Odd noise I cant seem to diagnose...

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Driving to pick up some stuff yesterday I joined the A57M and promptly ground to a halt in traffic. As I rolled down the hill I could make out a slight clunking noise coming from the front, dependant on my speed (so as I moved slower the intervals were longer). It then went from being a slight clunking to me being able to feel it through the floor of the car. It subsides at higher speeds but returns when I slow down again. There is no other noise bar the clunking either, and I *think* its coming from the passenger side...

I dont have a jack to hand and I have to park a 3 minute walk from my house (and there is absolutely NO physical way to park closer) so getting under and pulling things apart isn't easy, but from what I could see under the car nothing appears to be broken or fouling the wheels on either side. Its not something I could identify as a problem I have had before so I am at a bit of a loss as to what is wrong!

Any ideas? (its a Mk1 Mundano, btw)

Man of Honour
Hmmm... first check for me would be the anti roll bar drop links (they join the strut to the ARB)

These tend to give a hollow "donk" that you can feel through the floor when going over potholes/drains/speed bumps.

I'm used to them failing on the 205 but they are a weak spot on the Mondeo too.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
I thought of the ARB, but then why would it clunk in time with the rotation of the wheels?

I did go over a couple of speed bumps beforehand, so its quite possible its that.

I need to travel to Liverpool soon, so I need to get it sorted asap!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
Of course im still driving it! Dont be silly :p

Whatever is making the noise is obviously hitting something - so its either going to wear away the wrong bit and something catastrophic will happen at an inopportune moment or the right bit will wear down and the noise will go away.

Still, I wouldnt mind finding out whats up :p

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
UPDATE!!!

Just been out for a quick drive and while it started out as a thumping/squeaking, its now a higher pitched squeak accompanied by someone with a lump hammer hitting the underside of my car. At 10-15 mph its loud, at 40mph the car is getting on for undriveable. I didnt have the balls/stupidity to go any faster than that.

So...

Its after the engine, because it doesnt do it when I rev the engine whilst stationary, its after the gearbox because I cant feel it through the gear lever and it doesnt seem to matter what gear I am in and there is nothing fouling the wheels. Which pretty much leaves it down to a driveshaft problem.

Argh :(:(

Man of Honour
Driveshaft shouldn't set you back much for a whole used one - after cracking off the hub nut and balljoint you can just "unplug" one shaft and plug the new one in.

I expect it's whatever side has a split in the CV gaiter......

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
I will have to find a friendly mechanic nearby here as I have absolutely no tools with me here and its a bit tooooo severe for a jaunt up the motorway to somewhere I know...

Anyone know any good (or at least reasonable) garages in Salford?

Back
Top Bottom