******* Official Football Manager 14 Thread *******

Man of Honour
I wouldn't say it happens often to the same team, normally the team that dominates comes away with the win but so often on this game I dominate and don't score and draw or lose, doesn't matter how good my strikers or wingers are they will never score one on ones with the keepers. Its seriously irritating! I could imagine manu over the last few years dominating games all season and finishing mid table due to conceding from a couple shots on target from opposition and dropping points.

Why are team incapable of following tactics? pass shorter so they hoof ball, high tempo so they pass it about slow at the back, keeper to pass shorter and distribute at the back so he hoofs it all the time, retain possession so they hoof it, shoot less so they cut inside an shoot more.... ive had it with this game im afraid, worst one to date.

I think it's the best one to date :D

It still requires some tweaking for sure - at the start of a lot of my matches either my team or the opposing will hoof the ball out for no apparent reason. But other than this, and perhaps the corners issue, I am finding tactics working a lot better than before. For example, my pitch condition is terrible, but I play a short passing and slow tempo counter game. I kept losing. I was told to change that tactic to more direct for the quality of pitch. Sure enough, I make this change and start to win home games. I switch back to the other tactic for away games. I can definitely see this tactic working.

Soldato
Just been promoted with 10 games left!

A few things-

-All of a sudden I have started picking up red cards, after previously having none
-One player keeps passing back to the keeper wherever he is on the pitch...getting very annoying!
- I have a rivalry with every manager in the world...whatever I say, seems to provoke some kind of attack!

Soldato
Huh...so...Derby, 1st in the league, my tactic and team have gelled, I'm losing the odd game and now I'm on course for a final in the league cup (just need to win, or draw the away game at Norwich)...got a new contract with the club, keeping me until 2017. Problem, I need a new striker as I only have 2 and my one is injured, I could get one on loan, but, I want one I can call mine, and a new GK as Man U are not happy that Sam Johnstone isn't starting ahead of Brian Murphy...Board have given no funds for winter window and the option to ask for monies is not clickable...have I borked?

Associate
I need a new right winger to lead my champions league campaign for season 3 with Southampton. I've lined up bids for Douglas Costa of Shaktar and Lacazette of Lyon. Has anyone got any experience of either? I can't decide who to sign :( Or any other suggestions for around the £9-12m mark

Caporegime
I'm really pleased with myself having only played a couple of hours of this, I've got two assignments due in and I've impressed even myself with my self control :).

Soldato
I'm really pleased with myself having only played a couple of hours of this, I've got two assignments due in and I've impressed even myself with my self control :).

That's very impressive!

I've just found a new way (a new way for me at least!) of finding regens. This could save me a hell of a lot of time in the future.

Go to World Transfers, select Youth Intake and then select a certain country. For example, create a filter for January and USA, and it'll give you the name of all the relevant regens who'd been created!

Man of Honour
That's very impressive!

I've just found a new way (a new way for me at least!) of finding regens. This could save me a hell of a lot of time in the future.

Go to World Transfers, select Youth Intake and then select a certain country. For example, create a filter for January and USA, and it'll give you the name of all the relevant regens who'd been created!

Ah man that is sweet! The easiest way to search out regens by far. Is this a new feature in 14? I never remember seeing the youth intake option in 13. You obviously still need to scout players out of your division etc. For example I can only see the stats for players in the champs - for anyone else I need to scout. But it's great. Although for those without masking, it's easy :D

Caporegime
Mourinho just had a pop about our upcoming match against Chelsea and our expectations in the media and I responded to that, but then I noticed that you can't now interact with any other manager at all or even tell the media what you think of someone or their club unless you get asked :confused:

Seeing all the rivalries, off hand comments and wind-ups between rival clubs and managers so added to the feel of the whole thing. You know, after all these years making the FM series you'd have thought that there'd be some elements that would be sacrosanct and common throughout by now, namely the ones that actually made it feel more alive :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Just nearly had heart attack...got home from work, booted PC up, FM14, carried on my Derby save, hmm...League Cup final against Chelsea, definite loss...They put out a 1/2 and 1/2 team with decent youngsters and first team regulars (think Ake, Torres)...I was suffering from injuries, so, James Bailey as Anchor Man...yeah...this is going to be a slaughter...I got a mild shock when Glenn Loovens nodded home a fantastic Jamie Ward free-kick/cross from the left, 1-0 to Derby in the 7th minute...Chelsea pilled on the pressure, James Bailey held his ground...oh...he's green injury, keep him on, I have NO DM on the bench due to injuries. Chelsea scored a beautiful lob over Brian Murphy with Fernando Torres, 1-1. 5 or 6 minutes later, Connor Sammon (on his second start) burst into the Chelsea box, popped and cracker of a shot over the Chelsea under 21's keeper, 2-1 Derby. Few minutes of end to end play passed, ball comes of Ashley Cole for a corner, up steps David Bentley, he crosses it into the penalty area, Glenn Loovens burst forth, BANG! Back of the net, fans go wild, 3-1 Derby!! Half time...I regain my nerves, congratulate the team and press continue. 60 minutes Torres scores again, making it 3-2, ahh, now Chelsea are mounting a typical Chelsea come back, off goes Ake, on comes Mikel, off goes Chalaboh (sp?) on comes Ramires...Chelsea want this, Chelsea are going to grab this win...I make a couple of subs on the 75 minute mark, off come James Bailey, Conner Sammon and Jake Buxton, on come Jeff Hendrick, Apostolos Vellios and Micheal Keane...Chelsea are really pilling on the pressure, shots flying everywhere. Torres hits the bar twice, Murphy clears a lob, rushes out and clears a Ramires Rocket...90 minutes, Chelsea have not left my half for awhile now...final whistle blows...DERBY HAVE WON THE LEAGUE CUP!!

Fantastic feeling!

EDIT: Regarding the transfer funds for winter, I asked when it wasn't greyed out and got 2M...sorted a permanent move for Vellios (250K) and bought Kelvin Mellor from Crewe for 160K and loaned to Ipswich for the rest of the season...

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm really loving the game this year, everything seems so slick. I dare say it has the potential to be up there with the classics of champ man 97/98 and 01/02 :D

Man of Honour
Pighardia - what a cracking result. 19 points between you and second. That's a very good finish. I can't believe how many team instructions you have - I use 3-5 usually. I might try to experiment looking at yours. I just came second, 2 points behind Cardiff who were first, to get me into the Premiership for the first time in 14. Will be interesting to see how it compares like for like with 13. I know the financial side of things has been overhauled so I'm looking forward to seeing the differences. I have been given £15 million to play with, but still with a small wage budget. I finished £3 million in the red too, so I need to be careful.

Soldato
Pighardia - what a cracking result. 19 points between you and second. That's a very good finish. I can't believe how many team instructions you have - I use 3-5 usually. I might try to experiment looking at yours.

They are pretty much all instructions towards the same end really. The board requirement was to play possession football, and all of those instructions work towards that....slow tempo, play from the back, work the ball into the box etc.

I really like the slightly deeper player and club negotiations in this years game.

PS. Starting to regret all of the promotion bonuses I used to persuade my players to sign new contracts for a cheaper wage!!!...for example, Orlandi was on 16kpw, so I offered him a new contract of 12kpw, but with a 60% promotion bonus:o...most of my players have similar contracts! Did not think that one through

Back
Top Bottom