Offering Payroll Services

Soldato
My wife offers payroll services as a job from home. She could do with a few more jobs as a few companies have gone under recently.

A lot of her long standing clients came from her dad who was an accountant in practice with his own firm. He's no longer with us and i'm trying to think of the most effective options.

1. Cold Call/Leaflet drop to local business - This i imagine would go straight in the bin
2. Join the local Chamber of Commerce/Local Business groups and try and network
3. Ring round local accountants to see if they could pass on any referrals
4. Post on facebook groups for local businesses

Anyone have any extra suggestions or things they would suggest?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Good shout i hadn't thought of Linkedin.

I have the premium Sales Navigator which makes finding contacts quite easy. Do you think just finding local businesses and target the owners? I don't think we could compete with big companies but family businesses and the like where you can give a better customer service is definately our market.

Associate
Gumtree
Vivastreet
Fiverr
Elance
Upwork
Build / Buy a website
SEO / Internet / Social Media Marketing services
Start a blog
Start a referral service

Associate
Also http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/50-free-or-cheap-advertising-ideas.155793/

1. Put your website on notepads, pens, newsletters, bumper stickers, coffee cups.

2. Flyers. When you buy your morning paper, slip some flyers in with the rest of the newspapers.

3. Business cards (You can make up your own or get them free through VistaPrint)

4. Article marketing is one of my favorite method of advertising. If you write articles and then use a service to publish them, your articles become viral.Your articles will spread like a virus and could have the
potential to be viewed by hundreds of thousands of people.

5. Participating in online discussion forums is an excellent way to get the word out about your business, and it is free. Build relationships first and use your signature file to let everyone know what you do
and who you are.

6. Free classifieds. Online classifieds as well as your local newspaper.

7. Targeted ezine advertising is one of the most cost effective ways to advertise your business.

8. Solo ads. Test, test, test. Your success depends on your ad and your heading!

9. Mail out postcards.

10. Purchase leads that are targeted and related to your business. If possible get their phone number and followup.

11. Bookmarks for libraries, do not forget to talk to your librarian first.

12. Purchase cheap seed packets, put a tag on them with your website as well as a saying like, I am in the business of helping people grow.

13. Use your knowledge and publish a newsletter or ezine. One your build up your list you can offer paid subscriptions or ads.

14. Word of mouth (friends and family).

15. Forwarded emails or replying back to unsolicited email. Add your testimony to your signature line.

16. Buttons.

17. Pens to hand out with a short advertisement and your URL.

18. Welcome baby cards for hospitals.

19. If your domain name is a string words, try capitalizing each. This helps people who just take a quick glance remember it.

20. Create an information type handout that briefly explains your business.

21. When you go to a garage or yard sale, ask if you can leave a few of your flyers there.

22. Community Colleges. Every student needs a part time job.

23. Put a business card in all outgoing mail including anything that has a postage paid envelope.

24. Visit establishments you do business with (doctor offices, health food stores, karate/dance studios, etc) and ask if you can leave flyers.

25. Car magnets. You can put magnets all over your car.

26. Promote your business for free in local magazines, newspapers, community newsletters, etc. Many rely on voluntary writing contributions.

Translate your knowledge into an article. It is free advertising and an effective way to establish yourself as an expert in your field.

27. Leave your business card in restrooms at restaurants or on cork boards around grocery stores.

28. Get a booth at school events and share what you offer.

29. Look into putting an ad in school sponsored publications (directories, PTA booklets, etc). Usually not to expensive.

30. Set up a free giveaway box in any store that will give you permission.

31. Post flyers at apartment complexes if they will allow it.

32. Place flyers under windshield wipers of cars.

33. Newspaper classified ads are cheap and effective. Ask about having your ad appear with a color background to make it stand out even more.

34. Buy a personalized stamp and put your ad on it. Stamp the back of any envelopes that you mail.

35. When it comes to advertising and marketing, repetition plays an important part in your campaigns success.

36. We all get junk mail with the postage paid envelopes. Just send a flyer back to the company and use their return envelope.

37. Personalized Tshirts.

38. Make up Gift basket raffles for Church bazaars, concerts held during summer, at your local community hall, or any town function. Do not forget to put your business card or some
other advertisement in the basket.

39. Put flyers on car windshields at your kids sporting events.

40. Leave a business card with your tip for your waiter/waitress.

41. Reply to spam email with your own business advertisement.

42. Give your business cards to friends and family and ask them to give them out to people they know who would be interested in part time income.

43. Put up flyers at the local colleges, libraries and grocery stores.

44. Ask your local chinese takeout if you can post a flyer in their window.

45. Create a post it stack of your business cards with a glue stick and then post them at pay phones.

46. Business cards with a magnetic back really stick in people's minds as well as on their refrigerator.

47. Leave business cards by the change machine in the mall arcade or at the ATM machine.

48. Put your website address on your sun visor using vinyl letters.

49. Find an old metal tin (or new), put a magnet on the back, put your business cards in them and then just attach this to your car when you go into a store.

50. Be different and get noticed. When you are unique then you are one step ahead of your competition.

Associate
My wife offers payroll services as a job from home. She could do with a few more jobs as a few companies have gone under recently.

A lot of her long standing clients came from her dad who was an accountant in practice with his own firm. He's no longer with us and i'm trying to think of the most effective options.

1. Cold Call/Leaflet drop to local business - This i imagine would go straight in the bin
2. Join the local Chamber of Commerce/Local Business groups and try and network
3. Ring round local accountants to see if they could pass on any referrals
4. Post on facebook groups for local businesses

Anyone have any extra suggestions or things they would suggest?

Cheers

not to hijack . but im considering doing the same as your wife and provide payroll services from home and go self employed (Eventually). Does she have any tips how to get started?

Man of Honour

Don't just leaflet drop - identify the kind of businesses that might do with her services and go in with a leaflet and also try an talk to someone in charge - especially if she already has one client in an area can talk about building up a client base in that area, etc.

Soldato
OP
not to hijack . but im considering doing the same as your wife and provide payroll services from home and go self employed (Eventually). Does she have any tips how to get started?

To be honest most of her clients came from her dad who was an accountant and passed bookkeeping/payroll work over. So she just started out that way. The advice above seems good for winning clients. I think a big thing is to focus on the main selling point which is the out of hours service. She'll get an email on a Saturday morning sometimes and can still turn it around quickly. Small firms like that along with the support she offers and you wouldn't get that from bigger payroll firms.

I would recommend Brightpay as a software package though if you do get clients. It's very easy to easy and pretty well priced compared to other packages.
https://www.brightpay.co.uk/

Associate
To be honest most of her clients came from her dad who was an accountant and passed bookkeeping/payroll work over. So she just started out that way. The advice above seems good for winning clients. I think a big thing is to focus on the main selling point which is the out of hours service. She'll get an email on a Saturday morning sometimes and can still turn it around quickly. Small firms like that along with the support she offers and you wouldn't get that from bigger payroll firms.

I would recommend Brightpay as a software package though if you do get clients. It's very easy to easy and pretty well priced compared to other packages.
https://www.brightpay.co.uk/
Appreciate your response and advice. i currently work in an accountants myself but having seen what is required I think i can achieve this on my own and from home ideally. I can see what you mean as a selling point. Thanks for the recommendation. I plan on doing some research this weekend into available software as i only decided the other week to look down this route. Hope work picks up for your wife !

Soldato
OP
Do your firm not offer payroll services? If so i'd make sure there's nothing in your contract to stop you offering the same services.

It's definately easy work, i'd say she brings in about £400 a month or so from her various jobs and i wouldn't say she does more that 2 hours work for that. Plus i'm an accountant so can help out if needed. Sadly i'm not in practice so can't get us referrals!

Oh an don't forget you'll need to register with the money laundering agency. Think it's £130 a year. Not sure if thats needed for payroll or just bookkeeping though.

Associate
Do your firm not offer payroll services? If so i'd make sure there's nothing in your contract to stop you offering the same services.

It's definately easy work, i'd say she brings in about £400 a month or so from her various jobs and i wouldn't say she does more that 2 hours work for that. Plus i'm an accountant so can help out if needed. Sadly i'm not in practice so can't get us referrals!

Oh an don't forget you'll need to register with the money laundering agency. Think it's £130 a year. Not sure if thats needed for payroll or just bookkeeping though.
They do and I'm the member in the payroll department. I will need to double check my handbook but nothing is stated in the actual contract. Didn't think about that but will need to double check if its required.

Associate
Not sure on what qualifications are must have but I have a payroll technician certificate and a level 3 diploma in payroll from cipp but I don't think you need any I would like to know about registrations though as I still plan to do this by the end of year .

Back
Top Bottom