Official Home Gym Building Thread

Man of Honour
How are those floor mats?

Going to try them today. Deadlifts commence in under an hour. They look like they'll do the job, they are strong, stay in place and have a little shock absorption.

I'm curious to see how much the feet of the bulldog stand get in the way when stepping back. Hopefully they don't stick out too much. Great that you can get spotter arms for it too.

Man of Honour
My Bulldog squat rack arrived, but having had my first deadlift session in a while yesterday and having shifting a tonne of gravel this morning, I may assemble it tomorrow.

Soldato
Missing the gym as well (mainly crossfit stuff) but missing squatting big time.

Got a borrowed bar for now, 120kg of weights and build my rack yesterday.

Bloody bargain - made by a local fabricating place made it, including J hooks, and all fixings. They've been building 2 racks a day for last 6 weeks! Can't keep up with demand!

Wife can also use the top support for pullups etc and I've got a pull up bar already on the wall above it.

Jq06v36.jpg

cBA3K9V.jpg

Man of Honour
^^that looks great!

Works well, first use today...

It was a little wobbly at first, partly due to the slabs that don’t have a smooth surface and partly due to me slamming the weight back, but weighing it down worked well. Need the pegs a smidge higher next time, but it’s great that it has such small increments. It also stores easily in the shed. Will try it for squats tomorrow.

It’s going to take me a while to build back up though. I’ve gone from 125kg 4x5 to struggling with 95kg for 5. I don’t think I’ve lost too much muscle, so I suspect it’s just a case of getting it all together again.

Last edited:
Soldato

Bloody bargain - made by a local fabricating place made it, including J hooks, and all fixings. They've been building 2 racks a day for last 6 weeks! Can't keep up with demand!

Wife can also use the top support for pullups etc and I've got a pull up bar already on the wall above it.

Jq06v36.jpg

cBA3K9V.jpg
This looks really good, espeically the fact you can fold it in to the wall! How much did it cost my i ask?

Soldato
This looks really good, espeically the fact you can fold it in to the wall! How much did it cost my i ask?

yeah - Missus was adamant that it had to be "neat and tidy"

£250 from local fabricators. Including delivery, J hooks, and bolts to fix to wall. Bargain. Most places charge £50 delivery for any online rigs etc.

Even the wife squatted yesterday!:eek::eek:

Soldato
yeah - Missus was adamant that it had to be "neat and tidy"

£250 from local fabricators. Including delivery, J hooks, and bolts to fix to wall. Bargain. Most places charge £50 delivery for any online rigs etc.

Even the wife squatted yesterday!:eek::eek:
Just need an awning for winter :D

Soldato
Soldato
That rack looks like a fantastic bit of kit and that price is incredible. I saw a similar and probably far less sturdy set up on fb sponsored results going for about 600+. The steel looked like cheap warehouse shelving unlike yours!

Associate
I actually started my home gym build around October last year - I train at 6AM most days and my local gym was getting silly busy even at that time so decided to clear out the junk from the garage and convert to a gym - was alternating between garage and local gym, but obviously been in the garage full time since lockdown.

I cant see my going back to a commercial gym in future - all I really need is a set of dumbbells (was all ready to get them and then lockdown happened and couldn't get them anywhere)

mBnWiyd.jpg

I try and keep stuff off the floor as space is limited, so mounted a Oly bar holder (and have since read this may not be as good for the bars, so will maybe get a horizontal holder in future

N89PbQR.jpg

and got an Ikea pegboard for my cable attachments and stuff

awT4WTi.jpg

and recently moved our cross trainer in there too to make space in the spare room, now I WFH full time

5fPwAjR.jpg

Caporegime
OP

Jq06v36.jpg

cBA3K9V.jpg

wheres the catcher if you fail a lift?

Caporegime
OP
I don’t have one either at the moment. They were sold out. Just having to be careful in the meantime.

don't get me wrong i had a power rack for 15 years and i only ever failed 1 lift in it ever. but I was sure glad it was there when I needed it. i used to train twice a day at times too.

his doesn't seem to have any way to accomodate them either from the looks of it.

it would be the difference between a broken spine/neck and not in some cases.

Soldato
wheres the catcher if you fail a lift?

Don't have one....This rig is mainly to complement gym work/crossfit etc - I won't be maxing out lifts at home, would stick to that at the gym where they have catchers etc.

I totally understand the need for them. Also don't have enough plates yet to be maxing/going super heavy.

Back
Top Bottom