• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official OcUK Coffeelake review thread

Soldato
What confuses me here is isn't the 8700k clocked much higher than the 8400. An architectural limit would make sense, but they will kill there own chip sales. I am doubting the ring bus though as otherwise surely over clocking would not yield an improvement?

Deliberate move perhaps?

Last edited:
Caporegime
just for you humbug

anyone saying meh about these cpus just look.these are really really good.

also for those on old i5s old i7s there is massive differences.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good review. Basically confirms what we've already seen - buy a 1600 if you do a lot of multi-tasking and some gaming, buy an 8400 for pure gaming. Although often it isn't quite that clear cut due to RAM speed and component cost.
Indeed, I've been waiting for this review.

Worth noting at the end, using the ASRock Z370 Taichi no BCLK overclocking, locked out at 102MHz and can not max the boost to 4GHz with enhanced cores so 3.8GHz max, they tried MSI, Gigabyte boards as well.

Associate
Indeed, I've been waiting for this review.

Worth noting at the end, using the ASRock Z370 Taichi no BCLK overclocking, locked out at 102MHz and can not max the boost to 4GHz with enhanced cores so 3.8GHz max, they tried MSI, Gigabyte boards as well.
Even at 3.8ghz performance is good for the price. One area that the 8400 falls down in reviews is the pricing, in this review and another from a NZ reviewer, they thought the 8400's total cost was too high. Fortunately, in the UK there is only a very small difference in price.

I do wish he went into more detail about the benefits of fast RAM that would only be available on Z370; there are some good gains to be made from 2400mhz to 3200mhz.

The uploader of the video below says "As requested were facing of my intel i5 8400 and ryzen 1600, the 8400 is running with mce" and that's with an ASUS Prime Z370-A. So maybe it's board dependent, or the Asus board is wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even at 3.8ghz performance is good for the price. One area that the 8400 falls down in reviews is the pricing, in this review and another from a NZ reviewer, they thought the 8400's total cost was too high. Fortunately, in the UK there is only a very small difference in price.

I do wish he went into more detail about the benefits of fast RAM that would only be available on Z370; there are some good gains to be made from 2400mhz to 3200mhz.
Yeah seems very reasonable in terms of pricing, just get the cheapest Z370 board seen as any form of clocking is locked, I think cache can still be done though. OcUK have a couple of boards at £109.99

I was just watching another video from earlier in the year with 'Kaby Lake DDR4 Memory Guide, Scaling Performance Tested' from January 2017, then noticed this video pop up as new. :)

Hopefully they do another one soon for Coffee Lake and Ryzen refresh, here's the Kabylake one anyway just for reference if anyone is interested >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhc4blOJZeA

Tech Deals also noted in the 8700K review that windows feels more snappier than his Ryzen systems, and in the comments he's already mentioned that he thinks for gaming i5-8400 is better than Ryzen 1600 for gaming anyway.

Associate
Yeah seems very reasonable in terms of pricing, just get the cheapest Z370 board seen as any form of clocking is locked, I think cache can still be done though. OcUK have a couple of boards at £109.99

I was just watching another video from earlier in the year with 'Kaby Lake DDR4 Memory Guide, Scaling Performance Tested' from January 2017, then noticed this video pop up as new. :)

Hopefully they do another one soon for Coffee Lake and Ryzen refresh, here's the Kabylake one anyway just for reference if anyone is interested >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhc4blOJZeA

Tech Deals also noted in the 8700K review that windows feels more snappier than his Ryzen systems, and in the comments he's already mentioned that he thinks for gaming i5-8400 is better than Ryzen 1600 for gaming anyway.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews...e_Lake_Memory_Performance_Benchmark_Analysis/

https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/tes...d_ryzen_5_1600_wojna_szesciu_rdzeni?page=0,43

The latter test is a bit unrealistic as 2133mhz is very slow RAM, 2400mhz is more common.

Back
Top Bottom