Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Soldato
Herman Miller Aeron – your back will thank you, and the warranty is superb. It's my chair for the next couple decades.

Half people who try it hate it - because the base has sharp hard edges that dig into the legs. I also dislike mesh chairs they are very uncomfortable

Soldato
My Ikea Markus was starting to hurt my butt as the foam had compacted. I did have a cushion on it but that's compacted too (I'm 6' 3" and about 17st). I bought some 8cm thick stiff furniture foam and a staple gun. Removed the base cover and the foam, trimmed and fitted the new foam and it's like a new chair. Nice and comfortable again. All for £35 (£15 for the staple gun and £20 for the foam).

Soldato
Well, mates super awesome Noble chair that he paid £500 just collapsed, and he now is the proud owner of a broken wrist. Caster snapped at the base when he went sat in it, he fell sideways and landed on his side, luckily he wasn't injured further as he had a full pint glass of water which shattered everywhere on impact. Before any one calls him a fatty, he's 5' 10" and about 12 stone.

Needless to say he is now seeking a new chair, he was a bit sheepish when he told me as I said that he should have bought a proper office chair in the first place. :D

Soldato
Something very odd. Mine is over 3 years old, still like new, no wear anywhere and solid. Tried one of those magical Orangebox and it was horrible. Cases and cases, I guess.

Indeed it is just bad luck, I said as much, it seems the plastic/casting where the metal rod goes into it was obviously not as strong as it should have been, or maybe even had a hairline crack from new. Either way I feel bad for him, as he now needs a new chair, and is going to be struggling to WFH with only one useful hand for a good while.

Soldato
Gaming chairs are overpriced utter garbage.
I truely wish I'd gone for the Herman Miller Aeron (I now own) rather than the (same as every other gaming chair, but with a fancy cover) complete trash Secretlab.
Yes, a decent office chair may be considerably more expensive, but it'll last forever and your posture will thank you for it.

Don
Indeed it is just bad luck, I said as much, it seems the plastic/casting where the metal rod goes into it was obviously not as strong as it should have been, or maybe even had a hairline crack from new. Either way I feel bad for him, as he now needs a new chair, and is going to be struggling to WFH with only one useful hand for a good while.
Give @fiveub a shout he may be able to help with replacement parts?

Soldato
I've had back problems in the past from an injury, and when I became one of the many home workers during lockdown I gritted my teeth and splashed out on a Herman Miller Mirra 2.i have to say I don't regret a single penny and I'd do it all again. I'm firmly in the camp that doesn't buy into sticking "gaming" in front of everything and marketing it as premium - chairs need to be solid, comfy for you, and something that actually looks after your back. Always going to be an office chair for me!

Associate
My Ikea Markus was starting to hurt my butt as the foam had compacted. I did have a cushion on it but that's compacted too (I'm 6' 3" and about 17st). I bought some 8cm thick stiff furniture foam and a staple gun. Removed the base cover and the foam, trimmed and fitted the new foam and it's like a new chair. Nice and comfortable again. All for £35 (£15 for the staple gun and £20 for the foam).
Why didn't i think of this on my ikea jarvfjallet :rolleyes: just wish they would bring out a version of these chairs with a mesh seat. really do like IKEA's stiff backrest tilt tension

now an owner of an M7 chair not really a fan prefers the old jarvfjallet

Soldato
I really like my secret lab titan evo 2022.
You go have to take the time adjust it properly though.
Took me a few months to get it 'dialled in' just right through trial and error.
My weight is just on the cusp of regular and XL so I went for the XL.. (6'3 and 16 stone) which is rated for a 180kg load.. So hopefully won't be looking at collapsing pistons etc lol.

The cushioning seems hard but supportive.. I'd rather have hard foam so it doesn't sink over time.

Soldato
My steelcase gesture is still in the same condition it turned up in and still just as supportive and comfortable, and keeps my back in fantastic shape.

My Leap is the same and in the same condition as it turned up in i.e. tatty it must have been the cheapest one out there lol. But its still intact and functional and seemingly indestructible and I've had it for years.

Soldato
My Leap is the same and in the same condition as it turned up in i.e. tatty it must have been the cheapest one out there lol. But its still intact and functional and seemingly indestructible and I've had it for years.

Same. I’ve been looking around and decided rather than paying the new post-Covid prices for chairs I’m going to get my Leap v2 reupholstered and given a new lease of life (famous last words, but it’ll increase the resale value if I do change my mind).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd say office chair every time. Don't be afraid of second hand quality chairs. I bought an Ergohuman Plus from an office supply company for £195, great chair, very heavy! Lots of adjustment and importantly spares are available for the more expensive chairs. I cleaned mine up with a Vax spot cleaner and it's not quite like new but very good for the money.

Associate
I'd say office chair every time. Don't be afraid of second hand quality chairs. I bought an Ergohuman Plus from an office supply company for £195, great chair, very heavy! Lots of adjustment and importantly spares are available for the more expensive chairs. I cleaned mine up with a Vax spot cleaner and it's not quite like new but very good for the money.
To be honest I bought an ergonomic mesh chair in 2014 for 150 pounds and it has done really well for me all these years, definitely worth the money but if I was to buy one now I would perhaps spend a bit more to see if there is a bump up in quality.

Back
Top Bottom