*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Finally got round to getting a Weber, had been keeping an eye on ebay, gumtree for a while and one popped up yesterday. Master Touch for £68, in generally good condition, just needs a clean up and fixing a wheel back on. Hopefully the weather isn't bad Sunday so I can get out and give it a go!

Soldato
:eek:

Ahh :D

I'll go with Venison, Trinidad Scorpion and onion burger with tomato slices and lettuce.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd actually go and use my garden and BBQ if it wasn't filled with utter trash that my mum has dumped everywhere. Not actual rubbish mind but gardening stuff - compost and the like. Nowhere to sit and enjoy the sun! :(

Soldato
BBQ'd 5 week aged cote de beauf with chimichurri, salad, garlic mushrooms and fries yesterday, was delicious. Seared the beef for ~ 1 min each side then indirect cook until >50c core. Chimichurri recipe from serious eats (but I add about twice as much chili flakes and some chipolte flakes to for a smoky flavour).

Soldato
Managed to BBQ twice last week. Nothing as exciting as large joints of meat but did some lovely rib eye steaks on Thursday and lamb chops yesterday. Chicken wings with franks hot sauce both days too... which means leftovers for lunch today!

Got to get my meat thermometer out so I can try some proper indirect heat cooking/ hot smoking on my Weber.

Soldato
After a glorious day on Saturday I woke up to find it tipping it down on Sunday. Luckily it cleared up enough at around 10am for me to get the BBQ going and it only showered off and on all day from then.

I did a couple short ribs and a chunk of brisket. I had to resort to using B&Q briquettes as well as I'd ran out of Heat Beads but I was actually quite impressed with them. They lit easily, two 3kg bags kept the BBQ going for 12 hours and they only cost £4 in total, bargain!

9UhxcyDl.jpg

Soldato
First attempt at brisket this weekend, followed the Serious Eats recipe so a 3 day Sous Vide at 57c, then 3 or so hours on the bbq. Only got my Weber a few weeks ago so struggled at first to get the temp just right, but after abouit 30 mins I got it sorted. Came out rather well for a first attempt.

Sous Vided

uOirTNe.jpg

During

LV1pnBt.jpg

After

dGQYyGl.jpg

Soldato
Spent a week away with the in-laws to celebrate Father in law's retirement, in France. We discovered this rickety BBQ outside the back of the villa we were staying in so I thought I'd give it a go. It was full of leaves and looking pretty worse for wear on arrival, but some elbow grease, a scouring pad and a lot of hot soapy water later it looked good to go.

We got two massive cuts of meat from the local supermarket labelled 'Entrecote'. The butcher didn't speak much English, we said "Bar Be Cue" in the slowest most condescending voice possible, and this is what he pointed to.

Excuse the peppercorns, I spilled the jar and couldn't be bothered to pick every single one off.
ubHcog3.jpg

Took a decent bit of cooking time, no thermometers or anything so all by instinct.
UnSgeV8.jpg

This was one of the nicest bits, the knives in the place were awful but just about managed to carve this nicely
PcB2euH.jpg

Mmmmm meaty
4mohSYJ.jpg

Accompanied by an excellent Belgian beer, dirt cheap over there
jkqZoEG.jpg

Soldato
Those steaks look tasty!

That marbling! :eek: Did you order them online?

PS. Should we get the "2017" removed from the thread's title? Seems a bit redundant.

Yeh, they were the Galician ribeyes from Turner and George, they tasted fantastic! One of the nicest steaks I've ever eaten. I've never justified spending that much on a steak outside of a restaurant before but those were worth it.

Didn't even realise this was still the 2017 thread! :D

Soldato
Yeh, they were the Galician ribeyes from Turner and George, they tasted fantastic! One of the nicest steaks I've ever eaten. I've never justified spending that much on a steak outside of a restaurant before but those were worth it.

Didn't even realise this was still the 2017 thread! :D

Oh man, I've been wanting to try those Galician cuts from T&G for ages. I think your photo has convinced me to order some :)

I'm testing the FireBoard out today with the Drive cable and BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan - https://share.fireboard.io/F64D45

Back
Top Bottom