*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Associate
Hi @thewanted

Was wondering how the Weber summit is going and if you have got a fan controller for it yet?
Any other standout cooks or has it had a break over winter?
Its getting to the stage now that finally the garden is getting there so I will be getting one for start of April and might need to order a fan controller first (if they need to come from the states).

Thanks,

Soldato
Hi @thewanted

Was wondering how the Weber summit is going and if you have got a fan controller for it yet?
Any other standout cooks or has it had a break over winter?
Its getting to the stage now that finally the garden is getting there so I will be getting one for start of April and might need to order a fan controller first (if they need to come from the states).

Thanks,

Hey @oneilldo

The fan controller situation for the Summit is complicated. After doing a lot of research, you essentially only have two options and they aren't that different from each other:

1) Buy one of the many different models available from BBQ Guru. The difficulty with this is that you cannot buy from the US site, and their EU site has been down for months.

2) Buy the small Weber adapter and medium Pit Viper fan from BBQ Guru and then buy either the Flame Boss 300 or the FireBoard.

The only fan that will fit the Summit is the Pit Viper from BBQ Guru unless you're prepared to drill the hole in the Summit to 1" to make the Flame Boss fan fit.

I am personally going with option 2 and the FireBoard Extreme. I'm in the process of arranging for someone to bring all of the components over from the US for me since I cannot buy from BBQ Guru US directly.

I've cooked loads of stuff since I've had the Summit. I use it about twice a week at the moment, and I'm sure it'll get a lot more use when the days are longer.

On Saturday I cooked 3kg of beef short ribs which came out awesome, but took a damn long time to cook! I started off at 225F which is too low and then had to ramp it up to 275F for the last 4.5 hours. The Summit held 225F for the first 4.5 hours very well, but in the last few hours of the cook I did have to tend to the vents a bit too often for my liking. This is why I'm going to spend a fortune on a fan controller, although I have also been looking at a pellet smoker :eek:

sNbbNxf.jpg

8ZY2edM.jpg

KUIWpj5.jpg

AQmhacW.jpg

Associate
Thanks thewanted that beef looks spectacular.

I’ll go with the pit viper fan rather than drilling additional holes. I’ll check out the controllers linked as well cheers for the help.

Thanks

Man of Honour
I really like the pellet smoker I've used even though it's far from the best model out there. I still feel that there needs to be a bit of a revolution with BBQs though. I don't really get why there isn't what is essentially a decent outdoors fan assisted oven with an inbuilt smoke generator.

Soldato
I brined some really thick pork loin chops from Costco today for the first time (link) before doing a reverse sear on the BBQ.

OMG, what a huge difference to the taste! Seriously, try it at least once.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Now that you mention it I have some brisket I brined for 2 days sitting in the fridge now.

Sadly wind has put an end to my smoking attempt and it will be slow cooked in the oven instead! :mad:

Soldato
I've got a pork butt and a couple short ribs on the WSM today. Braving the snow showers and wind. The snow is coming down quite heavily now and I've had to build a makeshift wind break but things seem to be trundling along nicely. I really need to build some sort of shelter for next winter..

Grcd5Cfh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

Pork got pulled.

29366010_1017178548420647_3511347401578959643_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom