*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Where do you all get your big bits of meat (shoulders, ribs, brisket, etc) from? My dad's just looking at getting a decent grill but said he didn't know where to get big bits of meat as he'd never seen any anywhere. Do you have to special order it from the local butchers or do supermarkets stock it?

Man of Honour
A good butchers is obviously going to give you the best results but you can get a lot of larger cuts of meat from supermarkets if you ask on the butcher counter. Slabs of ribs, whole briskets, pork shoulders, etc I've managed to get from my local Tesco. Actually, for a beginner I'd recommend going for "beef clod" rather than brisket. It's essentially beef shoulder and is often sold as 'stewing steak'. Ask the butcher if they've got a hunk of it in the fridge behind the counter. Treat it like brisket in terms of cooking...however, it has a lot more connective tissues and fat that'll break down and keep it super moist during the course of low and slow cooking.

Caporegime
I'd definitely get one if I had the space and most importantly, weather for them. Sadly Manchester weather is rubbish enough that BBQs are more rare than they should be.
That is when gas comes in handy because you can grill in the rain or snow with ease. nip out and switch it on, get back inside, , swig some beer, go out to rhwo down some meat, back inside, swig beer, flip the meat, plates on the table and back out to grab the meat. OVer and done within 15 minutes without having to hover over the grill.

Man of Honour
Thanks, I was pretty happy with it :)

I have some sous-vide pork shoulder carnitas that I plan on finishing in the BBQ over the weekend. Should be delicious too though will sadly probably not have such a nice smoke ring.

Associate
Would a 47cm BBQ be too small for indirect cooking of a whole chicken or brisket?
It's only two of us in the house and most of the time it'd just be the usual smaller items (burger, sausages etc.)
Don't want to plump for a 57cm size and find it's too big and wasting lots of fuel when I'm just cooking say 4 burgers and a few pieces of chicken etc.

Ta

Soldato
OP
Wouldn't be too small but would limit what sort of size briskets etc you'd get on there. I got a 2kg brisket on my 47cm smoker but it was a tight fit.

If you're looking at the Weber BBQ's bare in mind you can get charcoal fuel baskets which will hold a small amount of fuel in one spot making it more efficient for smaller cooking jobs! :)

Associate
Would a 47cm BBQ be too small for indirect cooking of a whole chicken or brisket?
It's only two of us in the house and most of the time it'd just be the usual smaller items (burger, sausages etc.)
Don't want to plump for a 57cm size and find it's too big and wasting lots of fuel when I'm just cooking say 4 burgers and a few pieces of chicken etc.

Ta

Buy the 57cm, a 47cm kettle is really quite small if you want to cook indirectly.

Associate
Cool! Weber 57cm Original will do then. Those baskets would be handy, rather than having to shove the coals all over the place.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom