*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Man of Honour
what would you say a re the benefits of charcoal over gas then? Or just personal preference?

Only reason I brought it up is that I've used briquettes again a couple of times recently (used to use them in the past) because I ran out of lumpwood and it reminded me of the "debates" on here previously, and why I stopped using it. I usually use gas most of the time and then lumpwood if I'm not using gas (usually on a portable BBQ).

The main reasons I moved away from briquettes is because of the smoke and smell when getting them going and the random "things" I've found included in some (string and wire for example).

Personal preference is the main thing though I also don't want to invest in something that is more awkward to store (in my situation). I do use an electric smoker for long smokes though so I'm far from a purist. For stuff on my kettle BBQ I'll just use whatever I happen to pick up, be that charcoal or lumpwood.

You definitely shouldn't be finding random 'things' in your charcoal :s I've heard lots of horror stories about cheap charcoal but not so much higher quality stuff.

One other thing about gas is that the initial outlay for a half-decent BBQ tends to be a little higher than one you can use charcoal/lumpwood on. I'm not saying that is a huge negative but it's a slight barrier to entry.

Caporegime
See my edit as it makes a good reply to that last post too. :)

You shouldn't find stuff, but you do unfortunately, even in good stuff. :/

The other issue is you need two bbqs, unless you get a dual setup.

Edit: and to add to the last post perhaps that's one of the reasons I prefer lumpwood (over and above the smell). If I'm bbq without gas I'm going to do it "properly", in which case no man made substances included. :p

Man of Honour
Can't say I have issues with the smell either to be honest :)

I think it's fair to say that we're both in agreement that gas, coal and lumpwood can all be used to achieve good results. For me it's a personal preference and the simple fact that I already have a kettle for coal/lumpwood and my pellet smoker for larger/longer smokes. Getting gas too would be excessive :p I wouldn't tell someone to avoid gas "just because" though.

Soldato
The main reasons I moved away from briquettes is because of the smoke and smell when getting them going and the random "things" I've found included in some (string and wire for example).

You should give heat beads a try, there's no smoke or odour (well maybe a cery slightly ozony sort of hint) from those while lighting them, they burn really cleanly and with good vent control burn for a really long time!

An example from a pulled pork I did a couple of weeks ago using a cheap and cheerful kettle bbq I picked up for £10 from gumtree. The pork was on for 6-7 hours, I then shut down the vents...

Snake at the start, to this I added about 10 lit heat beads (the speckled briquettes were ones left over from a previous smoke in my callow smoker)

Start.jpg

What was left over after about 6-7 hours at a steady 110C followed by closing all the vents down:

end.jpg

Soldato
See my edit as it makes a good reply to that last post too. :)

You shouldn't find stuff, but you do unfortunately, even in good stuff. :/

The other issue is you need two bbqs, unless you get a dual setup.

Edit: and to add to the last post perhaps that's one of the reasons I prefer lumpwood (over and above the smell). If I'm bbq without gas I'm going to do it "properly", in which case no man made substances included. :p

Are you buying actual wood or lumpwood charcoal?

Caporegime
Are you buying actual wood or lumpwood charcoal?

I was talking about lumpwood charcoal above, but i also cook on fire pits with wood sometimes as well, depending on what we're doing and whether we have time to get some nice coals. Why?

The end result is virtually no different with all the ways, just the method.

Soldato
I was talking about lumpwood charcoal above, but i also cook on fire pits with wood sometimes as well, depending on what we're doing and whether we have time to get some nice coals. Why?

The end result is virtually no different with all the ways, just the method.

So you're cooking with charcoal that is man made and could have anything in it and complaining about briquettes that are still made from wood, are man made and have better quality control on what wood goes in it (be it sawdust or not)

Lumpwood charcoal is not trunks and branches put in a charcoal cooker and therefore the best. It can and generally is off cuts and scrap wood and plenty of people find screws/metal etc in them as they do with briquettes but more concerning is the general theory that there is plenty of wood in the chain that has some sort of chemical treatment applied before it becomes the waste product them made into lump wood charcoal.

My point being that you knocked briquettes comparing them to gas with lump charcoal being the best when the reality is that none of them are some premium form of doing it and none rubbish, personally I don't like gas as much but have a gas bbq, I use lump wood charcoal for quick cooks and briquettes for long cooks and all three methods are viable and produce great results.

Gas is bottom for me as you get no smoke,the least pleasant aroma and flavouring unless you add chips etc - don't take that as meaning I'm a snob who doesnt rate/use gas as I do but its my least favourite!

Soldato
Ah the good ol' BBQ fuel can of worms. Fully opened.

I go with briquettes for 3 main reasons:
  1. Easy to stack for snake method
  2. More predictable burn time
  3. Always hearing people complain about half of the bag of lumpwood being unusable gravel sized pieces that just fall through the grate.

Caporegime
So you're cooking with charcoal that is man made and could have anything in it and complaining about briquettes that are still made from wood, are man made and have better quality control on what wood goes in it (be it sawdust or not)

Lumpwood charcoal is not trunks and branches put in a charcoal cooker and therefore the best. It can and generally is off cuts and scrap wood and plenty of people find screws/metal etc in them as they do with briquettes but more concerning is the general theory that there is plenty of wood in the chain that has some sort of chemical treatment applied before it becomes the waste product them made into lump wood charcoal.

My point being that you knocked briquettes comparing them to gas with lump charcoal being the best when the reality is that none of them are some premium form of doing it and none rubbish, personally I don't like gas as much but have a gas bbq, I use lump wood charcoal for quick cooks and briquettes for long cooks and all three methods are viable and produce great results.

Gas is bottom for me as you get no smoke,the least pleasant aroma and flavouring unless you add chips etc - don't take that as meaning I'm a snob who doesnt rate/use gas as I do but its my least favourite!

Your argument was obvious a mile off. It's pretty irrelevant however as it's a personal preference and experience. I have found "stuff" in briquettes, whereas the worst I've found in lumpwood is a few stones. I also don't like the smoke/fumes given off from briquettes when first lit. What is correct however is lumpwood is the most natural of the two - one is a composite of wax, boron, coal and sawdust (+ other additives - which is why it smokes so much before it's fully going) and the other is (should) be wood that's been carbonized.

And as for your last comment, it's been pointed out time and again that the flavour comes from wood lumps and the juice from the meat itself. Cooking with lumpwood, briquettes (which can have the same issue with treated wood as lumpwood) or gas provided little to no difference in flavour. Real wood on the other hand can do, but only if you're cooking over the burning wood rather than just the created coals.

Anyway as I said general preference, I wasn't aiming to start a debate, just making an observation.

My preference is gas for daily cooking, just as gas is my preference for the indoor hob, then lumpwood or wood depending on what it's associated with and where I am. Briquettes I will use, as with the pig, but they are generally at the bottom of the list as gas does just the same job with less effort in keeping the temperature correct and briquettes don't provide any additional benefit (as previously mentioned it's the smoke form wood chips and the meat itself that gives the flavour).

Soldato
Your argument was obvious a mile off. It's pretty irrelevant however as it's a personal preference and experience. I have found "stuff" in briquettes, whereas the worst I've found in lumpwood is a few stones. I also don't like the smoke/fumes given off from briquettes when first lit. What is correct however is lumpwood is the most natural of the two - one is a composite of wax, boron, coal and sawdust (+ other additives - which is why it smokes so much before it's fully going) and the other is (should) be wood that's been carbonized.

And as for your last comment, it's been pointed out time and again that the flavour comes from wood lumps and the juice from the meat itself. Cooking with lumpwood, briquettes (which can have the same issue with treated wood as lumpwood) or gas provided little to no difference in flavour. Real wood on the other hand can do, but only if you're cooking over the burning wood rather than just the created coals.

Anyway as I said general preference, I wasn't aiming to start a debate, just making an observation.

My preference is gas for daily cooking, just as gas is my preference for the indoor hob, then lumpwood or wood depending on what it's associated with and where I am. Briquettes I will use, as with the pig, but they are generally at the bottom of the list as gas does just the same job with less effort in keeping the temperature correct and briquettes don't provide any additional benefit (as previously mentioned it's the smoke form wood chips and the meat itself that gives the flavour).

The problem being that any decent briquette isn't made of all the rubbish you are saying, they all have binders of course but are natural - Weber for instance use only untreated hardwood and natural binders so can categorically claim to be more 'natural' than most lump wood charcoal that don't have the same claim of only using untreated wood and check your brands as very few do as its all off cuts from timber yards. I don't particularly favour Weber as a brand but its an easy example to back up an argument, heat beads are the same and many of the premium and even cheaper brands offer similar claims.

My 'issue' is you are posting as factual when its not, for example 'briquettes don't provide any additional benefit' when that is categorically not true and backed up by science - not me or some rant on a forum but the science of how both burn and the gases given off - seriously look into it don't believe me or some perceived wisdom spouted on forums as its so easy to prove.

I use gas in the house on a hob, I use a gas bbq so I'm not die hard anti gas person trying to knock it but I do get annoyed when people continue to spread myths - I was just as bad when people said you had to refill gas in Plasma screens and that led to a world full of rubbish LCD tellies we live in now ;)

Soldato
Ah the good ol' BBQ fuel can of worms. Fully opened.

I go with briquettes for 3 main reasons:
  1. Easy to stack for snake method
  2. More predictable burn time
  3. Always hearing people complain about half of the bag of lumpwood being unusable gravel sized pieces that just fall through the grate.

Amen!!

On the final point, I was at a meat smoking weekend last weekend and one of the guys was using premium lumpwood, some of the pieces were massive, nothing like the supermarket rubbish, some were almost football sized, he got immense burn times with it in his UDS!!

Soldato
Amen!!

On the final point, I was at a meat smoking weekend last weekend and one of the guys was using premium lumpwood, some of the pieces were massive, nothing like the supermarket rubbish, some were almost football sized, he got immense burn times with it in his UDS!!
Wow, tricky to get those larger pieces lit? Again, that sounds cool but - call me boring - surely it helps to keep as many variables locked down as possible when trying to achieve steady temps and consistent burn times.

Soldato
He didn't have a problem lighting it, just stuck some of the smaller pieces in a starter chimney and dumped them on top of the bigger pieces in the fire basket of his drum smoker and let it burn through in a minion. As for the temperature, he was using a Qmaster unit to keep it exactly where he wanted.

Soldato
Boom - order placed!

• Weber Master-Touch® GBS® 57cm Black and FREE 8834 Sear Grate
  • Weber Lighter Cubes (Firelighters)
  • Weber Briquette 8Kg
  • Weber Wood Chips Hickory 0.7Kg
  • Weber Chimney Starter Set
  • Weber Poultry Roaster
  • Weber Premium Barbecue Cover
Time to get cooking when it all arrives!!

Permabanned
Boom - order placed!

• Weber Master-Touch® GBS® 57cm Black and FREE 8834 Sear Grate
  • Weber Lighter Cubes (Firelighters)
  • Weber Briquette 8Kg
  • Weber Wood Chips Hickory 0.7Kg
  • Weber Chimney Starter Set
  • Weber Poultry Roaster
  • Weber Premium Barbecue Cover
Time to get cooking when it all arrives!!

Don't forget a grill brush and meat thermometer!

Any reason you did not go with some Weber Lump Charcoal?

Caporegime
What's the concensus on firelighters blocks vs. lighter fluid as a bbq lighter?

I've mainly used blocks, but I'm on hol and the house has loads of lighter fluid, so I've tried that and it has the advantage of lighting all coals at once. Down side seems to be that the fluid burns off quicker than the blocks burn, though I'm not sure that matters if everything is already lit?

I used a chimney to light if that's relevant. Sorry if this has already been discussed loads!

Basically I'm thinking of converting to fluid.

Back
Top Bottom