in that board (it's the exact same as the Reaper kit, minus the 'handles') and I've had no issues booting at 1.8v with upto three 2gb modules installed.

Have you cleared the CMOS?

Associate
OP
Yes part number OCZ2RPX10004GK. I've tried clearing the CMOS after pressing the on-board power button to discharge the capacitors.

I just managed to find some DDR2 which let me get into the BIOS. I went into uGuru and set the RAM voltage to 2.1V and saved the settings. Powered down and swapped back in one of the Reapers and it still sticks at C1.

Associate
I've got these + a E8400. Booted for me first time with RAM at 1.8V (apart from temp alarm due to dodgy temp reading for CPU).

Went up to 2.1V fairly quickly since I was overclocking anyway. Now 24hrs prime stable at 3.6GHz 400FSB, RAM ratio 5:6 for RAM at at 480MHz.

In other words - it should be fine!

Can't really think of much to suggest except the obvious -
1. try one stick of RAM at a time
2. try RAM in another computer if you can
3. run memtest on the RAM if you can
4. check the bios version (once you can get it to POST) I'm on official bios 16 now

Associate
OP
Well still no progress. Tried:

optimised defaults + 2.1V
fail-safe default + 2.1V and 1.9V, as recommended on the OCZ forum
setting RAM timings + 1.9V, again from OCZ forum
BIOS upgrade to 16 final release and all the above again

Each time I have to swap out for a 1GB stick from another PC. That RAM boots the PC fine every time.

After the BIOS upgrade, as well as the C1 POST code I also get the BIOS beep, one long beep, pause, one long beep, pause, etc. The manual doesn't list the beep codes, can anyone remember what this sequence signifies? I'm willing to bet it's RAM as the POST code already tells me that.

Associate
OP
Hmm...the RAM is difficult to get in but the motherboard is bending quite a lot with the force, and the clips are fully locked into place. Doubt the RAM sockets are broken as I've had other RAM working in this motherboard.

Associate
OP
Good news. After taking advice from the OCZ forums I updated the SPD on my RAM and now my IP35 Pro is happy to accept it using the default AUTO voltage.

Associate
:)

SPD - that's the timings for the RAM isn't it? Did you just change the timings manually rather than leaving it at auto then? How'd you do that if it wouldn't POST?

Well done anyway!

Cob

Cob

Soldato
OCZ have a tool for reprogramming the SPD of their memory. He would have done it in the other PC.

Good to hear that you got it working.

Back
Top Bottom