*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
So Ive had the smoker on for a couple of hours but Im struggling to hit 110C, its currently sitting at 103C. Ive tried altering the vents but cant get the temp any higher. Top vent is almost fully open and the bottom ones are about 2/3 open. This combination got me to 103/4C. Could it just be the outside temperature is so low today? Its currently 1C out there and not much wind at all.

Meat temperature is at 40C and rising.

Associate
So Ive had the smoker on for a couple of hours but Im struggling to hit 110C, its currently sitting at 103C. Ive tried altering the vents but cant get the temp any higher. Top vent is almost fully open and the bottom ones are about 2/3 open. This combination got me to 103/4C. Could it just be the outside temperature is so low today? Its currently 1C out there and not much wind at all.

Meat temperature is at 40C and rising.

Outside temperature has very little effect on a bbq, it’s wind that can make it very difficult to maintain a consistent temperature.
Always keep your top vent wide open and open your bottom vents until you’re a few degrees short of your target.

Also, if you have a water bowl in your smoker then don’t fill it with water. Fill it with sand and double foil over the top. Water is always fighting you to bring the temperature down.

Soldato
Well I've not had my new WSM very long and already have mods ordered for it. I've got a hinge for the lid as that will be really handy and also a gasket kit as the door is a bit leaky. Considering how well made everything else is on it, I'm surprised at how flimsy the door is. I did consider a Cajun Bandit door for it, but the price was ridiculous with import duty!

I did another smoke with some brisket and short ribs and it really is fire and forget. It just naturally settles at around 110C then I don't have to touch it. The results are so much better than my kettle!

Soldato
I got the Callow smoker for Christmas, assembled it the other week but been away lots recently and abroad again this weekend so will have to wait for next weekend for my first cook.

Valve I was about to recommend the same post to Mark M, I see you've posted in that thread too. Wade is like a product ambassador for them, such detailed reviews!

You recommended foiling the water tray, why is that? And if sand is better than water, what's the actual function of the sand? Just to catch juices I guess? I always thought the water helped gently steam the meat a little to keep it moist, but perhaps that's not really a thing?

Man of Honour
I got the Callow smoker for Christmas, assembled it the other week but been away lots recently and abroad again this weekend so will have to wait for next weekend for my first cook.

Valve I was about to recommend the same post to Mark M, I see you've posted in that thread too. Wade is like a product ambassador for them, such detailed reviews!

You recommended foiling the water tray, why is that? And if sand is better than water, what's the actual function of the sand? Just to catch juices I guess? I always thought the water helped gently steam the meat a little to keep it moist, but perhaps that's not really a thing?

The sand basically acts as a thermal regulator in a similar way to the way water would but due to the lack of evaporation does not limit your cooking temperature to ~100C, does not require top-ups and will reduce fuel usage (as normally you'll almost certainly be burning too much to "fight" the effects of the evaporation).

Soldato

Wade is a friend of mine and absolutely loves his smoking (he has so many bbqs it's frankly bonkers, and has set up his own commercial smoker now) and is very keen to get others involved in it and spreading the word. I did a 2 day course with him a couple of years ago and was completely won over by it all - I now have 5 bbqs myself...lol

My recommendation of foiling the water pan is quite simple really, once the water has boiled dry, you'll inevitably end up with juices dripping into the water pan which being right above the direct heat will burn onto the pan and be a right pain to get off! lol

As has been said, the water acts as a temperature buffer to smooth out any spikes of heat from say wood chips catching fire etc so your smoker temperatures stay more consistent. As has also been said, a lot of people use sand in place of the water, especially when wanting higher temperatures.

Soldato
I'm thinking of doing my first over night smoke next week. As I've been busy at the weekends recently and I'm away for the next few too, I'm having BBQ withdrawal!

Soldato
I'm thinking of doing my first over night smoke next week. As I've been busy at the weekends recently and I'm away for the next few too, I'm having BBQ withdrawal!

Nice! I haven't built up the courage to try one yet. I am going to be getting a fan controller setup soon which should make life a lot easier.

Time for a 2018 thread perhaps? :p

Soldato
I was tempted to get a fan controller but I think I'll give it a go without first. I'm going try it Friday night as a test, at least that way if I have to get up in the night it's Saturday the next day so doesn't matter if I'm tired. I've just ordered a lamb shoulder and pork butt to stick on. :D

Soldato
I know that the forum exists, but it is extremely light on content compared to the FB group. A sign of the times I guess :(

Possibly, though the forum has only been online since the end of August. I'm sure it'll start to fill up a bit when the bbq season kicks off (is it ever off-season?) and more people spread the word.

Soldato
So it begins..

APex5Cwl.jpg

Fingers crossed the forecast rain holds off in the morning, but I have stuck the smoker in a fairly sheltered location so it should be OK! With the gasket kit installed there is zero leakage now too.

Soldato
It ended up needing about 15 hours to get up to temp as I didn't bother wrapping it but I'm really impressed with how it turned out. I got a much better bark by not wrapping it so might do it this way from now on, especially if I do it over night so time isn't a problem.

The WSM is a beast at holding temperature. I got the meat on at 10pm, went to bed at 1am and it was reading 114C, woke up this morning at 7am and it was still reading 114C. The temps started going up at about 10am but that was because the water pan had dried out. I topped that back up and it came down and stabilised. The rain didn't affect it too much either. It was raining from about 5am so when I got up, I rigged up a ghetto cover using a tarp, wheelbarrow and old radiator to stop too much water getting in.

Back
Top Bottom