Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

Permabanned
This information will be added to/edited as I collect it from various sources, I will supply links and credit original source where possible.

SETUP/TWEAK
1: Clear Cmos before you power up! ( advise removal of battery for 5mins too)
2: Only install 1 stick of memory in slot 2 (2nd orange from top) or slot 1 ( top yellow). The shipping BIOS has some POST issues with some types of Ram, and needs to be flashed to latest BIOS (see #4)
3: To enter BIOS press DEL when the DFI logo apears, the logo can be disabled in BIOS if you don't like it.
3a: Shipping bios, to set Vdimm use only up/down and then F10.Do not change anything else or Vdimm will be -reset. This is fixed in betaBios
BIOS section
4: Get the latest BIOS as it helps with some TCCD(seems to affect mainly shipping BIOS and 512 TCCD sticks) problems. 209 also fixes SATA issues.
Latest BIOS 310 FILE.
310 final BIOS
Later BIOS' have Memtest turned on by default, you will need to dissable this in BIOS, it is just below the Voltage options for CPU & memory.
ALL BIOS FILES & Winflash/tools
UPDATE! pls see THIS thread for a boot CD with ALL Bios'

5: You can use a 20pin PSU plug but it must be inserted correctly, the top 4 pins will have no connection - this is not a problem so long as your PSU is a good quality >400W, and for stability sake plug all the other connectors in, this includes the 4pin 12v, 1 molex and 1 floppy plug.
6:Errata 94 Enhancement. in BIOS opitons, if you are using a winne CPU, you must disable this. (OPB@ xtreme thread)
6b: Slight PCIe corruption with high HTT is fixed with setting PCie frequency to 101mhz in BIOS. (seems to be fixed after BIOS 209)
7: To open up with BIOS Vdimm settings over 3.2v, you need to manualy set the Vdimm in BIOS, shut down and then move the jumper(JP17) over.
6b: Some PSU's can't cope with the board in 4v mode (something to do with bad 5v sense), if you have this trouble - buy a new PSU or use 3.2v maximum.
8: Latest DFI drivers can be found HERE
8b: Latest Nvidia NF4 drivers (currently 6.53)HERE
9: Orange memory slots(2&4) offer better memory clock stablity.
10: Memory on this boards likes a little more Vdimm then used on others. If you have issues add 0.1-0.3v more and re-test.
11. No reported issues with any of the SATA frequencies been locked.
12: SATA 1&2 , 3&4 are the wrong way around in BIOS as marked on the board, not a big issue unless you like to disable unused features (fixed in later BIOS')
13: Top PCIe slot is slightly faster (couple of hundred 3D points) then the lower one, but either can be used with a single PCIe GFX card.
1. Flash with the new bios and when complete turn off the computer and clear cmos.
2. Power up the computer and enter bios, go to Integrated Peripherals -> Raid Config, In Raid Config set Internal Phy SATA 1-4 to enabled (and the Silicon image ones if you have the 'DR' flavour and you have your array on these channels)
4. If you have a USB keyboard enable USB Keyboard support also in Integrated Peripherals
3. Save and exit the bios
4. When prompted by the NVRaid bios screen (After POST) press F10 to enter the raid setup. If all has gone well you should see your Raid array has been detected and showing as Healthy.
5. Press Cntrl-X to exit Raid setup and your comp should boot as normal.[/QUOTE]
3; place the mbm 5.ini into programfiles/motherboardmonitor5/data folder.
thanks to dave for the ini file
1: Revision sticker can be found on the bottom edge of the last PCI slot. RevA01 and A02 have identical components/build, just differ in BIOS version. A00 should be returned(not to be confused with AA0). DFI has stated that if you are unhappy with a revA01, RMA it to them and they will make the changes needed for it to be a RevA02.
2: Memtest does not currently support the NF4 chipset properly. Errors on test 5 in the same memory range regardless of setting indicate a program error.(later BIOS' now come with latest memtest that fixes this issue)
3: Thermalright XP120 does fit. Fitment thread is HERE.
4: Thermalright XP90 also fits.
5: Offical DFI users forum HERE
6: If you have Start-up problems after overclocking, you may need to remove your Cmos battery to clear the Cmos properly.
7: Voltage table thread HERE

REVIEWS
NeoSeeker
HardOCP
ANANDTECH - DFI nForce4: SLI and Ultra
Xtreme - Bigtoe from OCZ tests various memory on NF4
Ultra-D Modded to SLI results HERE

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
well I can't run 1:1 at anything over 275 as I only have BH5/6/UTT memory , but I have benched at 270 1:1 with BH5 :)
HTT was at 4x and I ran 340mhz ! 1T, no way the neo2 would even get close.

Only problem so far (all day running) was latest Nvidia Nf4 drivers(6.39) and Cat5.1's .

thats only realy due to the win2K installation is old and was run on my NF3/Gt6800 setup, so needed the drivers all cleaning out.

I have to say I realy realy like this board, and im glad I waited:D

I think this is down to the NF4 been a better chipset too

Last edited:
Soldato
nice,

whats this about can't run 1:1? only bench?

You tried using any dividers to get some 300+ HTT? Hopefully getting mine next week aslong as they are actually getting a decent number in stock this time.

Edit: just seen your edit. Looks a nice board cant wait, definatley blows the NEO 2 outta the water. Got one here and it an aweful motherboard. 340 is very nice indeed, is that a stable speed? Just the board and my new PC&C PSU to come.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi there guess on monday ill be a owner, My Dr board is on way from Overclockers :)
Still waiting on Patriot Xblk Ram. Got these bits to build : 3200 Winnie 2* 6800gt xfx 1 74gb Raptor 1 Maxtor 10 300gb. 1 Dfi nf4 Dr 600 exermax Noisetaker and Asus Starice. <-- dunno about using this seems very bulky and large.

Got 1 question tho as I have never set up a Os with Sata drives. Whats the procedure do I need driver disks or will Sp2 slipstreamed have them already? If not can a Flash pen be used during Xp instal to load Sata drivers? Ill not be doing Raid what Sata ports should I be using on the DR for best performance?

Answers would be great help in setting up next week. Thnx

Associate
mrbios said:
new i was going to ask something, what boards are shipping from OcUK? A.00, A.01 or A.02? as im not going to order one till i know there all A.02

I think all the boards that DFI shipped out are A.02. :)

Soldato
Jimi said:
I think all the boards that DFI shipped out are A.02. :)

k, ive only read stuff about it at XS and a few of them recieved A.00 boards, presume that was only in america that problem occured? also are they shipping with the latest febuary bios that fixes the TCCD problem?

Associate
mrbios said:
k, ive only read stuff about it at XS and a few of them recieved A.00 boards, presume that was only in america that problem occured? also are they shipping with the latest febuary bios that fixes the TCCD problem?

Didn't DFI have to recall a some of their boards? I think a few people got some of the boards that were supposed to be recalled. I could be wrong though.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/NF4LD201.zip Here's the link to the new beta bios, from what I have read on the XS forums, a lot of people are having better results with that.

Permabanned
OP
Mine is rev A02,

Sorry about the post, does'nt make much sense ( joy of beer).
I had already posted the BIOS link in the original post too.

Anyway, I meant to say I don't have any TCCD to push for realy high 1:1 ,as I'm limited by my memory choice of BH5/BH6/UTT , oh and I do have a stick of CH5 too.
But the BIOS has 100/133/140/150/166/183/200 options, so its fairly easy to get the right Mem frequency without having to use A64tweaker.
Although CPUz does'nt support the odd settings yet, its fairly easy to work out, and Bandwidth benches confirm they work.
I have to say that the BIOS is a little daunting at first, even to an experienced OCer, but lucky everything has Auto options ;)
I realy like the safe boot Jumper option ( JP1), saves having to clear Cmos.

Another good point so far is that I can take my BH5 further with less volts then I have previously set with DDR booster on the Neo2.

Chipset fan is fairly quiet, and DFI have put a TIM on there too.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Losts of good tweak/setup info filtering about now, I'll edit top post with what i find and links to source.

Associate
I had some problems with Ultra-D. Took me an hour to get it to post :(
Revision A02 with Bios dated 25/1/05. Eventually I managed to post with a single stick (OCZ PC3200 EL Plat 2) in 1 slot in particular (DDR1). Then flashed BIOS to the Beta 2.01 and all was well
smile.gif
Now running 2 x 512 in slots 2 and 4.
Looks like the newest official BIOS doesn't like TCCD
confused.gif

Not tried any o/c yet, but I will;)
Chipset fan a bit loud at times for my taste. Since the rest of the rig is watercooled, guess I will go to the machine shop and mill a block for the NF4 chip. Not much room though:(

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Yeah, seems its the 512 sticks of TCCD and the shipping BIOS thats the problem.
Also many ppl are having to clear Cmos totaly before they can post for first boot. So i will add these to the top.

Back
Top Bottom