1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Home Gym Building Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by Psycho Sonny, 1 May 2011.

1. uncle_rufus

Soldato

Haha maybe! I really wanted to get the Bulldog Zero 1 Cable Pulley because it's so ridiculously small footprint it would be perfect for my garage as it's already so small and cramped... Expensive bit of kit though at £955 but I put myself on the waiting list - it came up the other day - "now available to buy! £1075" I kind of don't want to get it now on principle

2. jsmoke

Capodecina

Just built myself this bench.

3. GR63

Wise Guy

That is really nice. Great job. If I had decent tools I could be tempted to build

4. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Iron Master dumbbells are the best, I love mine. No other adjustable dumbbells are quite like the real thing.

5. jsmoke

Capodecina

I mean that's not me in the video but I copied this design. And you don't need many tools.

Battery drill.
    4.5mm and 5mm wood drill bits.
    Hand saw.
    Hacksaw
    Measuring tape and pencil.
    10mm spanner.

Really simple.

6. Skidder

Man of Honour

How heavy would you be happy to go on that bench?

7. LiE

Capodecina

I’d be more worried about sliding off !

8. ahenners

Wise Guy

Anyone bought weight plates from muscle squad? Looking at the Tri grip rubber ones. I did want the Mirafit hex plates but the 2.5kg and 5kgs are out of stock currently and getting impatient waiting for them to come in. Open to suggestions as long as quality decent and a similar rubber 2" plate.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2021
  9. LiE

Capodecina

10. Freefaller

Man of Honour

Indeed I'm stronger / fitter in my 40s than I was before - not sure what happened? maybe more focus and realisation that exercise is more effective if you're disciplined.

11. Syla5

Soldato

i dont know, my powerblocks say otherwise :D

12. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

They’re not bad, but there are exercises that you can’t do properly with them such as decline pullovers and goblet squats.

For a home gym the exercise diversity of each tool is critical. I can also use the ironmaster weights for my adjustable kettle bell.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2021
  13. Dominic-Toretto

Wise Guy

Does anyone have any recommendations for gym flooring?
    I have 50m² that needs covering, which will have various bits of equipment on.
    I can see bulldog gear offer a 20mm 1x1m rubber tile for £40 -> which would be £2000 total, anyone know of anywhere that is decent quality but cheaper?

Should everyone run a dehumidifier in their home gym? Can rust still form if equipment is indoors?

Your flooring looks great! Where is it from?

Last edited: 4 Jul 2021
  14. uncle_rufus

Soldato

Try Arkmat - I got a bunch of 6x4' mats from there for about £30 a piece - they do either 12mm or 18mm and I went with 12mm as it was cheaper, seems not to be wearing too badly so far (though I saved a few offcuts to make some cheap drop-pads for where I do deadlifts, just to avoid wearing holes in the floor at that spot!)

15. LiE

Capodecina

Are you sure the entire gym needs to have rubber flooring? The majority of my home gym is carpet tiles and matting in the heavy lifting area. Carpet is so much better in terms of cleaning and warmth. Floor work is lovely too on carpet.

[​IMG]

These are 15mm and look decent - https://www.blkboxfitness.com/products/blk-box-anti-slip-tile-1mx1mx15mm

For the cost, I just leave my dehumidifier running in the home gym to keep humidity controlled. If your home gym has heating and proper insulation you may be ok. What you don't want to happen is your metal equipment to get very cold then you come into for a workout and all of the humid air starts condensing all over stuff.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2021
  16. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

I suspect if you have a really well built building then you may be ok, but then again even our house gets condensation on the windows in the winter, so the risk is still there.

Same, mine is set to keep the humidity below 50%, usually closer to 30-40%. It comes on a lot more in the summer, but I don’t really notice anything on the electricity bill. It’s worth it to keep my equipment free from rust. The pipe that runs to the outside means I never have to empty it either.

17. Syla5

Soldato

No problem at all with pullovers or goblet squats!

18. ahenners

Wise Guy

Seen a few people in here mention Olympic Dumbbells a while ago.... Looking at the Mirafit ones, you guys got the 10cm or 17cm sleeve versions? Concerned the 17cm might be too long for certain dumbbell work.

19. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

I couldn’t get on with single dumbbell versions of those exercises due to the weird 2 additional bars the powerblocks have.

Maybe adjusting my technique to use those 2 bars as a makeshift kettlebell would have worked. As I didn’t need 2 sets of adjustable dumbbells, and the IMs went much heavier and were closer to normal dumbbells, I sold the powerblocks for an insane profit during lockdown.

I also have a set of these, something like 30cm total length per bar. They’re good to start with as they are cheap and you can just chuck on your Olympic weights, but certain shoulder and chest presses were very annoying with them. I still keep them around for heavy rows and super setting with exercises using the IMs.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2021
  20. ahenners

Wise Guy

Thanks - The 10cm sleeves look like they should be better at the expense of being able to fit less weight on. But they seem like a good solution to not needing a stack of dumbbells which take up space and able to reuse the weight plates elsewhere on a bar.