• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Nice one chaps! - I'd prefer the G Skill but as its a bit of a lottery I agree its worth the extra 30 or 40 quid for the 8Pack stuff.

SO! - Back to mainboards - Any further recommendations above and beyond the MSI Carbon (about £150) please? I'm not afraid to spend the little extra but unsure if its warranted for the top-end Asus etc boards. Really trying to avoid Asus this time round - they've screwed me over too much in the past with their lack of support for gear as soon as something new comes out (i.e. every 3 months lol!)

Not interested in extreme overclocking or any at all for that matter just yet - but its always something I'll end up doing once I have time. Just something moderate.... thanks.

The ASRock gaming pro looks good along with the Taichi.

Permabanned
Be sure to check your mobo's manual, but usually A2 and B2 are the recommended slots for 2 DIMMs:
M5iDczz.png

Thanks, I think the memory is the problem even though it's in the right slots, If I boot with it at it's 3200 mhz xmp setting it crashes quickly but if I do it at 2133 or 1888 mhz it can take half an hour or so to crash. The actual screen freezes so nothing moves including the pointer, I downloaded and installed the motherboards latest bio's which is a couple of months old now so if it was a bad bio's presumably it would have been updated more recently. I think I'll have to return the memory and try some Ryzen specific memory and hope that then works.

Soldato
Thanks, I think the memory is the problem even though it's in the right slots, If I boot with it at it's 3200 mhz xmp setting it crashes quickly but if I do it at 2133 or 1888 mhz it can take half an hour or so to crash. The actual screen freezes so nothing moves including the pointer, I downloaded and installed the motherboards latest bio's which is a couple of months old now so if it was a bad bio's presumably it would have been updated more recently. I think I'll have to return the memory and try some Ryzen specific memory and hope that then works.

Your better off not using xmp if your ram is not bdie. Try 2600 on auto timings and see how that goes.

Permabanned
Your better off not using xmp if your ram is not bdie. Try 2600 on auto timings and see how that goes.

I tried them all down to 1866, All the speed effects is how quickly the PC freezes so I'm going to return this ram and get some that's marked for Ryzen specifically. Hopefully that'll fix it, if not I'll get a different motherboard.

Soldato
I tried them all down to 1866, All the speed effects is how quickly the PC freezes so I'm going to return this ram and get some that's marked for Ryzen specifically. Hopefully that'll fix it, if not I'll get a different motherboard.

It should be able to run any ddr4 at 2133 as that's the jedec standard. If not there's a faulty component or something isn't fitted correctly.

Associate
@nashathedog sorry if I missed it, but are they Kingston HyperX kits by any chance?
If you get freezing it might just be faulty kits, so just return them.

Seems like the cheapest Ryzen specific memory is the Team 8pack Dark Pro.

Soldato
Yup the 8pack kit is Samsung b-die, so looks like the best cheap 3200MHz kit to go with.

Is it normal for Ryzen to go over the XFR rated speed at stock? My 1600X is rated 4.1GHz max on two cores but now that I got my R1 fitted in, according to HWiNFO it seems to be going up to 4.17GHz. Didn't use to XFR that high with the Spire cooler.

Soldato
Yup the 8pack kit is Samsung b-die, so looks like the best cheap 3200MHz kit to go with.

Is it normal for Ryzen to go over the XFR rated speed at stock? My 1600X is rated 4.1GHz max on two cores but now that I got my R1 fitted in, according to HWiNFO it seems to be going up to 4.17GHz. Didn't use to XFR that high with the Spire cooler.

Generally its best to manually overclock as then you get the speed you want but can keep the temps / voltage down more. That being said you seem to be doing well as long as your machine is not melting :)

Permabanned
@nashathedog sorry if I missed it, but are they Kingston HyperX kits by any chance?
If you get freezing it might just be faulty kits, so just return them.

Seems like the cheapest Ryzen specific memory is the Team 8pack Dark Pro.

Hi, I've got the Team 8pack dark pro myself unfortunately.

Maybe it's the motherboard but the only way I see any change to what's happening is when I change the speed of the ram, I may send both the motherboard and ram in. Problem there is I've tied a new copy of Win 10 pro to that motherboard.

Associate
Might be a faulty DIMM. You can activate W10 Pro on a different mobo if it's tied to your account, I recall you can just call them if you have any issues and you'll get more activations.

Soldato
Permabanned
Might be a faulty DIMM. You can activate W10 Pro on a different mobo if it's tied to your account, I recall you can just call them if you have any issues and you'll get more activations.

Hopefully that's all it is, I'll put in a return tomorrow, Cheer's for the Win 10 info, It is tied to my account now so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Associate
Shouldn't be an issue then, I went from a Z77 mobo to an X370 one and it just used the W10 license tied to my MS account.
What's are you going to go for next?

Soldato
Generally its best to manually overclock as then you get the speed you want but can keep the temps / voltage down more. That being said you seem to be doing well as long as your machine is not melting :)

Only peaks at 60c when the entire system is stressed so seems fine. I was planning on overclocking but so far haven't felt the need to, although I did have a quick fiddle with 3.8GHz over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom