*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Caporegime
I don't really BBQ but I have offered to take some marinated chicken thighs/legs/breasts to one on Saturday. I was thinking I would cook it in the oven beforehand, then transport to the BBQ 30 minutes away before erm...BBQing.

Presume the safer option is to cook the chicken fully in the oven? I don't want to risk BBQ only, especially when it's not my party, but keen to try something other than just burgers/sausages.

If you are taking a huge quantity then absolutely cook it completely at home (could be oven, or done on a BBQ and properly cooked). Then at the event you re-heat. This is what happens at most catered BBQ places.

If you are only cooking for say z dozen people then take the meat uncooked but carry along a meat thermometer and don't remove stuff from the grill until it is cooked through and 170F or more.

For chicken breast it really helps to cut them into thin escalopes that a cooked quickly at high heat and removed promptly, that way you should get moist and tatsy chicken. The problem with a whole breast is its very hard to cook the middle, takes agaes and the outside will totally dry out before the inside is cooked. Similarly, chicken thighs are cooked easier with the bones removed. The bones conduct heat away form the center so they take longer to cook. Remove the bones and use to make a stock.

Man of Honour
You could buy a weber q for that sort of money. They are great - I have one in my holiday home but the big limitation is you can not cook indirect as they have only one burner. I would find that limiting if it was only option. I would personally want three burners for the versatility. If you're not fussed doing larger pieces of meat etc. and only want to do simple grilling that would be fine and they are well built.

That budget won't stretch to a weber spirit. Have a look here: http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/browse/3-burner-gas-bbq.asp You may have to add a little but not a lot more. I don't know much about broil king, outback etc. I'm not sure on longevity. One of my colleagues was moaning about their outback rotting over a few years. Weber do go and go.

Soldato
You could buy a weber q for that sort of money. They are great - I have one in my holiday home but the big limitation is you can not cook indirect as they have only one burner. I would find that limiting if it was only option. I would personally want three burners for the versatility. If you're not fussed doing larger pieces of meat etc. and only want to do simple grilling that would be fine and they are well built.

That budget won't stretch to a weber spirit. Have a look here: http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/browse/3-burner-gas-bbq.asp You may have to add a little but not a lot more. I don't know much about broil king, outback etc. I'm not sure on longevity. One of my colleagues was moaning about their outback rotting over a few years. Weber do go and go.

Thank you, looking for something that will be worth the money and fairly sturdy.

Otherwise, the 4 burner for £150 at Argos will do the job!

I'd love the Weber Genesis II, but I couldn't justify it or afford it :(

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are taking a huge quantity then absolutely cook it completely at home (could be oven, or done on a BBQ and properly cooked). Then at the event you re-heat. This is what happens at most catered BBQ places.

If you are only cooking for say z dozen people then take the meat uncooked but carry along a meat thermometer and don't remove stuff from the grill until it is cooked through and 170F or more.

For chicken breast it really helps to cut them into thin escalopes that a cooked quickly at high heat and removed promptly, that way you should get moist and tatsy chicken. The problem with a whole breast is its very hard to cook the middle, takes agaes and the outside will totally dry out before the inside is cooked. Similarly, chicken thighs are cooked easier with the bones removed. The bones conduct heat away form the center so they take longer to cook. Remove the bones and use to make a stock.

Cheers mate; good tips.

Soldato
BBQ tonight on the Weber Performer, just me and the missus :)

Rack of ribs
Peri peri chicken pieces (saw a great deal in Morrisons - a metric ton of assorted pieces in a thick spicy coating from the Halal section)
6x quality pork sausages (jerk flavour)
4x turkey burgers
6x quality chicken sausages (for the missus)
Cheesy round rolls
Hotdog rolls
2x garlic bread baquettes
20x beers
Jager bombs
Token salad

That's leftovers for the weekend sorted.

B&Q have an offer on their 7kg bags of lumpwood charcoal 2 for £10 - not the longest lasting coals but not bad a deal compared to the restaurant grade lumpwood I normally get from www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Picked up some beef clod (poor man's but actually better imo brisket) and a giant piece of pork belly that I'm going to turn into pork belly burnt ends. The thunderstorms tomorrow should make it an interesting cook...

Associate
First cook of the year today!
Got a 1.6KG leg of lamb on my weber kettle at the moment,
fairly simple with rosemary, oregano and garlic stuffed into small incisions, then marinade overnight in red wine and lemon juice.
Gave it a rub down with salt and pepper before a quick smoke with some cherry while searing on direct heat.

It's currently cooking away indirect, looking for an internal temperature of 60 - 65

Update:
About an hour left I reckon,
just flipped it over and put some squash on to roast, looks awesome!

Last edited:
Soldato

Just had a look at the 3 burner Weber Spirit in John-Lewis, I must say - very impressive, felt a great build compared to the others. I have some relatives that work in store, time to work the magic and potentially line up 25% off (assume it's 25% as non-electrical).

If I manage to get that, it might make the conversation with the other half, a LITTLE easier :)

Back
Top Bottom