*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Associate
Had the first proper bbq of the year today after cleaning up the bbq from the spider webs that had appeared over the winter.

I bought a chimney starter which made massive difference to the starting up the bbq fast.

For the food I wrapped potato slices and onions in foil and threw them on the coals for an hour or so and after cookig tossed them in butter and salt. They were amaizing!
Also did some pork belly slices with a bbq sauce which turned out great too but my favourite was definitely the potatos and onions.

Was going to take pictures but we ate it all before I remembered.

I really want to try something a bit more challenging now as I have got pretty decent with the basics now. Any ideas?

Soldato
if you had not seen it

Sun 23 Apr 2017 15:00 BST 41 - foodnetwork
Bite of Britain: On this trip, Guy Fieri is living it up in London and digging into a real-deal regional feast. (S23 Ep10) DDD
Food%20Network.png

Bite of Britain Grillstock London, UK October 16, 2015
Bird of Smithfield London, UK
Hook Camden Town Camden, London, UK

Soldato
OP
Went to go and fix the loose feet on the smoker today only to discover a nut had gone missing in the ash and a bolt had fallen out! Naturally enough I managed to lose the nut and the local shop I use for such things was closed so I'll be getting that fixed tomorrow. Might throw some pork on to celebrate :p

Man of Honour
Loving my new weber genesis. I have set up a corner of the garden with my kettles and the evil gasser. Had it since Sat and it has been well used so far.

Associate
With the remodeling of the garden nearly finished, I have informed the soon to be Mrs that we're getting a proper BBQ for meat. We have a classic Weber which is great but when it comes to cooking some larger bits of meat that require mega temps were getting a local engineering company to make a Goucho style grill (not the restaurant, the cattle farmers in Argentina)

It's essentially a grill rack that you can raise and drop via a pulley and block system. The tray for the charcoal is super heavy weight with controlled venting which means you can get the cooking temp up to silly temps. Something like this

Roll on the summer!

Soldato
With the remodeling of the garden nearly finished, I have informed the soon to be Mrs that we're getting a proper BBQ for meat. We have a classic Weber which is great but when it comes to cooking some larger bits of meat that require mega temps were getting a local engineering company to make a Goucho style grill (not the restaurant, the cattle farmers in Argentina)

It's essentially a grill rack that you can raise and drop via a pulley and block system. The tray for the charcoal is super heavy weight with controlled venting which means you can get the cooking temp up to silly temps. Something like this

Roll on the summer!

I'd keep the weber going too, they fulfill a different role. The Argentinian grill will be much better at precision charcoal grilling while the Weber is better for indirect and smoking.

I ended up doing the cooking at a party I was invited to last year on a large Argentinian style grill. It was a pretty good bit of kit TBH and I'm more used to webers these days.

Associate
Best way to cook beef fore rib roast on the BBQ? I've always done it in the oven at about 170. Is it worth cooking it at a lower temp for longer?

Soldato
Just a heads up. Homebase currently have the smokey grey Weber MasterTouch 57cm with the gourmet grill system for £122 in most areas. The price on the product says over £200 but at the till the price is £122. Only the grey colour though. What a bargain! If I didn't already have a lovely red one, I'd be off to get one!

Soldato
Best way to cook beef fore rib roast on the BBQ? I've always done it in the oven at about 170. Is it worth cooking it at a lower temp for longer?

How big is the rib? I did a single rib a few weeks back and I always put a rub on them, and then cook them indirect for about 45 mins to an hour. There's a fair amount of fat on them so you could low and slow it but they are delicious indirect for a shorter cook time tbh.

Associate
Just a heads up. Homebase currently have the smokey grey Weber MasterTouch 57cm with the gourmet grill system for £122 in most areas. The price on the product says over £200 but at the till the price is £122. Only the grey colour though. What a bargain!
Thank you so much for posting this. What an amazing bargain. Was a bit of a trek to get one, but we managed to reserve one at Leamington Spa, and are now the happy owners of a new Weber BBQ. Looking forward to trying things inspired by this thread.

Man of Honour
Had a lot of grilling this weekend. Highlight were some pork ribs in a bbq sauce and rub from chefsteps cooked sous vide and finished on the kettle. Hhhhngg.

Soldato
Thank you so much for posting this. What an amazing bargain. Was a bit of a trek to get one, but we managed to reserve one at Leamington Spa, and are now the happy owners of a new Weber BBQ. Looking forward to trying things inspired by this thread.

You're welcome! Enjoy using it, it really is a lovely kettle BBQ and for that price, you certainly won't ever beat it. I absolutely love my red MasterTouch.

I read that some shops sold five or six to a single customer, and now if you look at eBay it is saturated with the smokey grey MasterTouch BBQs. I truly hope that those buying so many to sell on get stuck with them! Some people :rolleyes:

Soldato
I'm tempted to buy myself a Charbroil Kettleman. Anyone got any experience of these?

Seem better value than weber of that size. I currently have a weber compact but it's too small.

I've honestly never heard of Charbroil as a brand. I trust the Weber name, not just for the quality but also for the service, which I've experienced first-hand due to a damaged kettle upon delivery. They were first flass at sorting it out and to be honest, I wouldn't use any other kettle now. They've got me as a customer for life. And if you can manage to still find the smokey grey MasterTouch at Homebase, they're £122 which is basically half-price. That's a far better deal than the Charbroil.

Associate
How big is the rib? I did a single rib a few weeks back and I always put a rub on them, and then cook them indirect for about 45 mins to an hour. There's a fair amount of fat on them so you could low and slow it but they are delicious indirect for a shorter cook time tbh.
It was about 4Kg. Ended up cooking it for 4 hours with a couple of lumps of hickory on the coals. Gave it a lovely smokey flavour.

Soldato
Just a heads up. Homebase currently have the smokey grey Weber MasterTouch 57cm with the gourmet grill system for £122 in most areas. The price on the product says over £200 but at the till the price is £122. Only the grey colour though. What a bargain! If I didn't already have a lovely red one, I'd be off to get one!

Doh, I just bought and have used a 57cm weber original.

Soldato
It was about 4Kg. Ended up cooking it for 4 hours with a couple of lumps of hickory on the coals. Gave it a lovely smokey flavour.

Awesome! I keep meaning to add some wood chips to my coals when I cook indirectly. I usually use the wood for when I'm smoking, and always neglect it when cooking other meat on my MasterTouch.

Soldato
Another heads-up, apparently the cheap price on the Weber MasterTouch smokey grey is due to Homebase having cut ties with Weber because Homebase was recently bought out by an Australian company, hence why Jumbucks and Outback grills, which are both Australian, feature heavily in their stores now. So there may be further Weber products with big discounts soon enough!

Back
Top Bottom