*** Official Rugby League SLXVIII Thread ***

Associate
Other that the Saints which anyone could have won stuff with, with the players they had, he has done nothing.
Again the Mathers fiasco cam about because Millward wanted Owen to be first choice full back, then from what I understood Mathers was told not to turn up to training again.
So we end up letting him play for wakey and paying some of his wages.

Anyone know where McGoldrick is playing this year?

Soldato
OP
No idea. I don't think its for FC. Definately not HKR.

Final pre-season friendly on Sunday against FC. I'm not a fan of the pre-season friendlies. They just seem like a brilliant way to get players injured in needless games before the real business of SuperLeague starts.

Looking like our strongest 17 will be:

Eden
Hall
Gleeson
Welham
Hodgson
Burns
Dobson
Tuimavave
Withers
O'Hara
Mika
Paterson
Lovegrove

Hodgson
Cox/Green
Walker
Paea

With Caro on the fringes of first team play. Yikes he's fast!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've thought Morley hasn't been himself since he took that really big hit a couple of years ago, think he's realised that despite his size he is vulnerable. I've never been a Briers fan, maybe it's because I was around him in his "cocky" years. Plus the fact in my eyes he has only ever had one season where I thought he was playing at an international level, I'd have rather had Pryce or Mcquire any day of the week, we've always spent money around Briers when in my own opinion a proper international English/Aussie number 6 would have meant we would have been a far more consistant team!

Soldato
OP
Well that blew the cobwebs off. Rovers win against FC at a VERY cold KC Stadium. Bragging rights to the red and whites, for now, FT 18-28 to Rovers.

Greg Eden scored twice and looks like he is going to be fantastic for us at FB. Cory Paterson had another cracking game (only on for first half).

The first half was all Rovers in a 1st team V 1st team encounter. The second half was predictably 2nd team v 2nd team and despite an improved FC display, Rovers managed to stave them off an run out winners.

Definately looking promising but its SL where it counts, nobody is getting carried away with this game.

HOWEVER, injuries to Welham with a suspected broken hand (REALLY unlucky guy!), Mika (groin) and Paterson (shoulder) which I am really hoping they will be ok for the start of the season. Very concerned if not, given that we are already missing O Hara, Burns (suspended until the game against Wire) and Gleeson.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21123453

And so it is confirmed, Gareth Hock to go on loan to Widnes. A right kick in the nuts to Wigan that is and the board at Wigan did right to get rid.

Interesting comments from Wigan chairman:

"Since I and Wigan are not prepared to allow Gareth to play for one of our major competitors, we have decided to retain his registration and to allow him to move on loan to Widnes, with whom we have an excellent relationship. He is not allowed to play against Wigan in any competitions."

Can't say I necessarily agree with the statements above (not sure what Widnes think about "major competitor" bit!), I think he ought to have just been sacked and gone to Widnes as a full and proper employee, but I guess Wigan want a slice of the pie still, so to speak. Plus, it is a little cowardly.

Thoughts?

Soldato
1. Your team.
2. Your highlight of last season.
3. Your expecatations this season.
4. Your most anticipated new signings.
5. Who you think will win the league leaders shield.
6. Who will be the dark horses of the competition.
7. Any updates from your club, new ground etc.
8. Final league position of your club.
9. What (or who) will be your clubs weakness next year?

1. Team: Widnes
2. Highlight of last season: Watching Widnes beat Wigan 37-36. It was an amazing game and I was lucky enough to be there! (I live 300 miles South).
3. Expectations: Beat clubs like London with some decent games. It would be great to pull a few surprises out of the bag too. Start the season with a win at London please! If we can make the Stobart Stadium a fortress we might stand a chance.
4. Anticipated new signings: Brown and Hock. Hock seems to play dirty so we'll need to be careful there. Let's not forget a few others we signed from loan like Marsh though.
5. League Leaders: Praying for anyone but Wire!
6. Dark horses: Well, everyone has wrote us off so I'd love to say Widnes.
7. Updated: Not really... the iPitch looks a bit worn already though. We've had a decent all seater ground for years ;)
8. Position: 10th but I'd love to be one or two spots higher if we can.
9: Weakness: Injuries!

Soldato
Thoughts?

Great signing for us but we do need to be careful. He can play dirty and we don't want anyone upsetting the team dynamic like last year where we had to get rid of two players for their entertainment choices outside of work.

Edit: by the way, I'm looking forward to your new ground. I refused to ever go back to the old one! A little bit of wind and you'd freeze to death in that place haha.

I'm guessing there will be no penalty imposed on Salford for going into administration? A little unfair if that's the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which one was that? It must have been a big hit to slow him down. If anybody has displayed a total lack of self preservation when carrying the ball or tackling, its him. A great player.

He took a big knock in the Saints match in June 2011, was out for a while with concussion and then a related eye injury. Since then he just doesn't appear to have had the invincible self belief he had before that. Still a good player but not as intimidating as he once was.

Soldato
OP
Edit: by the way, I'm looking forward to your new ground. I refused to ever go back to the old one! A little bit of wind and you'd fraeeze to death i

I'm guessing there will be no penalty imposed on Salford for going into administration? A little unfair if that's the case.

Its still the same ground, its just we are building a north stand! Which does, for the time being until a south stand is built, mean that the prevailing wind will still blow up from the Humber straight into your faces! I wouldn't have it any other way! IF any investment happens then the rumour is a south stand will go up too. The wind at Craven Park is actually quite a big factor on games. It can affect a teams kicking game dramatically, so I expect opposition coaches bear it in mind mind every time they visit.

Not aure about Salford, did they actually go into administration? Not sure they did,

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Fixtures for this weekend:

Friday
Leeds v Hull
Salford v Wigan

Saturday
St Helens v Huddersfield

Sunday
Bradford v Wakefield
Hull KR v Catalan
London v Widnes
Warrington v Castleford

Some good fixtures to start the weekend. I have a feeling Wigan and Warrington may get off to a good start with 2 points. I've highlighted in bold who I think will win.

Thoughts? The only one I can't pick a winner between is Bradford v Wakefield. Two evenly matched sides, maybe home advantage will be the difference. I predict a Rovers win, I really think we have strengthened well and will only get better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thoughts?

Wigan, Wire, Leeds and Saints should all win theirs. The rest are bit touch and go. London fans seem confident they'll walk our game while Widnes fans are more cautious. We really have no idea on the squad yet and whether Hock, Ah Van and a few others are playing. Brown is definitely out for another two weeks at least (Marsh landed on him during training and wrecked his ankle).

Associate
Unable to get to Salford tomorrow night so stuck in front of the TV watching the Leeds game. I'm expecting a big season from Hull FC - it depends if Leeds have their October/play-off heads on.

I can't wait for it all to start again

Soldato
OP
I'm expecting a big season from Hull FC

I'm not! ;)

I can't wait for it all to start again

Me too!

Will be interesting to see how the new ball fairs with the winter weather. It's supposed to be a lot harder to handle and knock-ons/handling errors are probably to be expected.

It also appears that the referees are going to be coming down heavily on sloppy play the balls.

Associate
I have to agree that Hull looked poor.

It must be hard enough being a ref without having to wear a clown's outfit as well. I though Ganson let it flow quite well and there was none of the glut of penalties you get at the start of the season. Not quite the case at Salford I hear. Good result for Wigan though.

Soldato
OP
Ellis injured in warm up? Not good news for them. Good work from Rovers though, Galea and McDonnell messing up for the first try!

The problem Hull have is half back. They don't have a scrum half general and haven't had one for years. Its a position they have been weak in for a while. I thought Holdsworth would have done a better job tonight but they seemingly didn't get into it. Very early days yet, mind.

Can't wait till Sunday, I am literally bouncing off the walls excited! It feels like its been so long.

Last edited:
Associate
Ellis the Marquee signing.......

Looks like he will be in the Marquee most of the time too. :) Hull FC were simply outclassed and I suspect Leeds will take some beating this year.

Back
Top Bottom