Offered new job dilema

Soldato
I've been at my current work for 2.5years now, across that time i've had a salary increase of 25%, of which the most recent 10% increase has come this month. They've obviously treated me well, and recognised my input and development. Interestingly I asked for the latest pay increase 6 months ago and have only just been given it, as my current manager has handed her notice in...

Further to this I had a call from a recruiter a while ago to interview for a job with another bank doing the same thing I'm currently doing. I was interested in how they operate and so went along and had the interview, for which I was eventually offered the job.

However, the offer they made was initially 2.5k below my new salary, so I asked for more to which they've now met my current salary. However, higher pension contribution will mean take home is still less than current. The only kicker is that the new offer will include a bonus of 10-20%, however I'm unlikely to get it in year one given a 3 month notice period means I wouldn't be joining until November.

So I'm in a bit of a conundrum. Do I upset the apple cart and move jobs which is in itself a risk, for what seems like at the moment limited reward, or do I stay put, where I potentially have openings since my manager is now leaving?

The only other considerations are that a lot of other talented staff have left my current workplace so moving forward things are going to be more difficult to progress given the more limited resource, and the organisation appears to be stagnating somewhat in general. The new place is a rapidly growing business with good ambitions and so I would imagine it may be a more interesting environment to be in. Other aspects, my current work life balance is excellent, and can work from home up to 4 days a week, new job would be 2 at a push. All in quite a difficult decision to ground out.

Caporegime
Boss leaving is a worry as new boss could be an arse hole. But you seem happy where you are and with less take home and half as much working from home it doesn't seem wise to switch. What's the commute like to the new job as this will also impact your take home as well with 2x more commute

Soldato
Money side looks to be largely irrelevant as they're matching your recently increased salary. I'd ignore the drop in take-home caused by the pension as that will only benefit you in the long run anyway.

What do you value more: current environment with known quantity and work from home (got to be good given how horrible London commutes usually are) or new more interesting environment. If you stay, are you in a position to shape the environment to be more interesting ?

Associate
unless you can get the new employer to match or better all of your current terms i.e the 4 days working from home etc then unless you have a issue with your current employer it sounds like it may be wise to stay from the info you have given. Most people want good wages and a good work life balance and it sounds that your current employer is offering the better work life balance

Permabanned
It comes down to which one you want to do, because there's basically nothing in it, so we can't decide it for you.

I probably wouldn't do a sideways move. I'd be wanting more money for a move, otherwise I wouldn't even consider it.

Soldato
OP
Interesting views all round, I think you are all right in that it depends on what I want. The only thing that edges me closer to the new job is working with better people. I currently don't actually learn that much or am not pushed a huge amount in my current job so its easy to float along to a certain degree. I do slightly miss being pushed harder, challenged and working with great people.

Commute wise, they're both City of London so no difference, I cycle most of the time so it doesn't bother me too much.

One other thing I am considering is just telling my current work to see what/if they do anything in terms of a counter offer? May be hard given that they've just pushed through a pay rise, but then they definitely won't be happy to lose me and my current manager.

Permabanned
One other thing I am considering is just telling my current work to see what/if they do anything in terms of a counter offer?
If you do this, you have to leave if they don't produce a counter-offer. If you've decided to leave for reasons other than money, even if they offered something like 10%, I doubt that would make you stay, so it's kinda pointless.

Soldato
For me the idea of moving is for a step up. Whether that's in salary/ package, role, progression, types of project, etc. unless you're very unhappy where you are. Seems you've not been there huge amounts of time and got a decent progression currently. I know you mentioned good people leaving, and work stagnating; how bad is it? Is the atmosphere bad?
Could it lead to more opportunity?

As mentioned, I normally would try and ensure I'm moving for one of the reasons I mentioned above and often more than one of them. Moving is a good chance to get a nice bump up a step. Have you done much research into the new company? Know anyone who works there, or projects/ work they're doing?

Back
Top Bottom