OCZ Vertex 4 SSD for Next MBP ?!?

Associate
Hello Guys and Girls

i am looking into getting the next macbookpro when it is released.. Hopefully with the ivybridge chipset.. as i am selling my existing mbp. (am putting back in the 320gb hdd and using the Vertex 2e on another pc)

The first thing to change will be the hdd to ssd. Will this new ssd be ok to use or should I be better of with the Vertex 3? or perhaps any other suggestion.

many thanks in advance btw

Soldato
I think the last MBP release had a problem with SATAIII drives initially, I don't know if this has been fixed or not. It might be worth holding off until a week after the next refresh to see if anyone has any problems. There will be many people itching to get a V4 in a MBP.

Soldato
Hello Guys and Girls

i am looking into getting the next macbookpro when it is released.. Hopefully with the ivybridge chipset.. as i am selling my existing mbp. (am putting back in the 320gb hdd and using the Vertex 2e on another pc)

The first thing to change will be the hdd to ssd. Will this new ssd be ok to use or should I be better of with the Vertex 3? or perhaps any other suggestion.

many thanks in advance btw

I don't see why not, it's all just standard SATA in the MBP. The Vertex 4 is faster than the 3, so you definitely want one of those! :D
Is it possible to enable SDD cleaning on a non Apple SDD?
Do you mean trim?

Associate
OP
Thanks for replies.. i will wait and see what Apple actually do... It will be about May time (according to rumours).. i've been given a good offer on my existing mbp so i will have 1200 to spend. and of course the existing ssd is coming out (vertex2e which is only sataII).. I could use that but will wait and see!..

Associate
The next MacBook Pro's probably will be like MacBook Air's, but just in case they aren't you may want to have a look at the Samsung 830 SSDs. This is the drive AnandTech recommends for Mac's in its Vertex 4 review. :)

In the end, as with most brand new controllers and SSD reviews our conclusion is to wait. Vertex 4 is a unique drive that really delivers a lot of what we've been asking for from a performance standpoint, but with some tangible caveats that we're told will be resolved in the coming weeks. If you're buying an SSD today, our standard recommendation (particularly for Mac users) is Samsung's SSD 830. If you have a workload that demands better write and/or random read performance, let's see how this and other soon-to-be-announced drives behave over time before jumping the gun. (Source)

Back
Top Bottom