Odd X99 RAM issue in BF1 - anyone seen this before?

Soldato
Before I start going into details, I've only noticed it in Battlefield 1. Aside from that the system seemed stable and had been tested thoroughly, so I could only assume it's the game, but it's a weird one.

I was using a Corsair 4x4GB 3000MHz C15 kit previously (with the system in sig) and in these games it would almost always try it's best to stay under around 8GB of RAM without anything but the OS and a few basic apps in the background. As soon as the game starts to reach around 8GB or so, it would suddenly drop around 1GB from RAM thus causing the whole system to lag with a sharp drop in fps for a few seconds. Look for the sharp RAM usage drop in the following monitors:

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/Nocky24/Public/fps bombs in bf1_zps04nrbpky.jpg (on the monitor line)
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/Nocky24/Public/frame drop comparison bf1_zpslvrlywju.jpg (just before the monitor line)

This would happen on high RAM usage maps such as Amiens. It wasn't as if the system couldn't utilise the extra RAM as I ran a VM in the background just to saturate it a bit. I messed around with pagefiles, set everything to stock and the same thing happened time and time again.

Prior to this memory kit I had a 32GB kit, which worked fine (not entirely compatible though, 100 chipset series) so I thought I'd buy another 4x8GB kit this time (X99 approved this time). Sure enough, no lag or dodgy frame rate drops - runs perfectly and drives up to 9.5GB RAM in game.

I checked the motherboard memory compatibility sheet for my motherboard and both the 16GB and 32GB kits are there. I also have the latest bios so I think I can rule that out.

It works now and I'm happy, but problems like this without knowing the reason for it annoy me a bit :) only thing that I can think of is the way Battlefield games address quad channel memory when running 4GB modules. Maybe it only utilises dual channels? If that was the case though, I would have expected a lot more moaning from the BF crowd...

Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
Who knows. That kind of behavior is normally from when swap out occurs. Could have also been instability if you hadn't ran any valid stress tests.
Granted I didn't do an extensive memtest with this 16gb kit as it had already passed hours of Realbench and other intensive tasks so I just left it at that. As you say, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom