*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Psymonkee;30484688 said:
I'd aim for 225 - 250F for the grill!

Internal for pulling at least everyone bangs on about 203F but honestly each cut is different so it's done when it's done is more the way. Stick a fork in it and see how easy it is to wiggle about.

Snake method is the best - very easy to do as well! What charcoal are you using and do you have a chimney? :)

Would you say 225-250F for both pork and brisket?

I will have to try the snake method then, I thought the 2 zone method might be easier as I get worried about the snake not "catching on" as it were.

At the moment, nope, no charocal bought yet. Any recommendations for a place online? and also no, no chimney starter but that is on my list to buy over the next week or so! Other than that I just need some hickory or such wood for smoking with!

Soldato
OP
I've only used Big K briquettes (awful) and Aussie Heat Beads which were awesome! Don't worry about it not catching - if you set it up right out should run for 12 hours no worries!

At least 2 wide, at least 3 high and dump*5 - 10 hot coals at one end - easy! :D I got mine from BBQ world iirc.

Soldato
Took heed of your advice and whacked an order in for the following on BBQ World earlier......

1 x Weber® Rapidfire™ Chimney Starter
1 x Weber® Lighter Cubes - White
1 x Weber® Hickory Wood Chips
4 x 4KG Australian Heat Beads
1 x Heat Beads Refillable Gas Lighter

Just need some meat, some time and a fair day! Looking forward to testing :D

Soldato
OP
R.O.S.S.I;30487554 said:
Took heed of your advice and whacked an order in for the following on BBQ World earlier......

\o/ Enjoy!

Look up a few guides on how to setup the snake and I'll see if I remembered to take any photos the last time I did mine to give you something to aim for! :)

Associate
I purchased a Webber last year when our local B&Q was closing down for £57 with a starter kit. Never got chance to use it though (got married in the summer, so super busy) so hoping to crack it out asap, will be keeping an eye on this thread for tips etc. Any charcoal type recommend other others, or they all the same?

Man of Honour
Proc;30490369 said:
I purchased a Webber last year when our local B&Q was closing down for £57 with a starter kit. Never got chance to use it though (got married in the summer, so super busy) so hoping to crack it out asap, will be keeping an eye on this thread for tips etc. Any charcoal type recommend other others, or they all the same?

Use briquettes rather than charcoal. I personally like webers.

Soldato
R.O.S.S.I;30487554 said:

You will get great results with the heatbeads, I really like them but they are expensive so I use them or Weber briquettes for longer cooks! You will need to use a snake for long cook, 2 zone is generally more for cooks that are 2-4 hours long and at higher temps.

Only pic I can find of heatbeads snake but as I recall this was a good 8 hours..

IMG_2514.jpg

I did my first longer cook on some pork belly - not snake as it docent need that long but its good to practice with as you can't really go wrong - you will end up with the best pork belly ever with incredible cracking with hardly any effort!!

Soldato
Going to go this method for the brisket I ultimately end up doing. Going to try it for a pork shoulder too at some point. Was hoping this weekend I might be able to trial it but weather isn't looking up to much.

Soldato
Mate came through for me today. Was in his local Co-op which is changing hands and they were getting rid of loads of the stuff for dirt cheap. He knew i'd just bought a Weber and spy'd these smoking chips and firelights for 10p each - bargain! Should go well with the hickory i've got!
NOqqPNY.jpg

Man of Honour
Nice :)

Sorry if you already know this but if you're using chips when smoking I'd suggest putting a handful of them in a 'bag' made out of foil. Pierce a couple of holes in it and place on/by the coals. It'll stop the chips all burning up super quickly.

Soldato
Had read about that method before so will be using it but thanks for the re-headsup! I know you can throw on large chunks o wood as is but these smaller ones will just get incinerated in no time. Probably chuck a couple of "bags" on so it gets a few hours smoke. I believe anything after a few hours smoke is pointless anyway as it isn't absorbed.

Got a pork shoulder clinged up in the fridge with the dry rub on doing its thing.

Soldato
Going to get mine out this week, have a porkside event on the weekend so the guys are nagging me to "do the food"

Not sure what my stocks of wood chips / chunks are like, where are people getting them at the moment, needed for Friday.

Soldato
Has anyone ever used or own a stone bbq like this? Im considering getting one and having it as a bit of a feature on the packing and plant a few shrubs around it so it blends in a little. I have a Weber kettle that I will be keeping but it was more as something a little different really?

Back
Top Bottom