*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
The Berber and Q recipe book is definitely my favourite BBQ book, all the recipes are amazing!
Just looked it up and kindle edition is 99p, bargain! Has all the pictures and everything. Have been meaning to go a bit more 'next level' with bbqing this year - as in not just the standard pulled pork, brisket, ribs, wings etc. - so this should help a lot, cheers.

Soldato
That's a bargain at 99p! Some of the recipes are a bit more involved, but it's definitely worth getting all the extra bits and pieces for them as they do make a difference.

Associate
When we moved in there was a masonry BBQ. I’ve tried cooking on it a few times but find that the lowest grill height is still far away from the charcoal/briquettes so you end up grouping the fuel which makes the cooking area narrow. I thought about cutting new slots, but without an angle grinder I wondered whether raising the floor was a better option. I have a couple old house bricks (would need more), but wanted to ask if there is any special type needed due to the heat. Thanks for any advice!

Soldato
When we moved in there was a masonry BBQ. I’ve tried cooking on it a few times but find that the lowest grill height is still far away from the charcoal/briquettes so you end up grouping the fuel which makes the cooking area narrow. I thought about cutting new slots, but without an angle grinder I wondered whether raising the floor was a better option. I have a couple old house bricks (would need more), but wanted to ask if there is any special type needed due to the heat. Thanks for any advice!

Fire bricks will be perfect for that.

Soldato
Surprised this thread isn’t seeing more action given the time of year! Likely the cost of living crisis. We are all eating beans on toast :D

Caporegime
Surprised this thread isn’t seeing more action given the time of year! Likely the cost of living crisis. We are all eating beans on toast :D

I just bought a master touch today. Whole Korean chicken cooked on it immediately. Need tk buy some wood for a smoke this week.

Need to get cleaning stuff, tongs and stuff!

Soldato

Weather has been **** as well.

Although I BBQ all year round, but only gas.

I have charcoal BBQs also, but those are for nicer days and when I have time. Only used the charcoal a few times this year so far :(

Soldato
Yeah the weather has been a bit disappointing for sure! Hopefully it picks up. Freshly cut grass and burning charcoal are what we want at this time of year :)

Permabanned
First BBQ in over a year at weekend, due to pizza oven purchase, so dusted off the Weber. Grill was a touch worse for wear so went to try and buy a replacement, garden centre wanted £71 for a new grill! Almost half the cost of a brand new BBQ. :cry:

Bought some oven cleaner and gave it a good seeing to, was fine. :)

Soldato
I wish when i have lit my bbq that my coals look like that all the time. I still struggling after a year to get the charcoal right. Light with chimney, wait 20 mins until white hot, pour in to designated area depending on the cook. But I always seem to lose heat, opening the lid obviously to put meat on etc. But after initial heat around 200-220c it then drops to 150c or so and very rarely recovers.

When I did eventually eat, it was damn good.

Soldato
I managed to **** my gas BBQ up. It's a char broil x200, it's a good BBQ but I never liked the throttle on it.

It's designed to be used on small disposable gas cans, but you can buy an adapter to run it off a normal gas bottle.

But the gas flow is mainly controlled by the size of the small hole in the fitting that goes into the BBQ, which gets clogged up a bit over time.

The BBQ also never seemed to get hot enough for say a steak.

So I took a pin vice (handheld drill) and drilled out the hole, only marginally mind you, buy turns out the guage of this hole is pretty sensitive and I've turned it into a turbo death weapon to the point the fat tray went up.

Fortunately no lasting damage, so I'm going to rig up my own control with an inline screw type valve to control the gas flow, fingers crossed should sort it.

I've still barely had my charcoal BBQs out this year though :/

Soldato
Got a summit kamado to replace my fornetto bullet smoker. Now to add a concrete base next to the pizza oven and build some sort of pull out table to accommodate the BBQ or just build some side shelves, not sure yet.

mjecXE4h.jpg

Associate
Hi All,

Given the weather, I think the time has come to risk it all on a big piece of brisket on my WSM from the local butchers. However, I do come seeking help still please :)

1) Minion or snake method for the coal?
2) Foil or butchers paper?
3) Any tips? :D

Thanks in advance!
If you did the full Brisket then photos and follow up post?!

Back
Top Bottom