*** Official Rugby League SLXVIII Thread ***

Soldato
OP
With the SL fixtures for next year being announced today, HKR have a pretty tough opening 5 fixtures, facing Wigan, Saints, Leeds and Huddersfield, with 3 of those away....

Away to Catalan on Easter Monday, but I doubt my Good Friday Hull derby hangover will have got better by then, so probably won't be going to that, its televised too, so I will give it a miss.

Associate
Burrow needs to be played! Bring him on mid 1st/2nd half to exploit the massive heavy forwards, he'd have had an absolute field day against the French. Going to be tough against NZ, them and the Aussies look a cut above the rest.

Should be a good game, though.

Associate
It won't hurt to play Wigan early on. They kick off a week earlier than everybody else and then they're off down under for 2 weeks. The rumour is a warm up match the weekend of 14 Feb (PNG in Port Moresby has been mentioned) and then the Roosters the following weekend. The WCC takes it out of teams when they're at home - this should really test out the depth of their squad.

Associate
I'm a broken man :(

I'm sick of playing well and being the gallant losers. I know you make your own luck, but when are we going to get a break in games v the big two? The 5-0 penalty count at the start of the second half was the big momentum changer.

Soldato
OP
There's no denying the fact though, that this England team was one of the best we have had in recent years. The likes of Graham and the Burgess brothers have been phenomenal for us.

Associate
That's the best I've seen an England/GB team play against Aus/NZ for a long time. How do we build on this now? The harsh fact is that the best performers yesterday (Burgess/Graham/Widdop) all play in the NRL. The more players we have in their league the more likely we are to beat them, but at what expense to our domestic game?

I bet they keep McBanana on on the strength of yesterday's game. I think that would be a mistake. I'd like to see a part time coach (Wane?, Powell?), but a series against Aus/NZ every year. The reformation of GB wouldn't hurt for tours

Soldato
That's the best I've seen an England/GB team play against Aus/NZ for a long time. How do we build on this now? The harsh fact is that the best performers yesterday (Burgess/Graham/Widdop) all play in the NRL. The more players we have in their league the more likely we are to beat them, but at what expense to our domestic game?

I bet they keep McBanana on on the strength of yesterday's game. I think that would be a mistake. I'd like to see a part time coach (Wane?, Powell?), but a series against Aus/NZ every year. The reformation of GB wouldn't hurt for tours

They should start from scratch (in a way) and start building now for in 4 years time. Get young blood in, a team that will be around for the next world cup. Whats the point in playing Sinfield in a mid season friendly when he wont (shouldnt?) be playing in the next world cup.

They NEED to keep a full time coach, I am not sure in McBanana is the right person for this but who else out there is better?

Soldato
Also... do people want to post who they think their starting 17 will be next year? Are we just renaming this thread again?

1. Matty Russell
2. Chris Riley
3. Chris Bridge
4. Ryan Atkins
5. Joel Monaghan
6. Stefan Ratchford
7. Richie Myler
8. Chris Hill
9. Mickey Higham
10. Roy Asotasi
11. Trent Waterhouse
12. Ben Westwood
13. Simon Grix

14. Michael Monaghan
15. Ben Harrison
16. Paul Wood
17. Ben Currie

Soldato
OP
Also... do people want to post who they think their starting 17 will be next year? Are we just renaming this thread again?

1. Matty Russell
2. Chris Riley
3. Chris Bridge
4. Ryan Atkins
5. Joel Monaghan
6. Stefan Ratchford
7. Richie Myler
8. Chris Hill
9. Mickey Higham
10. Roy Asotasi
11. Trent Waterhouse
12. Ben Westwood
13. Simon Grix

14. Michael Monaghan
15. Ben Harrison
16. Paul Wood
17. Ben Currie

We started a new thread this year and can probs do the same again next year. But yeah, Rovers team:

1. Greg Eden
2. Ben Cockayne / Craig Hall
3. Kris Welham
4. Sean Gleeson
5. David Hodgson
6. Travis Burns
7. Kris Keating
8. Justin Poore
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Michael Weyman
11. Kevin Larroyer
12. Neville Costigan
13. Jamie Langley

14. Adam Walker
15. Graeme Horne / Rhys Lovegrove
16. Keal Carlisle
17. Jonny Walker

Last edited:
Associate
1. Bowen
2. Charnley
3. Goulding
4. Thornley
5. Manfredi/Burgess/Gelling
6. Green
7. Smith
8. Dudson
9. McIlorum
10. Flower
11. Farrell
12. Bateman (assuming the rumour of Hansen to Salford is true)
13. O'Loughlin

14. Pettybourne ( a very pleasant surprise watching him in the WC)
15. Taylor
16. Logan Tomkins
17. Hampshire

Back
Top Bottom