*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Man of Honour
That smoker looks interesting.

Last nights grub. Cote de veau (50c sous vide and finished one the grill) and bone marrow for my son and I, daughter had sausages because she's fussy at the mo (she's only 6 so all good!).

Dw1p1yn.jpg

Soldato
Here's the thread about the Callow smoker that my friend put up on the uk smoking forum, he's gone into a lot of detail with temperature profiling etc so probably of interest to some here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/259901/callow-smoker-review

As a side note, after my first use of the smoker, I struggled with get higher temps for smoking a chicken, my friend investigated and did the profiling in the thread above. Seems my temp probe was dying on me when I first used the smoker, the last time I used it, one moment it was reading 135oC the next it was 43oC...and it read pretty much the same when I put it in boiling water...

Last edited:
Soldato
I think there are a few issues with it but for the money it is a great bit of kit, perfect for a beginner to smoking. I've had the same issues as my friend in that the handle fell apart (apparently they're revising the design) and the thermometer being miles off (the pic in his thread of the orange digital thermometer next to the built in one is my pic) but this isn't really a problem as you'd really want to be using a dual probe type affair anyway to get good accuracy.

Soldato
So it's time, I need a new BBQ.

Now I know some won't agree, but I'd love it to be gas for pure easiness of turn on and cook. I appreciate that might not be "BBQ" but it's still flame grilled ! :) Does the coal really make that much difference?

That said, I'm still open to Gas vs Coal (just the speed part) any recommendations for BBQ's? My budget is around £150-£250, rather not go above that price point.

Noticed I missed the Weber on offer, design looked good! Although it looked a little small?

Any help appreciated ! :)

Man of Honour
It's easy to be dismissive of gas. If I were to only have one I would have a weber kettle but I also now have gas and results are great. Since having gas I have used it at least every other day due to the convenience.

Soldato
It's easy to be dismissive of gas. If I were to only have one I would have a weber kettle but I also now have gas and results are great. Since having gas I have used it at least every other day due to the convenience.

Thats exactly my thoughts, literally turn on and start cooking, i think i did more BBQs then ever last year due to gas.

Soldato
IMO a good gas BBQ is a good BBQ, and you can always use a cheap smokerbox with woodchips to get the flavour. At least if it's got a lid you have the option of indirect vs direct. Gas is just lacking the bewitching charm of uncontrolled fire that seems to massage a primal part of my brain..

Associate
IMO a good gas BBQ is a good BBQ, and you can always use a cheap smokerbox with woodchips to get the flavour. At least if it's got a lid you have the option of indirect vs direct. Gas is just lacking the bewitching charm of uncontrolled fire that seems to massage a primal part of my brain..

Interested to know more about smoker boxes as not come across them, but if you can add flavour with them like a charcoal bbq that sounds great. I love my gas bbq, as mentioned above, so very convenient.

Soldato
Interested to know more about smoker boxes as not come across them, but if you can add flavour with them like a charcoal bbq that sounds great. I love my gas bbq, as mentioned above, so very convenient.

Something like this filled with wet woodchips. Place directly over the gas flame, (only have half of the gas lit), and cook the food indirectly with the lid down..
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/bbq-smoker-box-392679

It won't give you the full smoker effect but it will add a lot of smoky flavour to your food.

Soldato
Minor BBQ for me tomorrow - sausages / burgers but also half a leg of lamb currently marinating in sacla coriander pesto overnight and a whole side of salmon to be brushed in maple syrup :)

Soldato
Associate
Something like this filled with wet woodchips. Place directly over the gas flame, (only have half of the gas lit), and cook the food indirectly with the lid down..
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/bbq-smoker-box-392679

It won't give you the full smoker effect but it will add a lot of smoky flavour to your food.

Cheers pal, been looking into one over the weekend since you sent me that. Going to get one for the Gas BBQ and some nice chips to go with it.

Soldato
Finally buckled and ordered a Weber Smokey Joe Premium which arrives tomorrow. Only wife and I to cook for so this should be ideal for our needs. Will christen/season it tomorrow and then hopefully have a mega meat blow-out this weekend as temperatures are set to soar! Planning on the usual easy tidbits and slow cooked ribs and brisket!

Soldato
I don't really BBQ but I have offered to take some marinated chicken thighs/legs/breasts to one on Saturday. I was thinking I would cook it in the oven beforehand, then transport to the BBQ 30 minutes away before erm...BBQing.

Presume the safer option is to cook the chicken fully in the oven? I don't want to risk BBQ only, especially when it's not my party, but keen to try something other than just burgers/sausages.

Man of Honour
I don't really BBQ but I have offered to take some marinated chicken thighs/legs/breasts to one on Saturday. I was thinking I would cook it in the oven beforehand, then transport to the BBQ 30 minutes away before erm...BBQing.

Presume the safer option is to cook the chicken fully in the oven? I don't want to risk BBQ only, especially when it's not my party, but keen to try something other than just burgers/sausages.

It's a barbecue not a bareback orgy. Just cook it through

Back
Top Bottom